Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:20:51 PM EDT
Old and busted; the new hotness!

I put 12 years of trails on the pair on the left.  Went to replace them today and was happy to see I could replace them with the same.  Asolo Fugitive GTX Hikers.  Clearly a few design tweaks over the past decade but pretty much the same.  $255 out the door.  Literally, both times, the most expensive shoes I've ever bought.  But if they hold up like the last pair it's only $20 a year, right
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you get the Asolo soles to last 12 years? Mine were worn beyond trail use after 3 1/2 - 4 years.

Also, have you looked at sierratradingpost.com for your Asolos?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you get the Asolo soles to last 12 years? Mine were worn beyond trail use after 3 1/2 - 4 years.

Also, have you looked at sierratradingpost.com for your Asolos?
View Quote

I don't know.  You're looking at them.  Just estimating I think I put about 700 miles of trails on them plus some daily wear in the winter, snow-shoveling, yard-work etc. in that time.  Should still be fine for yard work though.  They aren't "dead" yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the Echos. I wonder if there's a difference in the sole? My new ones have a Vibram sole in the hopes they last longer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had the Echos. I wonder if there's a difference in the sole? My new ones have a Vibram sole in the hopes they last longer.
View Quote

The salesman tried to sell me on those saying they were "stiffer"  also more expensive.  I passed, obviously.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer Keen.  Some are US made too boot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Great Line:
Old and busted; the new hotness!

Wifey asked me why I have so many empty boot and sandal boxes in the man cave?

Empty...not so much...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're new stuff is drastically different than their original boots.  New, more traditional toe design as compared to the Keen wide toe box and their construction seems to be going downhill.  I was a long time Keen fan; not any more.  

My last pair of boots were Vasque; tried Asolos but they were too narrow.

OP; those look like they have a wider than normal Asolo toe box?  Just the pic?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I'd look forward to breaking those suckers in. (75 miles?)

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They're new stuff is drastically different than their original boots.  New, more traditional toe design as compared to the Keen wide toe box and their construction seems to be going downhill.  I was a long time Keen fan; not any more.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new ones are wides.  Also a size bigger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine are 2 years old and have been leaking for almost a year.  Ok for dry terrain but Friday my feet were swimming in water with out overtoping in a creek.

The most comfortable boot I have ever worn with the quickest breakin.  I may have had bad luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The old ones look fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine are 2 years old and have been leaking for almost a year.  Ok for dry terrain but Friday my feet were swimming in water with out overtoping in a creek.

The most comfortable boot I have ever worn with the quickest breakin.  I may have had bad luck.
View Quote

I guess the break in is easier than it looks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are you getting that they take 75 miles to break in? Being mid-weight hikers, I bet they are take almost no break in right out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have those same boots.

Love em.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine were pretty comfy after 5-10 miles.  really no break in compaired to full grain.

Quoted:

Where are you getting that they take 75 miles to break in? Being mid-weight hikers, I bet they are take almost no break in right out of the box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top