Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:31:28 AM EDT
A Germanic grudge match lol!  Actually these two axes are not identical, the Stihl is designed as a felling axe and the Husqvarna is designed as an all around axe.  The Stihl is machine forged and the Husqvarna is hand forged (and really quite a bargain for a hand forged Swedish axe for $60-70).  I chopped down my first tree today using the Husqvarna and then I chopped the same diameter stump using the Stihl to try to do a comparison of their chopping abilities.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Good video ! I thought the Stihl would win, and it did. You should of chopped a tree for each one, on separate days. The weight of the tree bearing down and you would of had more energy. Still a good video.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Right the Husqvarna had a bit of an advantage because I was fresher, though I got slowed down a bit with the husq worrying about  the sky falling on me lol.  I think the Stihl felling advantage will increase as I continue to work the edge, it's pretty decent but still not as sharp as the husq and at this point I think I have more time in on honing the Stihl.  But I'm a novice sharpener too, I probably should have used the rough side of my Lansky puck sharpener on the Stihl more than on the husq because of the seeming difference in steel hardness.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Your compairing aples to oranges! Thee Stihl is almost 3/4 lb heaver and a smaller felling axe.
The Husqvarna is a small forest axe.
The Husqvarna is probably the best value for a hand forged
Swedish axes there is. I own the Husqvarna and a Gransfur Brux forest axes and both being similar
but different in their own way.
I have sharpened the Husqvarna to a convex edge to where it is to sharp
for a axe. I a big fan of the Husqvqrna and suggest to anyone looking for a fine camp axe to buy one and
withsome TLC you will have a fine axe for a lifetime!
They make fine gifts as well, I have sharpened them up and linseed the handles and given them as gifts and the recipient's are setback! There are also
some very nice aftermarket sheaths available as well. M2C.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I compared them, did not hide their respective weights and purposes, and I think the Husqvarna is the better camping/backpacking/bush axe.  Let's not have a coronary here lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never seen that Stihl axe in person but it sure looked like it bounced off the surface pretty badly. The bit might need thinned a bit to work the way it should as a felling axe. It should penetrate deep and wedge out the chip as well. You might want to check out the video I posted in survival discussions. It goes over setting the edge and sharpening. The axes I did using that information are sick.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen that Stihl axe in person but it sure looked like it bounced off the surface pretty badly. The bit might need thinned a bit to work the way it should as a felling axe. It should penetrate deep and wedge out the chip as well. You might want to check out the video I posted in survival discussions. It goes over setting the edge and sharpening. The axes I did using that information are sick.
View Quote

I'm gonna keep working on the edge and my sharpening technique.  However, the Husqvarna was shaving sharp and didn't bite in much better.  I theorize that axe bite in standing deadwood like in my video is probably different than in greenwood (greenwood is probably softer and axe sinks in better).
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm gonna keep working on the edge and my sharpening technique.  However, the Husqvarna was shaving sharp and didn't bite in much better.  I theorize that axe bite in standing deadwood like in my video is probably different than in greenwood (greenwood is probably softer and axe sinks in better).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardness and dryness of the wood definitely do make a difference. The convex edge should be thin enough to penetrate deep but also have enough bounce to not stick and pop the chip out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]

OP: great video.  i know i was quite critical of your last review (link) but this one is hugely improved in all aspects and you touched on all the points you needed to. well done and keep it up!

ar-jedi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top