Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2016 2:12:13 PM EDT
I've been asking a lot of questions as of late why? Well I'm in an area now where 12 months of the year I can go and do things outdoors with my family that we all enjoy!

Back when I went to Iraq in 2004 I was sent smart wool socks and loved them at the time never looked at the weight or anything like that just know they made my feet happy even with all the foot patrols we did. Right now again I'm living in Southwest Texas and looking for options on good socks for long hikes in hot weather! Not sure what weight to go with not sure if the ultra light and light will be to light for hiking 10+ miles or if the medium weight will be to warm on the feet! My feet sweat a lot but notice don't get stinky feet with wool!

So please help me out and tell me what you think and good brands weights to buy! We are planning a week long trip in July to Big Bend National park we hope so I will have time to use the gear before I put it to the real test! Thank agian!

Also have a letter of conditionally offer for a job in the area where I'm going to be outdoors walking a lot also.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear two pairs of socks.  A cotton pair with a wool pair over that.  They made us do it in bootcamp and I've done it that way ever since.  The only time it made my feet miserable was over in the gulf. But then again it was like 120º on the flight deck all the time and much worse in the aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Medium weight is quite heavy, the standard light hikers are what most people where with boots.

Start with one pair and make sure that's what you want before you get carried away.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Darn Tough Light Hikers and Darn Tough Hiker Boot socks (heavier) year round, for work, hiking, snowshoeing, and casual wear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent two loooooong (for the Navy)  deployments in that AO.  My first trip I was a dumb shit and brought standard bulk pack cotton socks.  They sucked ass bad in every way conceivable it felt like my feet were constantly in pain,  moleskin was my friend.  Deployment #2 I swore would not be a repeat.  I bought some premium smart wool socks (I forget the brand)  which were $12/pr and I bought 14 pairs.  Ouch.  Best money I spent by far. They were a gazillion times better. Theve since worn out but look up a company called "people socks" they make the closest thing I can find today.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Darn Tough Light Hikers and Darn Tough Hiker Boot socks (heavier) year round, for work, hiking, snowshoeing, and casual wear.
View Quote

This right here. I'm based in the PNW but I find myself in AZ, CA, GU, and HI every quarter and all I have is a drawer full of Darn Tough. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This right here. I'm based in the PNW but I find myself in AZ, CA, GU, and HI every quarter and all I have is a drawer full of Darn Tough. Worth every penny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What weight do you use?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly I just use the black boot sock (67% wool IIRC) when they go on sale at Tactical Distributors, though I have a couple pairs of the over the knee mountaineering socks for skiing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear the lightweight and midweight darn tough brand socks In cool and hot weather.  They have a lifetime warranty but I have never had a pair fail completely.
Where I get the says that if I have two socks with holes to bring them in and they will replace no charge.

Quoted:

What weight do you use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What weight do you use?

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Smart wool PHD http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-socks-hike/mens-phd-outdoor-light-crew-socks-sw0sw044?variationId=241

I would wear these every day in the hot months and they also work well as liners/base layers under other socks.

They are thin, not very padded and I would wear them with Lowa Desert Elite or Zephyr (non gortex)

I did not do 10 miles hikes with gear but I did a lot of shorter hikes with a day pack/EDC and a gallon of water.

I was probably out in the desert for at least a hike up a wash, steep hills or trail about 300 days a year..

It is VERY hot in the low desert in summer obviously and with the vented boots / shoes these made for the best every day wear I have found.

In winter I could wear thicker warmer smart wool, wigwam etc.. with different boots.

eta- there are other brands and other socks that may be just as good, but these are what I bought enough of to wear every day and did with no regrets

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Smart wool PHD http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-socks-hike/mens-phd-outdoor-light-crew-socks-sw0sw044?variationId=241

I would wear these every day in the hot months and they also work well as liners/base layers under other socks.

They are thin, not very padded and I would wear them with Lowa Desert Elite or Zephyr (non gortex)
I did not do 10 miles hikes with gear but I did a lot of shorter hikes with a day pack/EDC and a gallon of water.
I was probably out in the desert for at least a hike up a wash, steep hills or trail about 300 days a year..
It is VERY hot in the low desert in summer obviously and with the vented boots / shoes these made for the best every day wear I have found.

In winter I could wear thicker warmer smart wool, wigwam etc.. with different boots.

eta- there are other brands and other socks that may be just as good, but these are what I bought enough of to wear every day and did with no regrets
View Quote

They look a little thicker then the liner socks I have from smartwool. Are these socks a little thicker then dress socks?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I wore Wigwam Hot Weather boot socks with Lowa Zephyrs or OTB Bushmasters. They've been around for a while so there's probably better stuff out there, but they worked great for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been wearing Merino sock for the past decade or so as my "duty socks".  I actually like the lighter versions.  Recently, I've tried some bamboo socks:

Prosok Bamboo Socks

These have turned out to be excellent performers.  The "heavy weight" socks are more like mid-weight wool socks.  They do an excellent job with the humidity here in the SE.  My feet don't funk up much either...they work against the funk smell as well as wool.  I've been experimenting and since I'm pretty much in an office environment now, I've wear the same pair of socks all week, just letting them air out at night...no issues with my feet for smell.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Not serving but. This is my take hiking etc down here is hot humid nastiness.

