Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a big knife? Go to khukuri house and get yourself a chitlange

It's ridiculous, but solidly made. I got it more just to have than use, but I'm pretty sure I could demo a house with this thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Condor Matt Graham. Gets super sharp fast. Point is perfect for drilling holes.
Not really a problem, but tree sap stains it fast.
View Quote

I'm really wanting this knife.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered some real parang's from Malaysia. Bought them from OutdoorDynamics. I bought the cheap ones with plastic handles. I bought 6 of them with shipping for $116. You can order straight from Malaysia, just email them before ordering. Email response was quick, within a day. Locals make a sheath from bamboo or wood, or plastic tubing. The handles are just cheap plastic, but can be replaced by wood. The more I read about blade shapes, full tang and weight it steered me away from the Condor Parang. They also sell more expensive ones, same blades with wood handles for $60ish. Check these vids out if interested.

This guys channel is awesome.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a BK10 the other day and I can't wait to get it out into the woods. Its my 2nd Becker and won't be my last. IMO the BK knives are a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well the man in the brown truck dropped this off today. I can't wait to use it this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just ordered some real parang's from Malaysia. Bought them from OutdoorDynamics. I bought the cheap ones with plastic handles. I bought 6 of them with shipping for $116. You can order straight from Malaysia, just email them before ordering. Email response was quick, within a day. Locals make a sheath from bamboo or wood, or plastic tubing. The handles are just cheap plastic, but can be replaced by wood. The more I read about blade shapes, full tang and weight it steered me away from the Condor Parang. They also sell more expensive ones, same blades with wood handles for $60ish. Check these vids out if interested.

https://youtu.be/1QKNa7EbfAI

http://youtu.be/yU5zz_A5R0s

View Quote

Junglecraft is a good channel.  I have been subscribed to him for a while.  He doesn't put very many videos out, but the ones he does are very interesting.  I don't have much interest in going to any jungles, but its neat to watch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well the man in the brown truck dropped this off today. I can't wait to use it this weekend.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2z82gj9.jpg

View Quote
Report back.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Junglecraft is a good channel.  I have been subscribed to him for a while.  He doesn't put very many videos out, but the ones he does are very interesting.  I don't have much interest in going to any jungles, but its neat to watch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just went through all of his videos over the past week. Good channel for sure.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a tramontina bolo. Bought a leather condor sheath for it and still under thirty bucks. If you're gonna be cutting anything thick get a axe. Otherwise any long blade with decent steel is gonna work about the same.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Schrade SCHF9

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The condor Parangs, especiallly the Mini Duku, are not necessarily supposed to be authentic but effective. I read lots of reviews and watch lots of videos that say the Condor parangs are all wrong but they are extremly effective none the less. Most of those reviewers were worried more about authenticity than how they work.

One of the main gripes is the lack of distal taper on the Condor, which my Mini Duku has. I'm planning on buying the regular Duku as well to try it out in the regular machete role. I'm not sure how much distal taper it has but it's probably on par with the Mini.  

The other gripe is that the full tang is supposed to transfer more shock to the user. My Mini Duku transfers much less shock to my hand and wrist than my Cold Steel LTC Kukri. Holding the ball at the end of the handle allows a lot more rotational action to the swing for chopping. This is much easier with my Duku grip than with the standard parang grip. This grip transfers very little shock to my hands and wrists.

The Mini Duku has one major advantage over a standard Parang. It's short. It's very compact for a knife with it's monster chopping ability. 10.5" cutting edge and it cuts better than my 18" Ontario Machete by far. It destroys the CS LTC too. It matches many of my hatchets pretty well and those generally cut far better than average because of the thin convex edges I use.

None of this takes anything away from the Malaysian Parangs. They are very effective and well designed. I have no criticisms other than the plastic handle and short tang and neither of those should stop you from trying one. I would love to buy one someday. I want a Condor Duku first.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.khukuriblades.com/

you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd get an ESEE Laserstrike.  I had the ESEE 4, but the Laserstrike seems much nicer to work with, especially around a campfire, or basically in any task.  A little heavier, but very stout.  Not too heavy.   A great knife.  Would definitely buy again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a Becker fan, currently  have the RTAK 2, BK9 AND Junglas.  If forced to pick one it would probably be the Junglas. Once I change the scales and sheath on the BK9 that might change. You get all that up front with the Junglas. I use them all but am less concerned with beating on the RTAK.

