User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 11:53:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I am interested as well...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
also -tag...  I have a collapsible fishing pole, but its just one I picked up on sale at wally world
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I see some folks using these and they have good things to say about them. Pack-it

Of course they're not flyfishermen so their word is probably garbage....
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Shakespeare telescopic. $15. Works fine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an eagle claw pack it rod. Put an old zebco 20/20 pro staff reel on it. The few times I've used it was ok. Bought it for ease of carrying to some of the hard to get at ponds at an old strip mine. I've since went to a 2 piece pole tucked inside  a plastic tube.

For general fishing I wasn't happy with the action. For a survival pole the eagle claw will do the job.

This is the crap to go through to get there.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
An ultralight one-piece spinning rod with multi-filament line is what I usually fish with. Nothing you can throw in a pack will come close to it.

Some #10 hooks pre-tied to muli-filament line and taped to little pieces of stiff paper, and a small flag-type gill net is my idea of a survival fishing kit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not try out the Ronco Pocket Fisherman?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Daughter gave me an interesting one for Christmas, it is a plastic tube about the size of a cigar tube, it included some lures, hooks couple hundred feet of monofilament, and some sinkers. The tube is intended to be used as a reel and you cast with your strong had and wind the mono up with the off hand. Very basic, compact. Looking forward to trying it out. This is not the particular one but it is very close.......

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The kids got me some YoYo reels for Christmas last year.

I'm eagerly waiting for his spring to try them.

I was watching some youtube videos on how to use then as snares also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Emmrod combat rod with a spinner reel.  I have hiked a few trails and its been fine. You can break it down into 2 pieces also.  There are several new designs out now that may be better and smaller.   Mine is about 5 years old and I've used it at the lake around here also. Well built.

Emmrod
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Survival fishing:  I would rather have the right terminal tackle and a knife.  If you know Flippin' &  Pitchin' techniques and how to use a slip bobber the knife is to cut the poles you need.  If you know the various ways to use a hand line it is very easy to pack a rig for that technique as well or make one in the field, including from an aluminum can or water bottle.

If you are talking fishing for fun or while camping, I would start by looking at pack rods, not collapsible ones.  I own some great collapsible rods but the designer died in a plane crash in 77 and they "don't make them like that anymore."  Just as an FYI they were made by Lew's, I still have two.

Since you probably don't want to spend a ton of money look at Eagle Claw, Daiwa, Shakespeare and get a spinning rod.  You said combo so Daiwa is a good start but for the hell of it I searched Browning pack rods while on basspro link above and I noticed they have a new combo called the survivalist.  Quick glance one good thing is the pole was 6' or 6.5' and six pieces.  I didn't look closely at it so I can't guess where the rod blank or reel likely came from but a lot of these brands buy from the same sources.  The problem with cheaper rods is the shorter ones really are whippy.  A longer rod at least gives you more leverage to play the fish.  The problem is a longer rod is not as great in and around brush while bank fishing or wade fishing along shorelines.

If you just want the rod in your pack as insurance in case you need to fish, there are better ways to accomplish that and you can try the techniques anywhere you can find water.  Yesterday I just set aside about a dozen rod & reels to donate and half of them are pack rods.  Today's cheap fiberglass pack rods are not as good as the ones made 40 years ago but if you step up a bit and spend a few more dollars the next generation made from materials like IM6 are much better.  If you are fishing for fun, fishing with crap gear is no fun.  If you want cheap insurance we can educate you in here for free and you won't need a rod.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Pack rods are OK. Some good. Eagle claw iirc makes an OK spin /fly combo as does diawia ..
Survival fishing ain't trophy fishing.... even a simple hand line and practice can net you food.
My kit I used to carry to fish with was -
Old spin reel spool. With 14 lb fireline.(its dial is like 4-6 lb)
assorted tackle .
With a 1/4 oz bullet weight..2/0 worm hook (true turn iirc) and a 4/6 inch culprit worm id catch bass on trips.
Swap out to a small jig IR run a small 1 inch gone type bobber (style with a tooth pick yo hold it on your line) and wham your catching pan fish...which down here are easy to catch.
You can use your hiking stick /pole as a rod.

Or pack in a full kit LOL ..the above fits in a ziplock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You can find inexpensive Japanese style Tenkara fly rods online. Depending on what kind of fishing you want to do, there's something nice about the simplicity of loosing that reel. http://www.tenkarabum.com/shimotsuke-kosasa.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kids got me some YoYo reels for Christmas last year.

I'm eagerly waiting for his spring to try them.

I was watching some youtube videos on how to use then as snares also.
View Quote

I HIGHLY recommend these. They are compact, lightweight and do all the work allowing you to accomplish other necessities. Lay out a handful around the perimeter of a body of water, start a fire, and you'll have some grub for yourself and your companions. I have several dozen stocked.

ETA: They are just too cheap for you not to try.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I also own an Emmrod...it's very compact and does a great job.  Now, you aren't going to cast as far as with a full sized rod, but it works well.  

Those collapsible rods are crap.

Quoted:
I have the Emmrod combat rod with a spinner reel.  I have hiked a few trails and its been fine. You can break it down into 2 pieces also.  There are several new designs out now that may be better and smaller.   Mine is about 5 years old and I've used it at the lake around here also. Well built.

Emmrod
View Quote

YO YO reels are great since they are inexpensive and portable, BUT not legal in all states, so check your local laws.  I'm sure someone will say they won't care of SHTF, just worth mentioning that YO YO reels are not legal to use when it's not SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's getting stuck in a pack, go with a Cuban yo-yo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]
On Ultimate Survival Alaska I've seen Dallas Seavy use fishing like wrapped around his Nalgene bottle to land fish.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I had tried using yoyos off and on throughout high school.  Never had much luck with them.  I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience with speedhooks.  I actually have a dozen of them that I bought at a cheap promotional price years ago (about a 1/3 what they are now).  Never carried them because they're illegal here and don't need the hassle.

Anyway, they are very compact.  10 of the speedhooks weigh less than one yoyo.
http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Hook-Speedhook-Survival-Trapping/dp/B00AQPJ1P4

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Emmrod
View Quote

I have always wanted to try one of those.  Looks interesting and unique.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top