Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 1:55:50 AM EDT
*Disclaimer: I am currently running this post off my phone so I do apologize ahead of time for spelling and grammar errors*

Reason for thread: Today I went through the entire five pages of the survival gear section and I've noticed a lot "what's a cheap option for..(insert gear here)?" I'm hoping this would be a good place to start for any new and/or budget prepper needing gear but do not have the means to get the top of the line item.

Yes I said $30. If you list any items please have them $30 or less . (Yes I know there's a few exceptions) please cite either the store where item can be bought or website . I came up with this pricing based on a few factors. 1.) Many people who only buy 2-3 boxes of ammo at a time usually spend around $30 (of course can and will very depending on round and quality of said round) 2.) Amazon. Most budget people more than likely won't be able to afford prime and in order to get free shipping would be looking at $35 or more in spending 3.) A lot of food can be bought for prepping for $30.

Before I start the list let me say to any new person to prepping, something is better than nothing. So if all you can afford is $1 LED flashlight and a clearance Stanley 7 piece multitool for $10 it's a lot better than nothing. But if you are on a budget try to get the best for your money and I hope this list from my input and other posters helps a lot .

Here's a few things that I will say are go to go .

6 gallon water container by Ozark Trail (Wal-Mart) in my AO go for $12.97. They work as intended. They don't take a lot of space but similar sized (terms of gallons) are usually a lot more in priced.

$1 food grade buckets from Wal-Mart bakery .That's the most I've paid for one of their buckets (unsure of how much it holds) but that price includes the lids .They also stack very well.

Any knife from Morakniv . I have gotten mine from Amazon. (Will link when on a computer). They are razor sharp. The only issue with them they are primarily a for right handers (based on the sheath ). But for you left-handed the Mora 2000 might be the best option. $28 for it (one of the highest priced knives) but is the only one that can be used on either side just how the sheath is. The least expensive is around $12 depending on model.

Hope this helps and gets the conversation going .
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Rice,  beans, bleach,  bandage, cheap meds, water.  All cheap and all lacking in most preps. Most of us get stuck on guns and gadgets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Sawyer Mini water filter, price varies slightly depending on color but around $20 from Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rice,  beans, bleach,  bandage, cheap meds, water.  All cheap and all lacking in most preps. Most of us get stuck on guns and gadgets.
View Quote

Very true.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with everything above.

For bleach, I found bleach tablets at Wally Mart, in the laundry section.

Each tab goes into 1 cup water.  It's very easy to use and very compact/ light weight, and another plus is it can't leak out and make a big mess.

Bleach tabs

I also have found that in a power outage, having an electric stove makes cooking rather the challenge.  I found a used propane camp stove at a yard sale and keep several 1 lb propane cylinders on hand to cook.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sawyer Mini water filter, price varies slightly depending on color but around $20 from Amazon Prime.
View Quote

That Sawyer stuff looks awesome. I've seen their filter system used on The Outdoor Gear Review. 100,000 gallons through one filter? I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
50# of AP flour. About $27 at costco last I checked. That's 80,000 calories. Or 40 mandays.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Victorinox Swiss Army Super Tinker Pocket Knife, $29.99, Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why the tinker over some of the other options?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
standardize batteries.... I chose AA Eneloops for my hurricane lighting and electronics... and later AAA rechargeable for keychain and bicycle headlamp... get a good controller charger, that has at least 12vdc and 120vac capability... it should be able to handle the newer chemistries if you later decide to get into the Li-ion 18650s or so...there are a lot of suggestions for a charger by my Nitecore D works well in your price range... be sure to get the 12vdc cigarette plug cable
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That Sawyer stuff looks awesome. I've seen their filter system used on The Outdoor Gear Review. 100,000 gallons through one filter? I'm in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having never used sawyer, I picked up a similar product, LifeStraw on Amazon prime for 7.99 on sale. Usually around $20.

