Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2015 12:29:18 PM EDT
I am looking to put together two kits.
A Boo Boo kit and a Trauma Kit.
Can someone point me to, or provide a list of the essential items needed for both kits?
Does anyone make a good off the shelf kit to start with?  
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good list of supplies and seems to be squared away for a trauma kit...(need something to put it in, if you don't already have it)

Trauma Kit
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This company has a good selection of basic first aid kits:

Adventure Medical Kits

I carry one of them in my kayak, it's waterproof and has just about everything you need for a minor injury. I just threw in a space blanket and called it good.

This is good site for trauma kits and supplies:

Rescue Essentials

You don't have to buy their pre-made kits but it gives a good idea of the possibilities. I've built my own kits (apart from the ones I was issued) by shopping for the individual components and then finding a empty pouch to fill up. A lot of the pre-made kits are pretty pricey and the often have stuff you don't personally want or they are missing things you do want.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Another +1 for Rescue Essentials, they have some really handy stuff.  For the boo boo kit, you can go with their first aid kit refill for a great starting point, or their packs of ointments, meds, and would cleansing packets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted this couple years ago...Level 2 in Blackhawk Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HajoVsN4XdU
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/olaes-4-modular-bandage/

grab a couple of those and learn how to use them. Awesome bandage.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has shears, "CAT" tourniquet, quick clot, Israeli bandage, tape, CPR shield, gauze, and ACE bandage.

ETA: this is what I have on my APC in a pouch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have training? If not stick to basics (if it's a hole,  cover it)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have training? If not stick to basics (if it's a hole,  cover it)
View Quote

Get training on the stuff you buy and practice.

Red cross and Local CERT programs are options for Free training.

I also subscribe to the school of though that you should carry things that may be used to save your life by other people. "If I just had a decompression needle I could save this guy's life... Oh look he has one!"
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Chances are if your able to get help from others then the rescue truck isnt far away. I bring plenty of needles and tons of other crap when i come in my big red truck.  I myself would have a few other items in myown kit before i even get to a needle. All depends on how much your gonna carry and what training your gonna get. If you have none.. get a Israeli bandage or 2 and call it done and put the rest of your money to some training. Then upgrade your kit as you upgrade your skill set. Just my 2 cent... everyone wants to take fighting weapons courses by the truckload but very few people will even attend a free cpr class at the ymca, hospital or even shadow a boy scout first aid class. Night class first responder or emt can cost as much as 3 days with costa or haley and you can get certified in your state and open doors for volunteer or paid work. Just think about it folks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
trauma style first aid kits have been well covered here.  For a boo boo kit, I would include:

various bandaids
gauze, lots of gauze
tape
antibiotic ointment
alcohol wipes
blister treatment, moleskin, etc
burn jel, it can come in small individual foil packs
finger splints
durabond pen for glueing semi serious lacerations
ibuprofen
small bottle of eye flush solution
lip balm or chapstick
fisherman's friend throat lozenges

I'm sure there is a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]
For a Trauma Kit I would recommend a "CAT" tourniquet, QuickClot, Israeli bandage and Compression bandage. I listed the CAT tourniquet because it is easier to use with one hand, but a lot of people prefer the SOF-T. Like others have said, the key is getting some training on how and when to use a Tourniquet or QuikClot. I would then just purchase one of the Adventure Medical Kits or put together a small kit and put it in a heavy duty ziplock bag.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I would also include chest seals in your trauma kit. You can improvise other things if needed, but being able to peel and stick over a sucking chest wound quickly is priceless. I prefer the Hyfin Chest Seal from North American Rescue. They can be purchased in a 2-pack which is ideal for through-and-through gunshot wounds. Also, +1 on CAT tourniquets. They're quick to apply and easy to use.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#13]
i pop a few of these into the kits I have, cheap as F and collectively help the kit, if its good enough for the mil then good enough for me http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151049027252
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top