Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 8:56:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for some powdered milk pouches/packs for my BOB.
any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the LDS site.
I think they have them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked some packets up from Wally World. The "milk" tastes like ass. Or what I assume ass tastes like.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.augasonfarms.com/image/pdf/26890_Instant%20Nonfat%20Milk.pdf

please note short shelf life, though

My guess is for best results you probably need to consider packaging your own.  Morning moos milk substitute tastes better than any powdered milk I have tried.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.augasonfarms.com/image/pdf/26890_Instant%20Nonfat%20Milk.pdf

please note short shelf life, though

My guess is for best results you probably need to consider packaging your own.  Morning moos milk substitute tastes better than any powdered milk I have tried.
View Quote

NIDO milk by Nestle is by far the best I have had. You can find it as Mexican supermarkets and some Walmarts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I like Bob's Red Mill, Milk Powder, Non Fat Dry, 22 oz (623 g)  taste ok if you use Cold water.  just make sure to mix well I hate goobers
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Nestle Nido Instant Milk Powder. You find it in the Mexican section.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
While not so much for backpacking run a search on all these powdered alternatives.

If you mix some up the night before you want it and let it sit in the fridge overnight that seems to help, don't have a clue why.  I use a canning jar with a good lid setup so it is not like it evaporates anywhere.

Many recomend adding in a bit of vanilla I think.

Kind of depends on your use.

With real milk I don't mind sitting down and drinking a glass.

With powdered options I use em straight for cooking and no biggy.  If using it for a bowl of cereal I want to mess with it the night before I want it.

I tend to buy whatever wally world has and messing with it works for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Perhps not what you're looking for OP, but I picked up a quart of Gossner UHT shelf stable milk at the dollar tree today.1 qt was 1.00. . Gossner's a dairy located in Utah. It claims at 9 month shelf life, but I have seen claims online by some that  it has lasted a couple of  years. I put it in the fridge and let it get cold. It's better than any powdered milk I have tried and tastes like traditional pasteurized milk.  I was impressed.  If I can get my wife to approve,  I will start storing a rotating a few cases.

Just a head's up for those who may want to try it.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check the LDS site.
I think they have them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There was a great powdered milk test that I found on a Utah prepper website, cant bring it up now. But Morning Moos won by quite a long shot in taste. Although, technically its a milk substitute. I have personally had many gallons of it and while normal powdered milk taste horrible, the morning moos is actually quite good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There was a great powdered milk test that I found on a Utah prepper website, cant bring it up now. But Morning Moos won by quite a long shot in taste. Although, technically its a milk substitute. I have personally had many gallons of it and while normal powdered milk taste horrible, the morning moos is actually quite good.
View Quote

This one?

http://www.utahpreppers.com/2010/03/great-powdered-milk-taste-test-and-review/

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This one?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This one?

That's the one. The other day I wasn't able to bring up that page for some reason.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Perhps not what you're looking for OP, but I picked up a quart of Gossner UHT shelf stable milk at the dollar tree today.1 qt was 1.00. . Gossner's a dairy located in Utah. It claims at 9 month shelf life, but I have seen claims online by some that  it has lasted a couple of  years. I put it in the fridge and let it get cold. It's better than any powdered milk I have tried and tastes like traditional pasteurized milk.  I was impressed.  If I can get my wife to approve,  I will start storing a rotating a few cases.

Just a head's up for those who may want to try it.  

View Quote

If memory serves, that's the brand we used to get served to us in the military.
Irradiated or whatever
I recall the chocolate was by far better than the white milk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top