Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 12:07:37 AM EDT
Anything out there of the Chem lightstick type

that's basic, puts out white light ,runs on 1 or 2 AA's , is mil spec durable and has decent run time ?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
While not a AA battery powered lite.. I use Lazerbrite LED's

They run off CR-2032 batteries.

Sorry I went against what you requested but it's the best I found
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Glo-toob now has a model that runs on AAA.

GT-AAA

I have a couple of the GT-Lithium that have held up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There is Krill light.

Krill Light
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Krill light looks good.  A little spendy.  Do you own one?  Which color?

The glo toob is around $20.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys ..

I think ill go with the Krill lights in AA  or possibly AAA as they seen a bit narrower than the AA offering and will fit in Molle/webbing loops
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Krill light looks good.  A little spendy.  Do you own one?  Which color?

The glo toob is around $20.

View Quote

No, I don't own a Krill light. All I know about them is what I have read online. I don't think they are as bright as the other options. It's based on the same technology as Timex Indiglo. I do have a white and red Glo-Toob Lithium. They work well for a marker/dim area light/tent light and have been durable. I wish they made one that took AA. I may get one of the AAA Glo-Toobs sometime. I am really interested in the Lazerbrite mentioned above. That was the first I'd heard of them and I used to pay a lot of attention to lights a few years ago. In a power outage and while camping, a lantern/area light is as important to me as a flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not get a modern multi mode 2xAA flashlight that accepts a diffuser tube on the end?

Chris
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not get a modern multi mode 2xAA flashlight that accepts a diffuser tube on the end?

Chris
View Quote

That is good suggestion. The flashlights available today offer so much more as far as output, efficiency, durability, cost, interface, and battery options than the marker/area lights. Pick the light then pick a diffuser to use it as an area light. It's another option to look at.

Fenix Diffuser Page
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is good suggestion. The flashlights available today offer so much more as far as output, efficiency, durability, cost, interface, and battery options than the marker/area lights. Pick the light then pick a diffuser to use it as an area light. It's another option to look at.

Fenix Diffuser Page
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Fenix Diffuser Page

You can even make diffusers out of tops to cans, or bottles.  As an example, for 'some' AA/AAA lights, an original ChapStick cap can be made to work, but there are a ton of others out there, that will work.  Think clearish caps for Zephyrhills water bottles, et. al.  

Much like Butler Creek flip up caps, just measure the OD of a particular light and start testing stuff, if you can't find a purpose built item.

I've looked at Glo-Toobs for 3-4 years and I just can't justify the price/performance compared to even a dinky Olight i3s  AAA flashlight for $20.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if a diffuser could me made for the $3.33 cent ULTRAFIRE one AA lights that are all over amazon..They are decent small led flashlights for CHEAP MONEY.

hell i bought 20 of them for $60 bucks ..direct from china..took about 2 weeks to get here..but they were half the price as other sellers and all aluminum with cree LED
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend gave a Krill several
years ago while I was working
on my pilots license. They are not
very bright, but are designed for
map reading in low light & are of
a wave length to protect ones
night vision. I have had this one
for 10 years, and it still works
just fine, but I haven't done
any night flying in several
years, so it has not been used
much. I do keep it in my head
set bag, just in case I need it.

John
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
The Electroluminescent technology that Krill lightsticks use reached maturity well before LEDs started getting super-efficient.

Since then, modern LEDs have eclipsed EL light sources in just about every way - Efficiency, maximum brightness, dimmability, range of color choices, focusability, ability be be flashed or strobed, small size, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The Lazerbrite Generation II lights are $15 on their Closeouts page. That model is water resistant rather than water proof, but it's a little cheaper for anyone that just wants to try them out. (I have no financial interest in the company. I am just interested in the product.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is Krill light.

Krill Light
View Quote

I tried a few varieties of the Krills
Stick with the green ones that replicate an actual chemlight the best
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is Krill light.

Krill Light
View Quote

I have 2-3 of these I was issued, they are pretty good for long term marking things in a non-tactical environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top