To be honest I think if you are just starting out into prepping getting a year of Amazon prime isn't a bad investment. Especially for all the little crap one needs. I started my BOB and pretty much exclusively used Amazon. Caught a maxpedition sling bag for like 60 bucks and I got a 5.11 sling back back combo for like 70. Both well over 150 if my memory serves me correct. That basically paid for the subscription fee in of itself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
And prime comes with a music and video service (pandora/Netflix type) just saying...
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Having never used sawyer, I picked up a similar product, LifeStraw on Amazon prime for 7.99 on sale. Usually around $20.

To be honest I think if you are just starting out into prepping getting a year of Amazon prime isn't a bad investment. Especially for all the little crap one needs. I started my BOB and pretty much exclusively used Amazon. Caught a maxpedition sling bag for like 60 bucks and I got a 5.11 sling back back combo for like 70. Both well over 150 if my memory serves me correct. That basically paid for the subscription fee in of itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big up front cost but break it down per month it's very affordable
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the regular "tinker" for EDC.  In truth any victorinox SAK is good to go.  Lifetime warranty to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
You can pickup a regular 5 gallon gas can at almost any store for under $30...  5 gallons of gas is less then $30...  Do that each month for a few and you will have more then what most of the sheep store.  Don't get caught up on the need for surplus metal cans, or the crazy expensive ones, because some gas is better then no gas.  I have been using regular plastic 5 gallon cans all my life and its never been much of an issue.  I rotate the gas out at least once every 18 months or so through use anyways though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Adventure Medical Kits SOL Heavy Duty Emergency Blanket: $12
Nalgene Wide Mouth 32oz. water bottle: $13
Mora Companion knife: $13
Light My Fire "Army" firesteel: $15
Scripto lighter (5 pack): $10    (I prefer them to Bics, since they are harder to inadvertently drain.)
UST Signal Mirror: $6
UCO Stormproof matches in waterproof case: $8
Sawyer Mini water filter: $18
550 Cord (100ft): $9
Esbit stove with 6 fuel cubes: $11
MSR Stowaway Alpine pot (775ml): $18
GSI Stainles Bottle Cup/Pot: $10
UCO Candle Lantern (3 candles): $26
Petzl Tikka headlamp: $30
Fenix E12 (1x AA) light: $27

I have not personally used the exact models of lights, but those companies have not let me down.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The savings on shipping costs alone over the holidays paid for my subscription.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Lodge Logic 10 1/4" Cast Iron Skillet, $15.92 from Wal-Mart.

A cast iron lid would be a separate purchase, about $25.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
The wife loves these candles they are great, we stock about 20 of them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Cold Steel Trail Hawk. $20.99 @ Wal-mart.com or Amazon.

1055 drop forged head, hickory handle.

30-45 mins worth of tuning and you've got a great little hawk

CHOP!

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for growing the list fellas.

I have a couple more items.

1.) a belt, specifically a TDU belt I think this one of the most over looked preps. Most assume a belt is just a belt. Once you starting carrying items on your belt (like knives guns etc) you will know the difference. around $18. I personally wear mine everyday.

2.) Something for someone wanting to start a garden these christmas tree totes are a good start. In fact my dad gave me the idea. I can either spend $25 on one of these or 3 times as much (at least YMMV) and take the time to build a garden bed. In my case I 1, live in a desert and 2, live in a rental property. its the best way for me to not to "destroy" the property. (note I know soil is not included in this but these totes from what I understand are only a seasonal item and aren't sold any other times of the year)

Keep the list going

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#21]
giving the thread a bump

found this video

curious if you agree or disagree based on the condition he gives

kind of interesting
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
giving the thread a bump

found this video

curious if you agree or disagree based on the condition he gives

kind of interesting
View Quote

Some good ideas on what is available at Wal Mart
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
mora knives
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Under $10 @ Walmart. I keep one in every car. Tool box. And pack I own. Flashlights are great and I have a ton, but I find I reach for the headlamps first, just more useful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I read something (posted here, IIRC), that made me rethink some things. I'm paraphrasing here:

"You can feed your family for a long time with the amount of food that you can buy for the same amount that many spend on optics, or even just optic mounts."

