Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 6:46:52 PM EDT
I've tried to find the answer in the forums but I'm not getting what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for suggestions for a radio (walkie talkie) that I can speak to my wife with from 20 miles away.  This would be for my GHB and in the event of and EMP and the grid goes down (I understand that they would need to be stored in a faraday cage).  What I have been told is that radios would not work because they need some sort of "transponder' or some shit.  Is this true?  If not, what radios would be good for this distance?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Repeater, not transponder. Google local ham radio clubs in your area and show up to one of their monthly meetings. They will be more than happy to help you out and give you local info like frequencies that you'll need to know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless your walkie talkie has a four foot antenna, there just isn't any handheld radius that will work over a twenty mile flat area.

Add any kind of terrain between subscriber units, and it gets worse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Line of sight for a flat earth, taking into account the curvature of the earth is just under 3 miles.  Past that, you'll need a repeater (typically on a hilltop or tall building).  Anything handheld will be 2m/70cm, or FRS/GMRS etc and they won't work without a repeater.

So, you're going to have to look for something that offers groundwave propagation, or short skip.
10 meters did have some handhelds if I recall, but I don't think they would have the power for 20+ miles of groundwave.  10 meters can be good, but is dependent on atmospheric conditions.  If you went with 100w 10 meter mobiles, you might do it.

For groundwave propagation of 20+ miles, you're going to need a dipole or NVIS and an HF transceiver.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've tried to find the answer in the forums but I'm not getting what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for suggestions for a radio (walkie talkie) that I can speak to my wife with from 20 miles away.  This would be for my GHB and in the event of and EMP and the grid goes down (I understand that they would need to be stored in a faraday cage).  What I have been told is that radios would not work because they need some sort of "transponder' or some shit.  Is this true?  If not, what radios would be good for this distance?
View Quote

see
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html
and especially
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html&page=2#i10473346

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Just want to say thanks to all of you that responded.  It looks like I have a lot of homework to do because I just realized how little I actually know.  Thank God for this website and all of you guys that are willing to share your knowledge.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Well put.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oddly enough you live in one of the areas of CA that doesn't have a lot of repeaters but there may be one in your local city that I don't know about. Talk with your CERT/RACES people in your community to see what's available.

Locally I live near large mountains that have both 2M, 440 MHz, and 220 MHz CondorNet. My military command runs their own 220 MHz repeater which we open to all who want to use it correctly.

Once you two obtain your "Technicians" license you're good-to-go with any UHF or VHF radio. Locally my club teaches classes occassionally but we just can't compete with the local Mormon church who runs a 6-hour program where they cram enough into your skull to pass the test in an afternoon. My club tests every other week and as a Volunteer Examiner I've had 9 year old and +90 year olds (an old WWII vet) pass their exams.

I would recommend getting a pair of 5W 2M handi-talkies and use them via repeaters or in simplex mode radio-to-radio. I keep one HT in the truck with a lighter plug and a magnetic mount antenna for the SUV. That allows me to use it in the SUV as a backup to the big 50W mobile radio or handheld if I have to hoof it. I do weekly repeater tests with the radio each weekend and monthly me and the wife practice point-to-point simplex.

Amateur radio takes a bit of effort but it's really a life-long skill to earn.

Paul
(Amateur Extra Class)
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had completely clear comms on ~four watts 40 miles away.  During a hike up to Big Hump we were using 146.520 for our sporadic comms, when I heard my call sign.  Turns out a 10 year old girl on Mercer Island had just gotten her ham ticket and was wanting to make contacts; she overheard us and called out.  I was very surprised we were so clear given the wooded and hilly terrain, but I figure the valley pointed right at her location channeled the signals.

OP you can look at MURS radios, or GMRS.  Amateur radio license is easy to get for both of you.  I don't understand your belief that you need a Faraday cage if the 'grid' goes down; you would only be concerned if there was an EMP.  Either way, the trick with any line-of-sight radio is getting the antenna up high.  Easy enough at the home end, but difficult if you're making your way home.  

Ham gives you a lot more options with power and antennas.  I have a slim-jim antenna that can be strung up high in a tree.  I've used it on hikes where the rubber duck antenna was useless; the slim-jim made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't want to go the HAM route there are GMRS repeaters around.

Using a repeater, I can be 50 miles away From Oklahoma City and talk from my mobile GMRS and around here there are only a hand full of people that use it.

There are a bunch in Ca.

https://www.mygmrs.com/browse?name=&location=&state=CA&frequency=&output_tone=&input_tone=&type=&network=&ori=&travel=&sort=State&step=25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top