Someone else said it if your looking for a chopper look at the BK4 it's an awesome knife. I never really liked the looks of it but being a becker fan I heard they were discontinuing it so I had to get one. It's not in your list but since owning it, it's been the one I reach for going into the woods, recently more than the 3 above. Time will tell for me, Its probably not for everyone or every situation, but currently my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]

This.  Love mine but it is big.  I also have a Trailmaster in O1 tool steel which is a great "big knife", but I like the feel of the Junglas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Get a parang! This is about as effective as my small camp hatchet for wood prep... heavier too
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmm, no one mentioned the Woodsman's Pal.  That, a reasonably sized fixed blade and a multi tool will do just about everything that needs doing.

I prefer Gerber multi tools, but there are several good ones out there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I too am a fan of the Woodsman Pal. It is perfect when clearing sagebrush on my snare line.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock field knife is the biggest knife I want.  I have a kukri but probably prefer a hatchet or axe for almost all chopping unless it is clearing brushy stuff like multiflora rose.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb415/Wulfp3ngwin/BRKT%20PARANG%202.jpg

Get a parang! This is about as effective as my small camp hatchet for wood prep... heavier too
View Quote

Looks like you may have not used it much yet so I want to let you know to be careful with that Bark River parang. It cuts through limbs with a lot less force needed than what you might think. It is one of the most efficient choppers I have ever used and I can see how someone could easily put  a decent swing on it and have it travel through to flesh.

Excellent choice. I really like mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like you may have not used it much yet so I want to let you know to be careful with that Bark River parang. It cuts through limbs with a lot less force needed than what you might think. It is one of the most efficient choppers I have ever used and I can see how someone could easily put  a decent swing on it and have it travel through to flesh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the picture it looks like a long flat grind instead of a convex. What is the grind? If it is a long flat grind like the BG parang, how is the edge retention? The BG is very poor but that would partially be steel quality as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock field knife is the biggest knife I want.  I have a kukri but probably prefer a hatchet or axe for almost all chopping unless it is clearing brushy stuff like multiflora rose.
View Quote

+1.  I really enjoy my Glock field knife.  If I need something bigger I step up to an axe, bucksaw or chainsaw  

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]

DING! GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
From another thread but I thought it would apply here.  My woods walk.

I like my yellow Junglas!!!!  HOWEVER, it isn't the best cheese slicer out there  It will do in a pinch though!!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In the picture it looks like a long flat grind instead of a convex. What is the grind? If it is a long flat grind like the BG parang, how is the edge retention? The BG is very poor but that would partially be steel quality as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convex

Edge retention is excellent
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Its been doing the WORK for the Nepalese people for hundreds of years, The Kukuri !!! From killing to cooking to farm work it can all be done with this knife. Its my main go to for everything, Himalayan Imports Kukuri Chiruwa Ang Khola model is the best one in there line up. The Himalayan Imports Ang Khola has been recommended in articles which appeared in every major knife magazine in the US. This knife is considered by many experts to be the toughest knife in the world. It has chopped up steel drums and junk cars with no damage to the knife. In lateral strength tests which destroyed other knives the Ang Khola would not budge. You simply can't break it !!!

This is a picture of my H.I. Kukuri that goes with me on camping trips and is my SHTF blade.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its been doing the WORK for the Nepalese people for hundreds of years, The Kukuri !!! From killing to cooking to farm work it can all be done with this knife. Its my main go to for everything, Himalayan Imports Kukuri Chiruwa Ang Khola model is the best one in there line up. The Himalayan Imports Ang Khola has been recommended in articles which appeared in every major knife magazine in the US. This knife is considered by many experts to be the toughest knife in the world. It has chopped up steel drums and junk cars with no damage to the knife. In lateral strength tests which destroyed other knives the Ang Khola would not budge. You simply can't break it !!!
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/assets/images/16-5inChiruwaAk-Ank.jpg

This is a picture of my H.I. Kukuri that goes with me on camping trips and is my SHTF blade.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8745/16723062397_bd938e6c29_b.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/503/18101553743_35fff22193_b.jpg
View Quote

The blade is 1/2" thick? How much does it weight? That takes the sharpened crow bar concept to the ridiculous.

Got any pictures of stuff you chopped with it? I would almost be willing to bet that I could out chop that thing with a 1lb tomahawk. I don't care if it can chop up a car if it doesn't do regular camp chores as well as a tool 1/4 the weight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The blade is 1/2" thick? How much does it weight? That takes the sharpened crow bar concept to the ridiculous.

