Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:57:14 AM EDT
Edit: back to the usual price on Amazon.

I've been wanting to pick one of these up for a while and I'm not aware of anywhere selling them for under $90. Ordered one for $70.86 from Amazon (Link).

I'll update when it ships.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Good price, but what a loud stove.  The thing sounds like a jet engine...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I love these stoves, but I'm not sold on the new leg design.  I like my tried and true bent wire style legs.  Anyone have experience with the new design?  Good, bad, indifferent?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]

I have one (old design), works good, but takes forever to heat coffee at altitude.  Super light though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love these stoves, but I'm not sold on the new leg design.  I like my tried and true bent wire style legs.  Anyone have experience with the new design?  Good, bad, indifferent?
View Quote

I'll let you know what I think when mine arrives. I like the serrated edges on the arms, but the new legs do look a little less stable than the old design. I figure I can stake it down with wire staples if need be.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw this thread earlier today and checked the link, price came back as 67 bucks.

Just checked it again and now its $62 bucks.

I'll wait some more and maybe it will be under $50

Nice price, I'd buy one if I didn't already have one from my .mil days. Humped that effer all over the place and seemed like it would burn almost anything with one of the 2 jets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]

i've had one of those stoves for 7 or 8 years and it is good kit.

lightest?  no.  
most clever?  no.  
quietest?  no.

works all the time?  yes.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have one (old design), works good, but takes forever to heat coffee at altitude.  Super light though.
View Quote

If all you want to do it boil/heat up water...get a Jetboil. They get a pint or two of water boiling in under a minute.  Worthless for heating anything else than water though......but for water, they are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had one for over 20 years.... rock solid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lightest?  no.  
most clever?  no.  
quietest?  no.

ar-jedi

View Quote

At any temperature, with just about any fuel. (wont do summer diesel at -45 though , until you cut it with gasoline or warm the fuel up in your jacket first.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw this thread earlier today and checked the link, price came back as 67 bucks.

Just checked it again and now its $62 bucks.

I'll wait some more and maybe it will be under $50

Nice price, I'd buy one if I didn't already have one from my .mil days. Humped that effer all over the place and seemed like it would burn almost anything with one of the 2 jets.
View Quote

If it hits $50 they might get a second order from me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

These things actually work, and some report a slight reduction in fuel usage:http://www.quietstove.com/quietstove/index.html.  Being brass, they do add some weight.  As against that, the gizmos are almost indestructible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good price, but what a loud stove.  The thing sounds like a jet engine...

These things actually work, and some report a slight reduction in fuel usage:http://www.quietstove.com/quietstove/index.html.  Being brass, they do add some weight.  As against that, the gizmos are almost indestructible.

Interesting. Stove suppressors.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lightest?  no.  
most clever?  no.  
quietest?  no.

ar-jedi

View Quote

I have a regular Whisperlite (white gas only). I bought it the first year they came out -> 84'. It is the only stove I carry. Always works... at 12k in snow & wind  -> works... in Death Valley in the summer -> works...

The only failure was not a show stopper. I had the pump retention tabs break on the old gray pump. It was on day one of a 7 day trip. The pump would pop out from the back pressure when pumping but we cooked all our meals...

The new red and black pumps are way better.

My only complaint is with the fuel not the stove. Unburned white gas stinks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is coming tomorrow. I need to grab a container of Coleman white gas on the way home tonight. I've seen the MSR fuel blend in stock locally but I'm not sure if it's worth the price.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a whisperlight believer. It's been my main backpacking stove forever- it's light and just plain works. I love that you are not beholden to pressurized fuel bottles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the stove on Thursday. I'm loving it so far.

Pros:

• Very simple to light. I tried it with numb, cold hands and was still able to light it right up.

• It's really not terribly loud.

• Solid, quality construction.

Cons:

• Somewhat unstable with light/small cookware since the braided fuel line is fairly stiff. Needs staking or a stove base.

• Simmering is definitely possible, but a bit tricky.

Overall, well worth the price. I'm going to try it with Unleaded next week, since white gas was $12/gallon at Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
All variants of the MSR Whisperlight stove have a pump which screws into the MSR, pressure-rated fuel bottle, which is then pressurized in order to run the stove. The exception is the newer Whisperlight Universal, which when not using a pressurized fuel bottle, can use a pressurized fuel canister

Do you own some other variant of the Whisperlight that does NOT use a pump/pressurized fuel bottle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a whisperlight believer. It's been my main backpacking stove forever- it's light and just plain works. I love that you are not beholden to pressurized fuel bottles.

All variants of the MSR Whisperlight stove have a pump which screws into the MSR, pressure-rated fuel bottle, which is then pressurized in order to run the stove. The exception is the newer Whisperlight Universal, which when not using a pressurized fuel bottle, can use a pressurized fuel canister

Do you own some other variant of the Whisperlight that does NOT use a pump/pressurized fuel bottle?

No, I suppose I mean fuel canister rather than bottle. I love the fact that you fill and pressurize the bottles yourself, rather than use pre-pressurized fuel canisters. I like my old car camping/emergency home Coleman Dual Fuel unit for the same reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top