Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 9:48:36 AM EDT
I bought these for $2 at the flea market.

I think that round white ceramic is one of the absolute best ways to touch up a blade in the field. They wouldn't do well for setting a very dull edge. It makes quick work of a lightly damaged edge.

I used my Mora No. 2 to cut some hay wrapped around the shaft of a chopper. I accidentally touched some steel while cutting it away. A light realignment of the burr was required and it only took a minute with the rod and then stropping to get it dry shaving sharp.

I don't use the base
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are a fine cut ceramic rod. You'll want to clean them up with scouring powder (Ajax) and a wash cloth. That will get most of the embedded metal fragments out and keep it working in the best way. Great find.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a set of those I've had (and use) for > 30 years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
When I graduated from college in '84, my family gave me a 10" Hoffritz/Henckels chef's knife and a ceramic rod V-block sharpener, both from the now defunct Hoffritz specialty store once found in malls.

It works very well still to this day.  Mine has coarse and fine rods and two pair of holes which affect the angle of the rods.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a set of those I've had (and use) for > 30 years.
View Quote

me too...

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are a fine cut ceramic rod. You'll want to clean them up with scouring powder (Ajax) and a wash cloth. That will get most of the embedded metal fragments out and keep it working in the best way. Great find.
View Quote

Chainsaw is correct on this... I use a ceramic "steel" on a daily basis for work and clean it with a mixture scouring powder and liquid soap with a wet Scotch Brite green scrub pad (scrub lengthwise and do not twist it when scrubbing). It makes a world of difference...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the same set up, ceramic and a set of imbedded steel or something that fits the hole. 30 yrs old, I use lansky on a couple knives that thats all they see.

But what I bought thats the same as the ceramic rods is the Smiths at wallymartinez for about 3 bucks, it's the ceramic rods held in place by a plast housing, you could put it in your pocket if need be.

I have one in every glove box, knife drawer and go bag.

They make a few different models, one has the angled carbides on one side and ceramic on the other, one does fish hooks.
For the money you all should check these out, there so easy the wife can or would be willing to use it in the kitchen.

Make great gifts, cheap.

field dressing big game and a quick touch up I want something I can use with cold hands and not lose anything in snow, and still be precise. This is it for the field,
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The un-glazed portion of the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug works in a pinch as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top