Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 11:57:56 AM EDT
I realize that most generators you need like 5 feet or something to comply with most city codes.  There are some generators though, I'm specifically looking at a Generac model, that is built for 18" clearances, assuming your local building codes allow for this.

The location I'd like to use one already has a decent concrete slab for a pad but it is close to the house.  However there are no windows or air intakes of any kind nearby; the closest window is at least 8 feet away.  I would like to be able to set the genny right onto the slab which will put it closer than 18" to my house.  Frankly I don't really see any problems having it this close and I understand the clearances are there for a reason in case something goes wrong with the genny they want to be able to prevent any damage to your house.  But in truth, on the size of my lot, I really have nowhere else I could put this thing and this small slab is perfect but it's just close to the exterior wall.

In my area the power has went out maybe once in the last 3-4 years, so not very often.  But when a real emergency happens, I want to be ready and I imagine people won't really be too concerned about building codes at that point.  Any thoughts on placing the genny in this location?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I vary on answers for this, depends on if I just redid insurance or something else.

If that installation causes a problem that has you require your insurance company to come fix something, like melt the siding or burn the house down or whatever, you might find your insurance company is not happy.  Depending on how things are written, might not be covered in some instances.

I just got my renewal in the mail and it is probably 30pages or more of paperwork to wade through.  Some is easy, some is legal fine print that I slowly make notes on, putting legal gobbly gook into english words my little brain can put into a sentance and comprehend.

Anyway, now and then a phrase about alterations to existing structure will be done to local code might be a phrase to watch for.

I would probably install the generator a bit like a wood stove.  Get some cement backer board or something to keep the heat away from the house and perhaps building an enclosure to keep it out of the weather would be good.  I like the little structures with built in exhaust fans that run anytime the generator is on, and this is just home built stuff  some of it posted here in the past.

I like to read up on rv boards and the home made rv stuff is mostly what interests me because of the ideas that folks come up with.  You could see how some of those enclosures deal with things because they don't have room for a lot of clearance on a vehicle.

Do some reading and see what others decide to post.

One example I used with my insurance company when I was changing addresses and going over the new rental was the woodstove concept.  There is no wood or coal stove hooked up in the house.  When I was moving in there was an old coal stove, it is physically sitting outside on the porch now and not hooked up.

But give me a monster power outage and natural gas issues where there is no way to heat the house, and I bet that sucker hooks back up pretty easily.

Emergencies have some leeway depending on who you talk to and getting it in writing might not be possable so then you have to decide how you feel about the word of a company.

My landlord and I have a solid agreement on the issue and overall it comes down to me doing the best I could to cover the bases but in the legal mumbo jumbo world of legallese it is not covered and we all agree emergencies are emergencies but even with the emergency the legal paperwork says no wood or coal burning stove.

Landlord owns house I rent.  No mortgage or anything on house.  He deals with his insurance for house.  I deal with insurance for my junk and my actions.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a Lincoln Ranger 8 in case I need to re-weld the bars on a pull-push Garden cart with ATV tires
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If your looking at a Generac that is rated for 18" of clearance then it's a metal enclosure model. They really don't heat up much on the front and back so I don't see it being a problem.

If interested, Kohler now sells a 20kw in a metal enclosure for the same price of the normal plastic. Around $3,800 I believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top