Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2015 2:31:57 PM EDT
Putting together Get Home Bags / emergency kits for a pair of trucker friends and it occurs to me that the ability to burn a selection of fuels would be good. I'm looking at alcohol stoves like Esbit, Sterno, and Coughlan folding stove, but id like them to be able to burn wood to supplement the fuel tabs. The Sterno and Coghlans stoves appear to have that capability for a low price, but at the very least the Coghlans stove gives me some concern about quality.

Given the money I'm already sinking into these bags, Emberlit or Solo stoves are a bit outside my price range. Any suggestions for a stove I've not looked at? Any recommendations between the Esbit, Stereo, and Coughlan?

Thanks much?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You can make a wood stove that burns tinder out of a used coffee can. Youtube or google hobo stove. It won't fold, but you can nest an alcohol stove, fuel (alcohol, gel, or solid fuel) and other items inside.

Punch holes through the can at the correct flame height,weave a coat hanger or bbq skewer through the holes and you can use an alcohol stove, or gel and solid fuel, or wood.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Sterno version - I agree about the Coghlan's appearing questionable, but I have nothing to back that that up.  I've also heard the M71 is supposed to be pretty versatile, and it's definitely cheap.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is an inexpensive trick for an esbit stove for burning wood.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll look at the possibility of putting together that Esbit modification.

The coffee can stove would be nice, but that's an awful lot of space in a backpack. Same with the stove that fits on the Sterno can.  I want to fold this thing down and tuck it in a backpack pocket.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll look at the possibility of putting together that Esbit modification.

The coffee can stove would be nice, but that's an awful lot of space in a backpack. Same with the stove that fits on the Sterno can.  I want to fold this thing down and tuck it in a backpack pocket.
View Quote

nest that kind of stuff in your cook pot or with a water bottle.  Nothing wrong w/ flat either, but pockets can be pretty damn precious when it comes to keeping things organized.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The true Esbit stoves are better then the Chinese and other ripoff copies.  I did a mod that I use with all of mine that is similar to the wood burner mod above.  I made sides that slide into the open sides.  Only mine line up even with the top of the stove and store inside it when folded.  For wood burning I just use one and feed fuel in through the open side.  I also keep an alcohol stove inside them.  I made the burner from vela mint tins, which at the time were smaller then altoid tins which were too big for the Esbit.  My panels are made out of heavy copper foil.  I made these about 15 years ago and they still work fine.  I have no clue if the vela mint tins are still available but the sides are easy to make for the Esbit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Putting together Get Home Bags / emergency kits for a pair of trucker friends and it occurs to me that the ability to burn a selection of fuels would be good. I'm looking at alcohol stoves like Esbit, Sterno, and Coughlan folding stove, but id like them to be able to burn wood to supplement the fuel tabs. The Sterno and Coghlans stoves appear to have that capability for a low price, but at the very least the Coghlans stove gives me some concern about quality.

Given the money I'm already sinking into these bags, Emberlit or Solo stoves are a bit outside my price range. Any suggestions for a stove I've not looked at? Any recommendations between the Esbit, Stereo, and Coughlan?

Thanks much?
View Quote
Are the trucker friends like minded and going to actually use this stuff?

Any convenience store or truck stop will sell all the parts needed for a Super Cat alcohol stove.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any convenience store or truck stop will sell all the parts needed for a Super Cat alcohol stove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks much?

They'll use the stuff in emergencies. They're part of the gun community and nearly as preparedness minded as I am. We typically give each other preppers gifts for Christmas.

Yeah, truckstops and gas stations should have the stuff for alcohol stoves, but if I can get more functionality, that's what I want.

The use case for these kits is stranded/breakdown and a long wait for assistance, with possibly a day or two hike back to civilization.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This guy does what I do.

Sterno stove with wood.
View Quote

And it also works great with a Trangia alcohol burner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#11]
For a "get home" bag why mess with a wood burner at all?

These little Swiss gel stoves is really all you need. Very small and do a reasonable job. A fire steel starts them right up but each sealed unit comes with matches. You can also use it as a HEET stove using Heet in the yellow bottle.

If you must be able to use wood the Swiss come through again with the Volcano stove.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
ive used this works quite well folding wood stove
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ive used this works quite well folding wood stove
View Quote

That looks perfect. I've added it to my Amazon cart. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Emberlit is another option. A bit more than the last stove.

RIF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top