Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:12 AM EDT
Idea for a B.O.B. item, not sure if someone has considered this before. It's a pen shaped item that detects voltage without having to tap into a wire.

Electricity can be a life savor or a danger. This will let you determine if a wire is hot or not without having to get too close or place yourself in danger. Is that power line across the road safe to move aside? This will tell you. Need to tap into a wire to charge your electronics? This is the tool to find the voltage. It works even when there is not a complete circuit, weighs 1.5 ounces, and is as big as a large Sharpie marker.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
A bad idea to be using that to check downed wires from a pole. You can get zapped by high voltage well before you are close enough to check with a pen tester. We use this in my fire department for downed wires:

Hot Stick

Even using that, I would not recommend moving any downed wires if it can be avoided.

I keep a pen tester in my turnout gear for household electric problems and circuit identification, really only good up to around 220 volts, and you need to verify operation on a known circuit before use.

ETA: Here is a pretty good explanation of "step and touch potential" and how electricity spreads out in the ground

Step and Touch Potential
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is that power line across the road safe to move aside? This will tell you.
View Quote

no.   just no.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
It is more of a voltage signaling device than a true tester.  It can give false readings due to inductive pick up.  A last resort for sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is more of a voltage signaling device than a true tester.  It can give false readings due to inductive pick up.  A last resort for sure.
View Quote

Right, remember I'm saying its a good tool for bugging out of a shtf situation. Sounds like an entire day of last resorts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A bad idea to be using that to check downed wires from a pole. You can get zapped by high voltage well before you are close enough to check with a pen tester. We use this in my fire department for downed wires:

Hot Stick

Even using that, I would not recommend moving any downed wires if it can be avoided.

I keep a pen tester in my turnout gear for household electric problems and circuit identification, really only good up to around 220 volts, and you need to verify operation on a known circuit before use.

ETA: Here is a pretty good explanation of "step and touch potential" and how electricity spreads out in the ground

Step and Touch Potential
View Quote

Thanks. We had someone get shocked at work last month due to a faulty motor.  It could have been worse. I am ordering hot stick and modifying our planning documents.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
During a hurricane, a wire was down across the road from my house.
The local police had flares out and blocked the street with a running patrol car with lights flashing.

I went up to the officer and explained to him that the wire was just for cable tv.
We ripped it off the house and rolled it up.
He packed up and went back to work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Bear in mind that those respond only to AC voltage; not DC. The odds of hitting a DC line hot enough to kill you are low; but something to remember.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The local police had flares out and blocked the street with a running patrol car with lights flashing.

I went up to the officer and explained to him that the wire was just for cable tv.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

stupid.

i guess you have never heard of line cross -- but it will kill you.

induction or direct contact, doesn't matter much.

either way, you are dead.

especially after a hurricane, high voltage power lines from higher up on the utility poles can break and drape over other metallic wiring used for telephone and cable tv.  there is very little insulation integrity on a long term high voltage power line, as the combination of UV and sunlight and ozone and temperature variations and time turn even the best insulating materials into a crumbly substitute.  hence, there can be direct contact between the high voltage power lines and other utility wiring.  even if there is not direct contact, current flowing from the high voltage power line to ground can induce enough voltage in other metallic wiring to injure or kill a person.  

just because a wire was "low voltage" BEFORE the hurricane hit does not mean that it is low voltage AFTER the hurricane hit.

ar-jedi

http://www.lorusso.com/files/whys_1089.pdf

Lightning or an earthquake could knock down a tele-
phone pole. Other natural disasters like hurricanes and
tornados can also wreak havoc on telephone poles.
The upper wires are carrying high voltage, while the
lower wires are for telephone service. When an
exposed power line comes into contact with an
exposed telephone line, high energy is transferred.
This is known as an AC power fault in GR-1089-CORE,
or more commonly known as a power cross.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

no.   just no.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that power line across the road safe to move aside? This will tell you.

no.   just no.

ar-jedi

This.  Divert around downed power lines at all costs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never really trusted them and have a Fluke T5-1000 instead.

The one in your link has a good feature though. .

Many Tic(k) tracers don't have that feature and you have to test them with a known live circuit before poking around anything else with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I never really trusted them and have a Fluke T5-1000 instead.

The one in your link has a good feature though.
High-intensity, bright green LED shows when the tester is operational and helps illuminate the workspace

Many Tic(k) tracers don't have that feature and you have to test them with a known live circuit before poking around anything else with them.

Most of them flash and/or chirp to indicate they are functioning, but you are still supposed to check them (and this one I'm sure) against a live circuit. Of course I'm guessing that rubbing it on your sleeve really fast isn't an acceptable function check either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't remember if it was 4160 or less, But I do know that those prox testers light up great as soon as you open the gear.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I ran into this a couple of months ago.  Even though we knew that the line was a phone we waited until the power company came by to ID the wire.  IJTWIS.

Quoted:

stupid.

especially after a hurricane, high voltage power lines from higher up on the utility poles can break and drape over other metallic wiring used for telephone and cable tv.  there is very little insulation integrity on a long term high voltage power line, as the combination of UV and sunlight and ozone and temperature variations and time turn even the best insulating materials into a crumbly substitute.  hence, there can be direct contact between the high voltage power lines and other utility wiring.  even if there is not direct contact, current flowing from the high voltage power line to ground can induce enough voltage in other metallic wiring to injure or kill a person.  

just because a wire was "low voltage" BEFORE the hurricane hit does not mean that it is low voltage AFTER the hurricane hit.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stupid.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I ran into this a couple of months ago.  Even though we knew that the line was a phone we waited until the power company came by to ID the wire.  IJTWIS.

Quoted:

stupid.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stupid.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top