Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2015 7:47:36 PM EDT
this wont be pictured filled etc, but mostly a initial review on some new footwear im trying.

1st- ive been a merrel guy for several years now. but after an injury and just tired of wearing them out so fast(moab vents) i decided to try out a new brand. ive been eying some ofthe keen line due to price availability but was leary. i hit a local store. was flipping the coin on keen targhee 2 mids  or salomon gtx lows. only issue on the gtx was they were a greenish camo and about 40$ more. i went with the keens.

i wore them for one full day. they are light and i kinda dig the wider toe cup. i then wore them on a few short day hikes. they are listed as water proof/keen dry junk. only  thing i did was a lil camp dry spray onthem. this last weekend i wore then for 3 straight days camping.

it was very muddy were i was. i walked/hiked a few miles each am and evening. i did not dodge any of the muck/mud or standing water.

feet stayed dry the whole time. the boats dried faster than what i expected from a leather sided boot.  the tread pattern worked great in the muck. it didnt clog up and had plenty of grip and cleared out with out much effort(stomping).

time will tell. i can see the soles wearing fast on concrete  day to day use but i got these just for woods use.

link to thier site

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/targhee-ii-mid-wide/shitake!brindle
2- This other choice of footware isnt to tactical or anything. Ive been wanting to start wearing sandals again.(akak teva style) but just havent found anything i liked . I wanted aggressive tread and non leather uppers. I was turned onto a brand by my brother and sis inlaw. They both guide rafts on and off in WV and swore by them The brand is Chaco's. Think tevas on roids imho. My wife got a pair a while back at a stor eon sale. So i went looking. I wanted their z2 series with vibram sole. Its an agressive sole ( think like the vibram on moabs by merrel) and the foot bed is thick. Well i looked andlooked but everything ran 80-140$ By chanve when looking and buying the above keens i saw a pair and they were marked 19$. They do not have the super deep lugged sole like the z2 models i wanted. But are more of atennis show tread. They are green on OD with brown with a almost multicam colored webbing(know how much i love that). Anyway. I figure to try them and if im impressed ill drop the $$ on the z2's i want. I wore them over the course of the above three day trip and a few times before that. They have so much more support than flip flops or other sandals ive owned.  These will replace my older fojo flip flops that have ridden on my BOB for in camp duty for years. They dont slip or slide around  on my feet.

Again time will tell, but honestly i see a pair of the more agressive vibram soled ones in my future.

link

http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/37282M/93561/Mens/Updraft-EcoTread?dimensions=0

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Chaco's are one of the few things that you can put on your feet that give you actual support.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chaco's are one of the few things that you can put on your feet that give you actual support.
View Quote

I think id be more impressed if I was able to get the z2 with the deep Luger sole the foot bed it twice as thick and cups around the heel. These that I have do to but not as much. Its a good 1/2 thinner. But they feel like normal hikers vs sandals which always feel like your flopping flat down or heavy heel strikes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple pair of Chacos.  My original ones are over 10 years old and still going strong, in fact I mow the grass in them during the summer.  I've hiked in them with 20-pound pack weight; I've hiked through canyon streams, mild bouldering, swamping areas and even in 20-degree temps (I have the Z1 models with the over-foot strap vice the two strap so it's easier to use wool socks).

The only downsides is that it takes a while to condition your feet to wear them for extended periods and they weigh much more than most other sandals.  I've moved on to some minimalist sandals for backpacking (backup, river crossings or just to let the feet breath in camp); however, I would strongly consider having a pair of Chaco's in the BOB as they are far more than camp-shoes and they provide the most support for sandal footwear.  

I've heard the new versions aren't as robust as the original, and they may be true to a point.  I have a newer pair and they are more for urban travels in good weather, but my original Chacos are extremely robust and I've worn them hard over the past 10+years with no failures, still decent tread and serviceable straps.  Quite impressive...

They're kind of like the Kifaru of sandals

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah tj these keens were pretty much no break in. But I did wear them few hours here...1-2 mile walk there before wearing all three days. So far I'm.impressed.  they are woods only boot.the merrels I wore day in and out...and they wear fast that way.

Rock can't say on the quality yet. Mine are over the toe like yours (like linked) ...I know a big complaint on the web was the vibram soles separating cuz of an adhesive change. But they do have a good warranty I hear. Mine have their eco sole vs the uniweep /wampa sole they have.
The first day I wore them I had a lil inner arch soreness next day since then nothing.
I bought them for in camp /water crossings. I had a pair of skeletoes for that but the sandals come on off faster.....

If I find a rhino on my sandals ill burn them :p

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah tj same here...used to cheap out on shoes but when I crested 30 yes old...I changed my tune. After my injury more so. I feel bad at times..my wife's still rocking her merrels from three years ago but she only uses them in the woods my daughters on her third pair...me...I lost count. Least two pair a year (on concrete all day) .
If I don't have good support my back aches the next day..my ankles hurt etc. But I'm getting older....LOL so I expect it...reason I try an jog /work out few days a week.....used to cheap out on jogging shoes to....not anymore!!!  Its a world of difference from a 50$ pair of xyz to a 120$ fitted pair that suits your style...like Alice pack with no frame to a framed civy Ruck...

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Rgr...let me know...

