-Anti headbumps? Maybe
-Motorcross? Not
-Staying warm? Not/Maybe
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Level III
View Quote
I'd trade my ballistic for a bump helmet in a heart beat for most things.  Only time I want a ballistic is if we're gearing up for a raid/DA mission

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd trade my ballistic for a bump helmet in a heart beat for most things.  Only time I want a ballistic is if we're gearing up for a raid/DA mission  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Level III

Totally concur. Only wore mine for DA ops (old CVC helmet) or my MICH when operating as a turret gunner on a GMV. Dismounted/sniper/recon missions wore a pro-tech at night w/ NVG, boonie in the daytime.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience is limited to the PASGT "Kevlar" type helmet I was issued. No way in hell that thing would stop more than frag or maybe a pistol bullet. It was not worth the weight in our eyes at the time.

Boonie or 8pt cover would have been my desire 100% of the time. I just used the head harness when using NV.

I now see the utility of the bump helmet as a platform for NV and protection. I have started doing a lot of night hiking and one of the things I don't go without is eye protection. Luckily I have to wear glasses anyway and I have some prescription clear lens Oakleys that I wear. I am way more likely to fall in the dark or like last night slip on some wet and slippery bare granite and bust my head.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a proper helmet for whatever activity you plan on doing. If that requires multiple helmets, it's worth it (within reason).
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
When i first came in we had the old steel pots, I used to bitch about how useless the damn thing was until it saved me from splitting my skull open. I staggered away with a stove up neck and a slight concussion but at least my brains were still in my head. Never bitched about the old girl again.

They are like anything else you need the right one for the job you are doing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
How important is a helmet?

It's not important.  Till bullets or fragments are heading for your head.

After a shitty bicycle crash a while back, helmets took on a new importance for me.  Think of it as "minimum safety gear for the activity."
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Very important if you have a tendency to walk into things or fall down a lot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top