Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2016 3:48:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ebay seems rife with rothco knock offs. How the hell do I know if I'm getting a real wool blanket.
View Quote

If it's itchy, some odd shade of green, and does little to keep you warm... it's real.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it's itchy, some odd shade of green, and does little to keep you warm... it's real.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ebay seems rife with rothco knock offs. How the hell do I know if I'm getting a real wool blanket.

Nailed it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If I recall correctly we did a thread on this back in the fall and it was determined that a bunch of the "real"  ones are actually from a production lot that had an excessive a mound of flame retardant chemical and are bad for you.  I thought that some of the clones were determined to be acceptable if not superior to the USGI blankets if you bought the right material blend (high Wool content) and weight.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't have any use for a GI wool blanket 23 years ago. Have no use for one now..

Better options available.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didn't have any use for a GI wool blanket 23 years ago. Have no use for one now..

View Quote

Yup same for me.  The barracks I lived in '91 had them everywhere.  I hated them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I used a few for paint drop cloths. They were ok for that.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Trunk Blanket.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Do yourself a favor and try to find a Bulgarian surplus blanket or an Italian Officer's surplus blanket.  They are the cream of the crop in surplus wool IMO.  Although the Italian ones were sprayed down with ammonia and will require some washing to clean, it's worth the effort.

I spent a fair amount of time searching for and buying any 75% or greater wool blanket I could find reasonably priced to use as material to make clothing.

It's a pretty bare market, has been for a few years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I was one of the few guys who brought his wool blankets to Saudi during Desert Shield/Storm, and also one of the few guys who wasn't cold & miserable in a wet sleeping bag when everything we had got soaked on the road march north to the border. A wet wool blanket with a poncho inside it still insulated, a wet bag of feathers didn't.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<snip>

It's a pretty bare market, has been for a few years.
View Quote

This...  I have been keeping my eye open for a low cost decent wool blanket for use with bushcraft, and wilderness activities and I haven't found anything worth pulling the trigger for yet.  I have plenty of synthetic sleeping bags so its not a huge issue, but it would be cool to have a couple nice wool blankets you don't mine using in a primitive shelter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I want it for the jeep. Something thats warm and if you get it wet its not the end of the world.
View Quote
That would be polar fleece, and only because it's WAY faster to dry out.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.savelives.com/product/olive-green-deluxe-blankets-3876.cfm

These are made by northwestern woolen mills, a US gov't and NGO supplier.

ETA: I just noticed the 50% wool content . I bought these several years ago and they were advertised as 80% wool.  I guess they have reduce the wool amount in them.  

http://www.northwestwoolen.com/Camp.aspx
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]
These are 100% wool...

sportsmans guide

They have many others of varying blends too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I want it for the jeep. Something thats warm and if you get it wet its not the end of the world.
View Quote

Go to Harbor freight and get a couple of movers blankets.

Wash-n-dry 'em a couple of times to get the excess dye out and you're all set.

Multiple uses, cheap enough to toss if they get trashed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought several wool blankets in OD and had US on them from a flea market.  They looked shrunk up and in odd sizes.  Still keep them to augment a shelter in place thing, if needed.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought one of these from Lowes, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight; can't remember. That woodland camo cargo blanket is awesome.  On the tag, it was made in China by/for  American Moving Supply.  Wish I would have bought four of them.  It's kept on my couch in the man room and gets used frequently for nap time.  Used it a couple times for additional padding when shooting at Appleseed's.  Bought a camo cargo blanket from Harbor Freight last year and it is in comparison, a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Chinese knockoff that I bought 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Chinese knockoff that I bought 5 years ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I buy wool blankets at thrift stores when I see them. Usually they are $5, I have 20 or so now. I've even scored a couple of nice pendleton ones.

Bonus they aren't as ugly as surplus. Nice ones live on the couch or bed. Ugly ones get put into camping / emergency kit duty. Any I don't like get put out at our annual garage sale for $10 ea and I usually sell 3-4.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad I bought a bunch of the Italian ones from CTD, a long time ago.
Reviews came in on how good they were, so, of course the price quadrupled and then some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top