Got any pictures of stuff you chopped with it? I would almost be willing to bet that I could out chop that thing with a 1lb tomahawk. I don't care if it can chop up a car if it doesn't do regular camp chores as well as a tool 1/4 the weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does all that and then some !!! Mine weighs just a bit over 1 lb. and have personally cut 6 inch logs with it. Himalayan Imports has many different size and weight Khukuri's from 5" to 20"+ and 5 oz weight to 38 oz +. Plenty of YouTube videos out there on H.I. Khukuri's chopping and preparing food !!! Plenty of additional info over on Blade Forums
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does all that and then some !!! Mine weighs just a bit over 1 lb. and have personally cut 6 inch logs with it. Himalayan Imports has many different size and weight Khukuri's from 5" to 20"+ and 5 oz weight to 38 oz +. Plenty of YouTube videos out there on H.I. Khukuri's chopping and preparing food !!! Plenty of additional info over on Blade Forums
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched several videos. Nothing in them was impressive. I really think the Kukri ( I had the Cold Steel LTC kukri) is a better weapon than a wood working / bushcraft tool. I watched a guy hit a maple branch 3" in diameter about 40 times and my Mini Duku would cut it through in about 8 to 10 swings.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I watched several videos. Nothing in them was impressive. I really think the Kukri ( I had the Cold Steel LTC kukri) is a better weapon than a wood working / bushcraft tool. I watched a guy hit a maple branch 3" in diameter about 40 times and my Mini Duku would cut it through in about 8 to 10 swings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Himalayan Imports is a REAL kukuri and like I said before they make many different sizes and weights for any chore. Cold Steel is made as a light and fast weapon, H.I. is made for work !!! There are a lot of other online companies but they are considered tourist kukuri sellers and do not compare to H.I. quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lPiHG3y12Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppen_Yf2BZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgB6WpwGwO4

Great Review Here:
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/reviews/18_ang_khola.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Batman do you have to be so condescending to others in every one of your posts? We get it you like to sharpen knives and put down others to make yourself feel better. Give it a break. We all know through your pat on the back threads and posts that you are the god of sharpening and not another person or manufacturer on the planet has a clue on how to do things as good as you. Please let others discuss their likes/dislikes and experiences with different things so we can get many points of view and make our own decisions. That is what we are all here for, to share our love of the outdoors and the enjoyment we get out of playing with gear. I'm sure I'm not the only person here tired of reading about you badmouthing others and congratulating yourself in every one of your posts. If I'm in the wrong I apologize to other members and management in advance. Just can't stand to see others always put down.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:49:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Batman do you have to be so condescending to others in every one of your posts? We get it you like to sharpen knives and put down others to make yourself feel better. Give it a break. We all know through your pat on the back threads and posts that you are the god of sharpening and not another person or manufacturer on the planet has a clue on how to do things as good as you. Please let others discuss their likes/dislikes and experiences with different things so we can get many points of view and make our own decisions. That is what we are all here for, to share our love of the outdoors and the enjoyment we get out of playing with gear. I'm sure I'm not the only person here tired of reading about you badmouthing others and congratulating yourself in every one of your posts. If I'm in the wrong I apologize to other members and management in advance. Just can't stand to see others always put down.

View Quote

No you're not wrong. I like reading his posts but he does need to tone it down.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Batman may take a very opinionated position on different gear, blades, etc. but I have NEVER read one of his posts where he has put any one down.  

Not agreeing with what gear is best for whatever task is not putting some one down, that's just his perspective and opinion on the topic...  

I know many long term posters here take a very opinionated stance on gear, because we have what we like, and we like what we use.  Extensive experience and usage with whatever it might be has lead us to believe that its good, and for us it may be, doesn't mean you have to agree.

I try not to come across on forums as argumentative but your post is not appropriate.  If you don't agree with what is being posted, then counter with your own opinion and explanation.  That's the whole point of forums and why they exist.  Learning through debate, explanation, and opinion.  If you don't like whatever your reading and can't provide a meaningful counter then don't subscribe to that thread.

I am going to be honest,  When I saw the blade profile shot with a quarter I thought the same thing that was posted above.  But we all know every one has their own opinion, just because you don't agree doesn't make the other opinion wrong, or an insult.

Heck, I prefer an axe, saw, and folder but that doesn't make a large blade choice wrong, its just different.