Taking a walk past the gun counter at a local big box outdoors store reinforced that. You are more likely to need rice and beans than a $700 red dot and mount.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Under $10 @ Walmart. I keep one in every car. Tool box. And pack I own. Flashlights are great and I have a ton, but I find I reach for the headlamps first, just more useful.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/039800/039800125149lg.jpg
View Quote

I think these are the same / similar to the ones that Steve Harris raves about on his own site(s) and on The Survival Podcast.

I also keep them in my range / 'go' bags, and in my tool bags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I just pickes up a ton of tealight USA made candles for dirt cheap. 50 for like $2 or something.

Good to have on hand.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Another friendly bump

A good piece of gear that should be part of everyone's preps is wool blankets. More wool the better

Best place in the lines of price ive seen is on sportsmanguide
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Ebay!!! I am not a fan of the company, but I've found some great deals there recently! I was just thinking about creating a post for budget conscious GHB/Backpacking/BOB gear. You just have to be patient and you can get some screaming deals like brand new snugpak $190 sleeping bag for $35, Moraknivs for $8, AMK FAK of varying sizes over 60% off, etc.

Someone mentioned Nalgenes. Go to their website and you can get clearance ones for $6-7 shipped!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ebay!!! I am not a fan of the company, but I've found some great deals there recently! I was just thinking about creating a post for budget conscious GHB/Backpacking/BOB gear. You just have to be patient and you can get some screaming deals like brand new snugpak $190 sleeping bag for $35, Moraknivs for $8, AMK FAK of varying sizes over 60% off, etc.

Someone mentioned Nalgenes. Go to their website and you can get clearance ones for $6-7 shipped!
View Quote

any other gear you can mention would be awesome
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
$15 worth of Calcium hypochlorite can make about 15k gallons (backyard swimming pool) drinkable in a pinch. I wouldn't advise it unless you are in a dire circumstance and would double up with my sawyer system.

It is stable longer than bleach but DO NOT let it get wet. It behaves worse than a gremlin if you do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hypochlorite
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
This is just over $30.......but I like it

AA and AAA rapid battery charger $31.49

I have used one for years to keep all my AA batteries charged for my camera flashes. I use four or five flashes off camera as strobes for work
and each one takes four AAs. I've had great luck with mine, comes with cords for both car and home. Some don't like it, but I've been very happy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#34]
The original EDC folding locking blade knife

K55K Mercator EDC knife $29.94

Dating from the mid 1800s this is a truly great knife. Available both with a stainless or a carbon steel blade.
This one is stainless. EXTREMELY thin makes it very easy to carry. Simple, rugged and very practical.
These were very popular with German troops during both world wars. Became popular here in the US in the '50s.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Each tab goes into 1 cup water.  It's very easy to use and very compact/ light weight, and another plus is it can't leak out and make a big mess.

Bleach tabs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bleach tabs

Who knew?  This is awesome!  Smaller, long term, and not seasonal. Put on shopping list.

Quoted:
You can pickup a regular 5 gallon gas can at almost any store for under $30...  5 gallons of gas is less then $30...  Do that each month for a few and you will have more then what most of the sheep store.  Don't get caught up on the need for surplus metal cans, or the crazy expensive ones, because some gas is better then no gas.  I have been using regular plastic 5 gallon cans all my life and its never been much of an issue.  I rotate the gas out at least once every 18 months or so through use anyways though.

A quick, compact, safe method of storing gas.  For <$30 bucks, you get a 5 gal gas container and the gas.  

Gasoline Loader

Quoted:
Cold Steel Trail Hawk. $20.99 @ Wal-mart.com or Amazon.

1055 drop forged head, hickory handle.

30-45 mins worth of tuning and you've got a great little hawk

CHOP!

Did not know Wal-mart carried these.  Went on the list.

Propane magazines and a loader.

Propane Magazine, or is it a clip?
2 for ~$6 at Walmart or most places.

