Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2016 5:44:18 AM EDT
I went back a few pages and didn't see anything concerning this.

I'm pretty well set up as far as preps go; I have all the basic necessities covered. But I'm still stuck on water.

Preferably I would have a large drum or multiple (stackable?) containers that I can keep in my utility room or in some other nooks and crannies in the house. Manual pump as well.

I'm only looking to store maybe a month's worth, and for food and drinking purposes only... not worried about other applications, I can figure that out.

Seems like most of the stuff I see is expensive. Any recommendations for good prices on good products?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Military Water cans are my preferred water storage method.

LCI for milspec cans.

Skepter if your fancy and want something that exceeds milspec.

Buylci.com for the former (search for water can)

lexingtoncontainercompany.com for the latter.

If you do go this route, I'd suggest buying a wrench from jagmte and some pour spouts from lexington container company.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
A month's worth of water is a whole lot of water.

I have some lci containers.  I have a few of the 7 gallon aquatainers.   I have a few cases of bottled water and since I have to take sealed bottles into work the bottled water gets rotated out fast, I am debating how many I want to keep on hand cause space goes fast.

All the above does not come close to a month's worth of water especially at this time of year when it is hot and if outside doing anything I am constantly sweating.  

I have more than a few water filters around as well, and some soso water I would be planning on filtering.

Cooking uses water as well, especially with mountain house stuff or rice and beans or whatever.

For buy once and cry once, some of the lci containers are good and I don't expect to have to replace them.  Aquatainers don't last forever but I have had mine close to 10 years or so.  I baby em these days, just have em filled on a shelf and if going car camping lci stuff goes.  I will also take a 5 gallon coleman round cooler for car camping cause of it having spigot.  It can be used for washing hands and stuff.

I rent so I am not that interested in the 55 gallon drums of water or the 375 gallon totes of water, but that is where decent water storage numbers start showing up in my opinion.

Between staying clean, drinking water, cooking water, water for pets, and whatever else I am forgetting clean water is a big deal.  

On the staying clean, there are other options but depending on what is going on me having a decent shower with clean water can be dang useful.

I also wonder about keeping clean clothes as well.

I really don't want a dirty me or dirty nasty clothes cause then a scratch of something is more likely to be an issue.

But maybe I am overthinking things now.

Will wander in to see if I am off the deep end or not.

I recently had the city water getting worked on, and they did a soso job.  Then they worked on it again.  And again.  Over a week a lot of work done on a water pipe can make you question the water coming out of the sink faucet or shower faucet.  Questioning such things made me realize 100 gallons of water won't really last that long if you sweat all day working and have leg cramps even after drinking a ton of water all day.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda depends.

You could get buy with 1 gallon a day if you made your other preps use as little water as possible.

MREs don't need water to  be consumed, and neither do canned goods. You don't need to bath but once a month and if you really needed to a field bath should need much more then a gallon.

30 gallons in water cans is very easy to do.

ETA: That's not to say that a gallon a day would be a comfortable existence, but it would be an existence.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I built a rack out of 2x6's & joist
hangers to support 3 55 gallon
drums in a horizontal position.

The big bungs are at the bottom
with spigot valves installed, so I
don't need a pump to get it out.

I have treated it, but since times are
ok, I plan to drain it & refill soon.

This is stored in my attached garage,
so I don't have to worry about it freezing
in the winter.

I will do rain catchment when the grid
is down & filter before or after I hand
pump that water back into the drums.

I have 2 creeks bordering both sides of
our property to supplement rain catchment.

Just letting you know what worked for me.

John

Sort of like this, but only square cuts with
the hangers.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, some great info here... I'm slowly forming a plan

I'll be mixing MREs (little water needed, as said) and freeze dried (more water needed) along with canned goods in an emergency.

Trying to minimize my water usage so I'll have plenty ("plenty"... yeah...) of extra no matter how I end up storing it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Water is one thing where it is really interesting to go out to the yard and find the shutoff valve, or basement if you have one of those, and shut it off.

Now have fun.

I will give up electricity long before I give up clean flowing water, even if it is just me using gravity to flow water I really appreciate clean water a whole lot.

I agree lots of things can be cut out or extended in order to stretch the water.

But I know for a fact I value clean water for the ability it gives me to keep my feet happy and any cuts or scrapes clean and clothes clean.  Getting little cuts and scrapes and trying to wear clothes in the sort of heat east tn has right now can lead to little cuts and scrapes not healing as well.  

Trying to stretch water by not drinking enough when working outside in this heat, I don't want to deal with dehydration or heat stroke or something.

Now if I am sitting in my home by my little window ac unit and sipping on my gallon of water that gallon of water will go a whole lot further than if I am outside at all or even better outside doing chores.

Even if I wait til dark it is dang humid and nasty outside these days.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will give up electricity long before I give up clean flowing water,
View Quote

Trying to bleach the image of a first century roman biere in a bath out of my mind

OP

to roughly quote Bogart...you oays your money and make your choice

330 to 375 gallon totes maybe free but are they really food grade and safe.  You need a tractor to move them when full.

55 gallon barrels...price?...really food grade?...How you gonna move it when full?

Five gallon Military Water Cans:  A teen boy can move full ones.  You can buy new clean ones at LCI.  

Recycled gallon gatorade jugs:  Yup food grade. Even most girls can move a full one.  Buy the gatorade get free water jug

Recycled soft drink bottles work out like gatoade bottles.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I store my water in my well. I then store some diesel to be able to run the generator to get the water out of the well

Actually, I need to add some extra stored water just in case the well pump fails one day.

But, with a well I don't worry about storing too much water.

I would store more water if I lived on a public water system.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This might help:

Water Storage Container FAQ
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/686085_Water_jugs_sprang_leaks__Recommend_new_containers_.html      

this had some useful info also
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/686085_Water_jugs_sprang_leaks__Recommend_new_containers_.html      

this had some useful info also
View Quote

Read page 12 of the FAQ linked above.  The so-called "Desert Patrol" sucked over 11 years ago; still sucks today.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of these. Getting another soon. Fits through door and in basement.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top