Kbar vs axe vs 9mm vs 45ACP vs Bic vs ferrocerium rod vs Zippo vs strike anywhere matches vs Kelty vs alice vs Maxpedition vs Mora vs Buck vs Leatherman vs Gerber vs Victorinox vs Ford vs Chevy vs Jeep vs Toyota vs hi-lift jack vs bottle jack vs Israeli bandage vs tourniquet vs Life-straw vs Sawyer filter vs bolt action vs pump action vs 1911 vs Glock vs......  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This forum used to be a hot bed of discussion,  disagreement,  and learning. Now it can go days with no really interesting topics or discussion. If there is no engagement on the things we post then there is no reason to bother with this forum. The survival part of Arfcom is dying.

I am sorry you don't care for my participation. I try to get people to think about what they plan (or fantasize) they will do. If you post something silly they you may not have thought out your plan very well. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or invade your safe space when I question you.

Just the other day I saw a guy post on another forum that he carries 10 ferrocerium rods in his BOB. Each one is good for thousands of fires. Am I hurting or helping to point out the error in his thinking?

Group think is a hindrance to growth. If you see me post about something outside of the mainstream thought here you can bet there is a good reason. When I see people who are stuck in the group think box I will always challenge them. That is how we all learn and grow.

My apologies to those I offend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This forum used to be a hot bed of discussion,  disagreement,  and learning. Now it can go days with no really interesting topics or discussion. If there is no engagement on the things we post then there is no reason to bother with this forum. The survival part of Arfcom is dying.

I am sorry you don't care for my participation. I try to get people to think about what they plan (or fantasize) they will do. If you post something silly they you may not have thought out your plan very well. I am not trying to hurt your feelings or invade your safe space when I question you.

Just the other day I saw a guy post on another forum that he carries 10 ferrocerium rods in his BOB. Each one is good for thousands of fires. Am I hurting or helping to point out the error in his thinking?

Group think is a hindrance to growth. If you see me post about something outside of the mainstream thought here you can bet there is a good reason. When I see people who are stuck in the group think box I will always challenge them. That is how we all learn and grow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't offend me. I have no problems with differing opinions but you can come off as a know it all. It's one thing if you have experience with the subject at hand. but when you reference YouTube as your experience with something it doesn't Bode well for your argument. But I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you. As I said I like your reviews.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You don't offend me. I have no problems with differing opinions but you can come off as a know it all. It's one thing if you have experience with the subject at hand. but when you reference YouTube as your experience with something it doesn't Bode well for your argument. But I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you. As I said I like your reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watch video reviews to gather other people's experiences with various tools. They I go outside and experience them for myself first hand and then report results.

Often this is after I modify the tool to suit my preferences.

Once I see how a tool performs I often post pictures supporting my conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Definitely not offended. I too value the input I've seen come from you as you seem knowledgeable on the subject of blades. I have been apart of this site for at least 10 years but lost my original login. My only issue like I stated is you come off over the top. I'm not trying to detract from your contributions but maybe have you look at the way you address others. It seems instead of posting your opinion you have to tell others why theirs is bad. Their "sharpened crowbar" is inferior to your blades no matter the success they have had with it. Go back and read some of your posts and you will see what I mean. You seem to be a nice guy but we don't need every post you make to be about how no one is as good as you and your skills are amazing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I know what to expect when I click a thread by most folks who post in here a whole lot.  And with some folks I have to be in a certain mood or just killing time to want to wade into their threads.

I am pretty sure batmanacw explained why and how he does the edges he does.  And tested a few things first.  Probably in some threads from last year I guess but it could go back even more than that.  Since he does post here and there it is easy for me to kind of keep his past threads in mind and I recall an old sharpening thread as well.

So now when he gets something at the front door he knows he will probably want to redo the edge, and honestly if I saw someone testing a product out I would want to know if they used the factory edge, touched up the factory edge, or totally redid the factory edge like this poster tends to do.

Some take it as bragging.  I take it as showing me what showed up, he explains why he dislikes it, and he explains why he does what he does.  Then he gets out and plays around and talks about how it did.

I recall some youtube vids where dude opened up a nice expensive knife, chris reeve I think but it was years ago.  He explained everything the knife could do and he lovingly wore gloves while handling his and still wiped it down before putting it away as a collector item.  I have no problem with collector items, but I laugh about that vid still cause dude said it would be perfect for eotwawki and what not, but dang if he was going to use it for anything til then or know if he could touch up the edge when it needed it.  Could have also been a randall knife as well, I like and do collect knives but dang if I want to pull an untested knife out and trust it.  And more importantly for me, I want to know I can keep the edge touched up or if I need to learn how then I need to learn to do so.

