Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:36 PM EDT
Forgive me for posting on an idea not being completely executed, but like many others I enjoy my old ALICE pack retrofitted with the MOLLE II straps and I've been wanting a method of adding a hydration bladder to the setup.

There are folks who just toss a bladder in one of the pouches, in the main compartment, or inside the thinner inside radio pouch. As I have yet to upgrade to fastex type buckles, the pack is still somewhat of a pain in the ass to dig in to on short notice and I don't want to take away from the space needed inside for other things.

My idea is to use one of the horizontal type camelback bladders, like the kind used by runners in the fanny pack type apparatus and mount it outside the pack, to the frame inside the area just above the 'shelf' of the frame where the waist belt attaches. There seems to be just enough room there so that a horizontal bladder could be there between the pack and your back and you'd still have airspace there. The problem is mounting the thing- but I think a bit of mesh fabric sown in a tube shape- perhaps even some XXL panty hose could be stretched around the frame there and give the bladder a zone to sit in.

Idea in progress, please chime in but I'm going to do this and post pics eventually.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Tactical Tailor makes an IV kit bag that fits into the frame like the way you're describing.

It says it'll hold a liter IV bag. If you got a one liter bladder you could possibly mod this pouch into something that would work for you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might consider buying the H.U.M.P. pouch from Spec-Ops.  It employs a standard, vertically oriented bladder to accomplish what you want to do.  I will say that you should make sure that you are able to fill your bladder from the mouthpiece end of the drinking tube, as removing the bladder once in place is a bit of a hassle.

Here's the instructions; the second part is pertinent to your needs:http://www.specopsbrand.com/media/pdf/H.U.M.P.pdf

ETA:  Just because there is an off-the shelf item that will do what you want does NOT mean your original idea was not worth pursuing.  Try them both.  Maybe your idea once fully developed, will prove superior.  Only one way to find out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive me for posting on an idea not being completely executed, but like many others I enjoy my old ALICE pack retrofitted with the MOLLE II straps and I've been wanting a method of adding a hydration bladder to the setup.

There are folks who just toss a bladder in one of the pouches, in the main compartment, or inside the thinner inside radio pouch. As I have yet to upgrade to fastex type buckles, the pack is still somewhat of a pain in the ass to dig in to on short notice and I don't want to take away from the space needed inside for other things.

My idea is to use one of the horizontal type camelback bladders, like the kind used by runners in the fanny pack type apparatus and mount it outside the pack, to the frame inside the area just above the 'shelf' of the frame where the waist belt attaches. There seems to be just enough room there so that a horizontal bladder could be there between the pack and your back and you'd still have airspace there. The problem is mounting the thing- but I think a bit of mesh fabric sown in a tube shape- perhaps even some XXL panty hose could be stretched around the frame there and give the bladder a zone to sit in.

Idea in progress, please chime in but I'm going to do this and post pics eventually.

You might consider buying the H.U.M.P. pouch from Spec-Ops.  It employs a standard, vertically oriented bladder to accomplish what you want to do.  I will say that you should make sure that you are able to fill your bladder from the mouthpiece end of the drinking tube, as removing the bladder once in place is a bit of a hassle.

Here's the instructions; the second part is pertinent to your needs:http://www.specopsbrand.com/media/pdf/H.U.M.P.pdf

ETA:  Just because there is an off-the shelf item that will do what you want does NOT mean your original idea was not worth pursuing.  Try them both.  Maybe your idea once fully developed, will prove superior.  Only one way to find out.

Well I ended up ordering the HUMP thing since when I clicked on the link it was on clearance for under 10 bucks so I figured it was worth a try. I've got it now and have some things to report:

First off, the attachment system is made to be compatible with the old style straps, so if you have the  MOLLE II straps installed it presents some difficulty since the HUMP is designed to occupy the same place that is now occupied by the new strap attachments. This results in having to hang the thing a bit lower than normal, with the bottom attachments kind of reaching up and back to curl the pouch up and out hanging low enough to almost butt cheek level.

I'm not sure how it will work hanging like this with a bladder installed. Also, the HUMP is designed for an entire hydration system (camelbak STORM, etc) to be installed within it, and it's stated that will not suspend correctly with just a bladder only inside it, so to know if it works at all or not I need to get more stuff together and find out. This also will add more weight to an already burly system.

These things are spelled out in the documentation, and it's all on me for ordering before I read up on it thoroughly, and it was sure cheap enough- so I'm not complaining.  

I'll post pics and a final update when I get it all done, but something tells me that the horizontal bladder at the bottom of the frame, held by a bit of mesh/pantyhose/ etc is still going to be the lightest and cheapest option but I'm going to give the HUMP a good try before I throw in the towel on it entirely.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top