Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 4:03:13 PM EDT
I have a Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 inverter that won't power up. No lights, display, nothing. Does this sound like a blown fuse, or could there be a more serious problem? Xantrex no longer offers service on this model and I'm not sure where to take if it's anything more serious than a blown fuse.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To what are you connecting it?  Are you sure it's getting a solid 12 volts or so?  

Can you try connecting it to another voltage source, your car's battery perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The fact that absolutely nothing lights up when the power switch is turned on is a clue that none of the circuitry is receiving power.

According to page 13 of the owner's manual, there is an internal fuse that can blow if the battery connections are reversed.

Sounds like you need to open it up, and see if anything is obviously smoked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fact that absolutely nothing lights up when the power switch is turned on is a clue that none of the circuitry is receiving power.

According to page 13 of the owner's manual, there is an internal fuse that can blow if the battery connections are reversed.

Sounds like you need to open it up, and see if anything is obviously smoked.
View Quote

Agreed, if nothing is lighting up at all then something blew out. I would start with the fuse.  When you open it up look at where the DC voltage cables come in and contact the circuit board.  If there is anything black or burned looking material then you may just have to toss it.  If there isn't anything then look at the fuse as suggested by Skibane and do a continuity test with a volt meter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Even if something is burned chances are its a part that is only a couple of dollars. Most electronics have hundreds of discreet components. (though this one likely has much less)  If just a single one fails it can stop the whole show. Just open it up and have a look.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up sending it back to the seller (eBay) since I know I didn't cross-connect the leads. Now he won't refund my money because he claims it tested fine before he sent it and that I connected it wrong, apparently because I didn't ground it when I first tested it. He's full of shit, right?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Grounding is just a recommended safety precaution in some models.

Not grounding it doesn't damage it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top