Anyway, please keep posting threads and posts and continue onwards.  These days it is winter so my skin is thick and maybe I am not seeing what someone else has noticed.

But I personally would like all the facts and having pics is nice.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m always offended by batmanacw!

I love a good khukuri and for all the versatility they can provide, they do have some disadvantages.  First, a “real” khukuri will have some weight and heft to it.  This does aid in chopping, but will wear your arm out for extended chopping.  Even though my khuk’s are razor sharp and will cut green vegetation easily, they don’t make good machetes!  Some people just can’t sharpen a recurve blade like a khukuri, so that can be a challenge for the initiated.  

Still, I really like the design and versatility.  I would say the same thing about a forward-weighted parang with a convex grind.  These will chop wood quite well; not as effective as an ax, but often better than most hatchets.

I’m pretty open minded.  I’ve been all over the world and I found the tool effectiveness is directly linked to the skill of the user more so than the design.  Design is important, but without the skill to maximize the potential, it’s just another sharpened piece of steel.

ROCK6  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Definitely not offended. I too value the input I've seen come from you as you seem knowledgeable on the subject of blades. I have been apart of this site for at least 10 years but lost my original login. My only issue like I stated is you come off over the top...
View Quote

He comes off as imperious at times, it's just the way it is.  I doubt it's personal, more of a flare for being confrontational and contrarian to perceived conventional wisdom.  It's been kind of interesting to watch him learn and grow and evolve opinion over the years.

Don't let it rub you the wrong way. There is more than one way to skin a cat and plenty of opinions about which way is right and wrong.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He comes off as imperious at times, it's just the way it is.  I doubt it's personal, more of a flare for being confrontational and contrarian to perceived conventional wisdom.  It's been kind of interesting to watch him learn and grow and evolve opinion over the years.

Don't let it rub you the wrong way. There is more than one way to skin a cat and plenty of opinions about which way is right and wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely not offended. I too value the input I've seen come from you as you seem knowledgeable on the subject of blades. I have been apart of this site for at least 10 years but lost my original login. My only issue like I stated is you come off over the top...

Every time I learn something interesting I post about it here so we can all learn together. It's not bragging. It's just growth. I want folks to challenge my conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Shopping around for a Junglas, I noticed that the Ontario RTAK II looks almost exactly the same as far as blade ad handle profile, but is made of a different steel (5160, I think). Would either of these steels perform differently enough in the field for anyone to notice?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shopping around for a Junglas, I noticed that the Ontario RTAK II looks almost exactly the same as far as blade ad handle profile, but is made of a different steel (5160, I think). Would either of these steels perform differently enough in the field for anyone to notice?
View Quote

It looks the same because it was designed by esse. Before Ontario fucked them Over and stole their name. Esse used to be called rat cutlery.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It looks the same because it was designed by esse. Before Ontario fucked them Over and stole their name. Esse used to be called rat cutlery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that, but didn't know the circumstances of the name change. Looks like I'll be buying the ESEE instead, because all things being equal, I prefer to deal with companies that have good reputations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Deal fell through on the pair of ESEE knives, so I went to Amazon and ordered an ESEE-6, which should be here in about a week.

Now that I'm going to the field again, I do believe this sucker will come in right handy!

Probably gonna order a 4 next.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I remember that, but didn't know the circumstances of the name change. Looks like I'll be buying the ESEE instead, because all things being equal, I prefer to deal with companies that have good reputations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the thread about it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I 2nd the Hi Kukri.
Its more robust than the Jungulas, and will be a better chopper, but still can be used as a "knife" .  And as mentioned above, you'd be hard pressed to find a more durable piece.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Myself owning both a Hi, and a handful of Tomahawks, I can honestly say that the Hi smokes the Tomahawk in chopping.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Myself owning both a Hi, and a handful of Tomahawks, I can honestly say that the Hi smokes the Tomahawk in chopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would bet that if you spend the time to learn to put a proper edge on your tomahawk that would all change. Thin cheeks and a long thin convex will absolutely transform it. The huge kukri has a lot of weight advantage but it ceases to matter once the edge is right. Speed takes over for weight in the energy equation. I cut 1" thick hanging vines with my tomahawk that that would normally be a machete or knife only job.

This is not bragging. It's simple geometry and velocity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Batman, have you ever tried a tutorial post on how you do convex grinds?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top