Summer and even winter(20-50f) I Will wear these.

Cabot and sons merino Wool blend. These are about as thick as cotton socks in the toe and heel box ..but compress and think out in the mid foot arch area. My complaint - I didn't buy ankle height but if I wear bevillie issue boots they are perfect.

Smart wool med wt...good sock but way to thick for here..they are my deer stand...stay warm sock.

Thorlos . Ankle high hiker. Super cushy ..not as supportive of a fit like Cabot or smatwools but. Man it feels like you foots floating on down feathers .

Merrel/keen

These are basic left right fitted merino blend hikers. Cushion heel and toe boxes and supportive /thinner mid foot arch areas. So far. So good. They are thinner than my others and only gripe is again. I seem to not by ankle high socks when I hate stuff that's crew length.

Assorted synthetic blend sport socks. I've got wigwams...feetures..etc. some merino blend other full sport sick. Feetures are specific left right supportive socks. Decent cushion..good sock for summer and breathabilty. Only problem with these socks in general is not much cushion . I normally pack a pair because they are small ..light..dry fast..
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wore Wigwam Hot Weather boot socks with Lowa Zephyrs.
View Quote

My feet run hot.  I love my Lowa Zephyr non-goretex with the wigwam or some surplus khaki boot socks when I am in the desert.  I am no desert rat, but I do love those for my overnight trips and my feet do not overheat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My feet run hot.  I love my Lowa Zephyr non-goretex with the wigwam or some surplus khaki boot socks when I am in the desert.  I am no desert rat, but I do love those for my overnight trips and my feet do not overheat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wore Wigwam Hot Weather boot socks with Lowa Zephyrs.

Where you guys finding them without goretex? Also what are  the price? Amazon has them from $139 to $200 all goretex. Last know if they come in wide?

Edited to add: Went to Academy today and found light hiking Smartwool socks for $3 they only had one pair. Also got my son a pair for $1.98 light hikers also clearance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the ProSocks for Warrior Dashes and Toughman runs, and Thorlos for hiking and sking and they seem to work out well.

OP I don't know if you've ever been to Big Bend before; but it's usually hot as #!&@ in May.
I think if I had to do it in July I'd seriously consider double tarping my campsite and the more shade the better.
I'd try to get the crew back to the campsite by 1100 at the latest and carry plenty of water.
It is an interesting desert park for sure.  
We were able to get a break from the heat by following the road up into the Chisos; I guess the elevation was high enough to get some cool air.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've used the ProSocks for Warrior Dashes and Toughman runs, and Thorlos for hiking and sking and they seem to work out well.

OP I don't know if you've ever been to Big Bend before; but it's usually hot as #!&@ in May.
I think if I had to do it in July I'd seriously consider double tarping my campsite and the more shade the better.
I'd try to get the crew back to the campsite by 1100 at the latest and carry plenty of water.
It is an interesting desert park for sure.  
We were able to get a break from the heat by following the road up into the Chisos; I guess the elevation was high enough to get some cool air.
View Quote

Thanks not sure if this trip is going to happen this summer! We are new to the area and our jobs so it might be until 2017 if we go during the summer! Winter might be best for us as it is not as hot!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
iirc we went during the Spring Break time frame that year and it was bearable in the morning and later evening; but hot as hell the rest of the time.
The park water had an off taste to it but was drinkable.  If taste is an issue bring your own for potable water.  
And we had javelinas going through the campsite at night.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Smartwool PHD light weight. I wear crew length but if you're wearing lower shoes, you can get shorter socks to keep you a bit cooler.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: Lowa Zephyr non-goretex

Where you guys finding them without goretex? Also what are  the price? Amazon has them from $139 to $200 all goretex. Last know if they come in wide?

View Quote

REI had them on the shelf.

https://www.rei.com/product/856453/lowa-zephyr-mid-hiking-boots-mens

I don't see wide sizes, and I ended up with a 13 when I normally wear a 12, so be sure to try them on or buy from somebody with a liberal return policy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Medium weight is quite heavy, the standard light hikers are what most people where with boots.

Start with one pair and make sure that's what you want before you get carried away.
View Quote

This. I use lightweight Under Armor socks, and I also have some smartwool (wigwams?) that work very well and served me well through my deployments. Try a couple out. They can get spendy, so make sure you like em before you go ARFCOM and buy them all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Lived in AZ my whole life and hike often on long trips. Best sock I have found is the Bass Pro brand (RedHead) heavyweight wool. I wear these daily now, summer and winter. When hiking over 10 miles I always switch out to keep my feel cool from hot spots but they generally stay very dry.

Oh and they are life time warranty but I have yet to wear out even my oldest pair that's over six years old.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

These seem to hold up longer than Smartwool in similar thicknesses for my wife and I.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've bought a few different pairs at REI that have been great.  One pair has reinforced padding on the heel and toes, and is light weight in the middle, the other two pairs are like two socks in one. There's an inner and outer layer that "float" to keep friction between your foot and not too a minimum.  The only problem, is that they're impossible to put back on if you take them off your feet when they're sweaty.

I avoid cotton socks at all costs now, and don't wear wool unless it's cold out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top