Loader

Diuturnity on a dime!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Sawyer water bottle, 25 bucks at wally world, 1,000,000 gallons of filtration.

Poollife turboshock, about 30 bucks for 5-6 packs, enough to last you and a few others for life. As others have said, keep it dry! We use those resealable glass jars.

Spend an extra 10 bucks and get a good thick knife, Ontario spec's can be had for about 40 bucks.

Spam or other similar product, i've found the generic stuff for a buck a can, so a case is less than 30 bucks. It adds badly needed protein to your preps, plenty of fat too which our workout/weight conscious lifestyle would normally not want, but keep in mind this is post-SHTF, calorie-dense foods will be a good thing. I opened a 10 year old can of the stuff not long ago, it was fine, fried it up and made a very tasty sammich.

LED camping lantern, these can be had cheap so you can get a couple for under 30 bucks, trust me you will get tired of carrying a flashlight around the house and candles present their own problems.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for costing me $$ GW.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry I can't add anything as I'm still picking my way through the thread, but I just saw it in my Subscriptions and didn't want it to die! So, bump!! Awesome thread, thanks to everyone that's contributed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
1. For long term protective food storage, 1gal mylar bags and oxygen absorbers from Amazon.
Then you can pack that 50# sack of flour into smaller, more usable packs.

The wife got us 25# sacks of rice and beans from her work, and I repacked those down.

Simply sealed with a r/c model plane covering iron at max heat.  A regular iron should work.

2. small plastic fresnel lens cc sized but thinner, you can keep in your wallet, use to start fires if the sun is out.

3. small orange magnesium fire starter stick, about $6-7 each. fire when its raining or damp.

4. Paracord was mentioned, but I am finding lots of uses for 1/8in 'elastic' paracord from paracord planet.  I made small loops as backpack strap keepers.
I have to figure out some larger configurations for other stuff on my pack.

5. Pack.  I went a but over at like $45 for a mil-tec large molle pack.  So far its been very useful, has lots of org and pockets and molle. I've seen them on sale on amazon for around $39.

6. I am going rechargable batts for flashlights and radios.  A solar panel can be used to charge batts.  Someone could write a whole essay on that topic I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#44]
ESEE Zancudo Folding Knife

Solid little frame lock for under $30! I don't know why it has a 1 star rating. If you read the reviews, most folks gave it 4 or 5 stars. I have two with red handles (1 for me and 1 for the wife) and I am about to buy another in a different color. I literally chopped down a small tree with it yesterday...Sure, the tree was only 1 inch in diameter, but it was still a tree.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Morakniv knives
rayovac indestructible lights
Tarps - all sizes
Rolls of 4 or 6mil plastic
Roll of 16ga aluminum electric fence wire (can't tell you how much I use that stuff)
Duct tape
Toilet Paper
Rice
Beans
Kosher Salt (great for preserving all kinds of food)
Vinegar (regular and apple)
Bleach (double check that it's not scented)
$30 every paycheck will eventually build an ammo fort
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Fujitsu 2100 cycle 'Eneloop' AAs

Here's a better price at $23.35 shipped.  Check out his other auctions/items.

FDK owns the patents and the factory that makes Eneloop batteries for Panasonic.  'Eneloop' is just a brand name, now.  FDK is owned by Fujitsu.

They also make a black 2450mAh AA that is the same as the Eneloop Pros hi-caps.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Costco had/has 3 gallon bottles of bleach together for about $15.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#48]
thanks for the replys been awhile since ive been on

while it may not be a true prep but Id have to say getting an issue of the Backwoodsman. $5.50 an issue. While its not focused on gear it focused how to sustain yourself. I prefer having the physical media over digital media. It does have useful tips and ideas.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
thanks for the replys been awhile since ive been on

while it may not be a true prep but Id have to say getting an issue of the Backwoodsman. $5.50 an issue. While its not focused on gear it focused how to sustain yourself. I prefer having the physical media over digital media. It does have useful tips and ideas.
View Quote

It's a fantastic magazine with a lot of useful information....worth it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top