BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Haha thanks.  I think both of those options are awesome!  I have slept under the old blue tarp quite a bit and probably will again at some point.  Admittedly I like my toys and because I've gotten more into putting in bigger miles in shorter periods I've gone in the direction of dedicated light/ultralight backpacking gear.  But I love anything anyone is using to spend time out in the woods.  

What kind of outfitter tent is that?  I don't have any use for that kind of thing currently, but it sure looks like fun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice pictures and a lot of good info!!!  I will contradict the post a bit with my response though as I tend to be a cheap skate who goes straight up blue tarp or one who goes all out with an outfitter style tent.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/bushcraft/PICT0356_zps344f1ae7.jpg

or

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/co2014/WP_20141022_001_zps4f7d81f0.jpg

Good post OP!

Haha thanks.  I think both of those options are awesome!  I have slept under the old blue tarp quite a bit and probably will again at some point.  Admittedly I like my toys and because I've gotten more into putting in bigger miles in shorter periods I've gone in the direction of dedicated light/ultralight backpacking gear.  But I love anything anyone is using to spend time out in the woods.  

What kind of outfitter tent is that?  I don't have any use for that kind of thing currently, but it sure looks like fun!

Its a Cabelas Outback Lodge tent:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Outfitter-Tents%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104481180/Cabelas-Outback-Lodge-Tent-150-10-x-10/713742.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Foutfitter-tents%2F_%2FN-1100672%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104481180%3FWTz_l%3Dundefined%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104481180

Lived in it for 10 days in the Rockies with no heat source.  Temps ranged from 15 degrees to 75 degrees.

Heavy no doubt but when setting up a longer term camp being able to get yourself and gear out of the weather is key IMO.  We divided the weight up between four guys and it wasn't to bad.  We were more concerned about covering ground stalking deer and elk then putting on miles for the purpose of hiking.  I did manage over 100 miles that week but the less then half of those were fully loaded.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like a ton of fun thanks for sharing.  I love the whole set up you guys had there.  

That tent looks like a pretty cost effective base camp in comparison to the kifaru/seekoutside tee pees.  Obviously its a lot heavier, but like you said for base camping that weight savings won't be worth the money for a lot of people, probably myself included.

With that said, now that I think about it if looking for 3-4 people (yours was a 6 person so with gear on a hunting trip thats a really a 3-4 person I think) for pretty much the exact same money as that Cabelas this 6 person set up is 3lbs, and you get the options to use all of the other smaller configurations for other trips.  Yours has a floor I think and that 3lbs doesn't include the trekking poles or whatever you would use as the shelter supports so it isn't a direct comparison, but considering I'm already on the LBO wagon that would be my go to for a base camp.  

Thanks again for sharing I loved all of that.  I'm thinking we maybe need a thread to post all kinds of camp/shelter/etc pics in.  They have one at bushcraftusa forums that is pretty awesome.  

ETA: scratch that I misread the cabelas price thought it was 519 not 419. So LBO still going to be another 100+ dollars.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top