Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 7:00:01 PM EDT
I usually wear a baseball cap. I started wearing one regularly when I went to a tech school for my airframe and powerplant certificate, since the main "classroom was a large hangar full of pointy, head-level things. I soon found that my hat can double as a parts tray when working on something that has lots of small hardware, and is less likely to get kicked over ans spilled than rigid containers (the flat tire scene in A Christmas Story comes to mind). Recently, I decided that my current hat was too gross to wear in public. I washed it several times, but the stink never went away. New hat time.

Wandering through a local Wally world, I found one of these hats: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cap-Light-4-LED-Camo-Cap-Mossy-Oak-Infinity/44113908. It is basically the same thing I normally wear, but with lights. I haven't really put this hat through it's paces yet, but within an hour of buying it, I was using it for projects around the house. It isn't super bright, but it is sufficient for working in an unlit room. It has four LED lights, powered by four 3v button batteries in two separate circuits. The battery pack sits in the headband, but it is very low-profile and really isn't noticeable when being worn.

I often don't carry a flashlight with me. There is always one in my car and truck, and a bunch around the house, but I rarely have one in my pocket. I either end up sitting on it in a back pocket, or getting it tangled up with everything else in my front pocket (I pocket carry, so one pocket is always off-limits to other stuff). I am liking this LED hat more and more, since not only do I always have a light with me now, it leaves both hands free to do whatever I need to do.

I am thinking about sewing my Nite Ize DoohicKey tool into the hat band opposite of the battery pack. http://www.niteize.com/product/DoohicKey-Multi-Tool.asp

Any thoughts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top