BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 10:59:30 PM EDT
I'm considering one to power my boiler.

http://ezgeneratorswitch.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
i will say thats a neat idea. not sure its $80 each neat but still, if all you need is one circuit its not that bad i guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Very simple solution! A break - before - make switch setup...

You could build your own.
Rocker Switch PDF -> @ Mouser

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I just use an interlock on the main breaker. That way I can run what I want to. Simple.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just use an interlock on the main breaker. That way I can run what I want to. Simple.
View Quote

I have the same setup with an Interlock switch.  With an interlock you can power any circuit in your house.
The above captioned product is for a single circuit, which would work if you just wanted to run your well pump or something like that or maybe if you were needing multiple portable generators.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a welder? Or any 220/240 outlet anywhere in/around your house?  Turn off main breaker, every breaker you dont need, leave on the ones you want, done. Zero extra cost, and wiring, when you plug your genny into the 220/240 plug.  Its AC not DC.  But, if you could not figure that out, probably you should not be doing it the smart way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you have a welder? Or any 220/240 outlet anywhere in/around your house?  Turn off main breaker, every breaker you dont need, leave on the ones you want, done. Zero extra cost, and wiring, when you plug your genny into the 220/240 plug.  Its AC not DC.  But, if you could not figure that out, probably you should not be doing it the smart way.
View Quote

Back feeding is not how I prefer to power the house. It requires a double male adapter, which I have the materials to make, but it's not ideal, and could be dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Back feeding is not how I prefer to power the house. It requires a double male adapter, which I have the materials to make, but it's not ideal, and could be dangerous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, it doesnt.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, it doesnt.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/mylt1/genny_zpsl6s0j99a.jpg

Backfeeding through an existing outlet DOES require a double male cord.  

It works but is not recommended as the plan.  I would be willing to do it in an emergency but I also know what I'm doing with electricity.  For the average person, it's stupid.

I have proper generator transfer switches on the house I'm building and had a proper one on my last house as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

clowns.  clowns everywhere.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm considering one to power my boiler.
http://ezgeneratorswitch.com/
View Quote

they are indeed useful for a single load.

for more versatile approaches, see my work-in-progress...
http://losdos.dyndns.org/wiki/reference:generator_oracle

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not in boiler country so I know nothing about them.  But If your boiler only requires a  110V circuit smaller than 20 amps you have another easy alternative: replace the hardwired boiler circuit with a standard  electrical outlet and a plug wired to the boiler controller. When the power goes out, simply unplug the boiler from the outlet and plug into the extension cord running to your generator.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Suicide plug is going to suck when you are on the road and you are trying to guide your wife in the middle of the night...have a set up that will work in the worst scenario
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top