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Use to wear Merrils but when looking for a new pair around a year ago I noticed all the bad reviews
Evidently they switched,factories and the quality dropped BIG time. I switched to a pair of Keen Gypsums after trying them on in Gander Mountain and couldn't be happier. I have wide feet and they fit great, no break in and  have held up superbly. YMMV

ETA link to review

link

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Use to wear Merrils but when looking for a new pair around a year ago I noticed all the bad reviews
Evidently they switched,factories and the quality dropped BIG time. I switched to a pair of Keen Gypsums after trying them on in Gander Mountain and couldn't be happier. I have wide feet and they fit great, no break in and  have held up superbly. YMMV

ETA link to review

link

View Quote

I've yet to wear the uppers out on my moabs ...its the sole (vibram) that does. But I'm on concrete 8 hours a day ...

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive worn the Merrels for years. I like them. My Son is in the Air Force and he sent me a pair of OTB Rappel Combat Boots, Ive worn them for a year and they are still like new. I just bought another pair of Merrels, I need a wide so I have to order them off line.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Do little pebbles get stuck under your foot when you wear the Chacos?

I agree with the Merrels and Keens, got both and like them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same as others...but mine don't have the thick foot bed like the unaweep.style (z1-2) . Higher sole might help.
But I don't see any other sandals stopping pebbles per say...vs going full shoe.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

went a jogged for 40 minutes today in them.

gravel dirt road. i ran in the small shoulder as well.(forest road so its tight).so that soft mud,,grass,,leaves sticks etc.

had one small bird/skeet shot sized pebble get in under my arch. rest was just dirt.

i have smooth feet now

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I got tired of kids shoes breaking down too fast. I went to Keens and have not looked back. They can hold up to a 8 and 10 year old then that is the highest recommendation I can give.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

gravel dirt road. i ran in the small shoulder as well.(forest road so its tight).so that soft mud,,grass,,leaves sticks etc.
had one small bird/skeet shot sized pebble get in under my arch. rest was just dirt.
i have smooth feet now
View Quote

That's pretty good in Chacos.  My old pair get abused when I mow about three acres of grass with a push mower...it's my peaceful time where I can get some sun.  The only challenge is having to move fast around fire-ant hills...you can't stand around for long

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's pretty good in Chacos.  My old pair get abused when I mow about three acres of grass with a push mower...it's my peaceful time where I can get some sun.  The only challenge is having to move fast around fire-ant hills...you can't stand around for long

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i have smooth feet now

ROCK6
lower calves are sore this am and a tad along the outside of my calf 3 ocloclk...sides that feet dont hurt etc.

still gonna give it a break, prolly just walk a few miles today or just aquick 20 min jog to stay limber lol

ill jog in the sandals again. but mostly got them to hike in.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lower calves are sore this am and a tad along the outside of my calf 3 ocloclk...sides that feet dont hurt etc.

still gonna give it a break, prolly just walk a few miles today or just aquick 20 min jog to stay limber lol
ill jog in the sandals again. but mostly got them to hike in.

View Quote

It took me about six months to transition into barefoot shoes for running.  Without a whole lot of support, you really work calf, quad and ankle muscles which just takes time to condition.  My wife's son (yeah, she gets the credit when he does something stupid or questionable) hiked two different 30+ mile sections of the AT barefoot.

Feet can be conditioned to be quite tough, although I still recommend at least some bottom protection like sandals!  I've hiked in some pretty rough areas with Sandals, to include some pretty swampy areas and prickly/thorny areas in Texas.  Most fear exposure of their feet, but if you can get past the mental aspect, it's really baseless; although you do need to pay more attention to how and where you step.  I don't backpack in sandals, but I will day hike in them.  Even with low-cut, barefoot shoes, hiking all day is quite fatiguing unless you're very well conditioned...or like my son, young and stupid  Oh, and if you're familiar with Blood Mountain, my son did that last six-seven miles over to Neel's Gap running barefoot with a 25 pound pack.  He was waiting on my wife and I for about two hours...he's a monster on the trail, you have to love youth!

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
yeah i tried hiking in my skeletoes. ...even with 20lb pack..i was done with them for that use.

i thought theyd do well for mucky trails etc,,and ive walked in sludge with them, but theres just no support once you start adding packs etc.

so ive kinda set them aside for now. i like them but they are like a basin wrench..a one job tool. least with the chacos i can do more with them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I always have a set of flip flops handy.  During my last hunting trip in the rockies I had a hard time pairing down items and left them at the truck along with my spare pair of boots.  
After a day hunting in the pouring rain with soaked through boots, covering almost 20 miles, 10 miles of that loaded with roughly 30 pounds, and another couple miles loaded with 75~100 pound.  
That was what lead to my first experience of the onsets of trench foot.  
I will tell you it was bad, like your foot "falls asleep" and wont wake back up, like walking on pins and needles for the next week.  
Any ways moral of the story is, I hiked out 6 or 7 miles back to the truck with a pack full of elk and got my spare boots and flip flops.  
Flip flops were worn around camp even when the temps dropped to 20 degrees.  
To me, sandals of any kind from that point forward are almost mandatory when headed into the bush for anything more then a day hike.  
I am going to get some good ones, like you guys are posting about come spring.
Back when I was a teenager I did a 3 day canoe trip only wearing sandals.  5 mile portage with loaded packs and all.

Back in the 90s I used something similar to this, but old school:

I defiantly want something that's a bit more locked onto the foot for more outdoor use, hiking, woods bumming etc.  It can be challenging with flip flops.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#22]
A pair of hiking boots every day. I’ve worn Merrell and like them. I need a new pair of boots and would like to try Keen. I’m not a sandal guy, but I have a pair of Keen Newport H2 sandals that I really like. Then a pair of 6” Danner Workman boots and I’m pretty much set for shoes for work, home, church, camping, everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Yip Derrick in the 90s I wore ones like that all the time..had the ugly foot tan lines LOL ...
But they were really lacking in the support department.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top