BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 12:16:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've worn Belleville boots for years both at work as a tank mechanic and also as everyday out-and-about shoes..once they get broken in they're great..I've worn the bottoms off of probably 10 pairs so far and have no plans on trying any other brand.. My personal favorite is the 300 TROP ST, but I am considering trying out one of their similar models with the composite toe.. Ive used them camping, hiking, six flags with the kids...I'd wear them on the beach if the wifey would let me
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Bates
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Bates works for me too. I have found that every one is different, you need to find what works for you and stick with it. I tried the Altama EXO speed 2 and hated them, wore them one time to work and they ate my feet up. I have had good success with Bates boots, they have held up well and are very comfortable to me. I just picked up a pair of these ones today.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/bates-e01801-delta-8-desert.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Danner. I wish I discovered them sooner. I'll take the Chinese Danners over Rocky's any day. Last few pair of Rocky's I had were missing gortex, and didn't hold up at all. Literally fell apart in 2 months. I couldn't even get a response from Rocky. They came out of clothing allowance so, I had to burn my own money to replace them. I have USA made Danners and made in China mil/duty boots and hunting. After I got hurt spine doc wanted to know why I was still wearing boots. I explained I got more support from the boots, the pain came on faster in regular shoes versus boots. He messed around with them and agreed, I was better off wearing the Danners.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Belleville - I've been in a pair of 790 ST's for about a year and a half.  I'll order another pair when these get worn out.

ETA:  these guys are great to deal with.  I've bought a couple of pair of boots over the years from them, and they are always helpful.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny how a lot of units started using hiking boots in Afganistan.

Just because it's "military" does not mean it's the best product for the task or environment.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Danner, Belleville,(interchangeable) Matterhorn, Rocky...that order..I own all 4..and have worn them for 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
http://us.magnumboots.com/product-stealth-force-8-0-sz-wpi-black.html

My last pair, favorite so far.

Previous boost, i have wore in the past 9 years in the civilian side of the house.

Bates ultralight (fell apart in 3 months)
Converse (now reebok) lasted about 9 months. These were my second favorite.
Rocky alpha force (will destroy your feet, hard to break in).
Matterhorn (heavy but best quality type) Stop wearing because they set off metal detectors due to the metal eyelits.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've worn belleville 390s for damn near 10 years now
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 pairs of bellevilles sitting in the closet right now.

They are a bear to break in, but the wear like sneakers now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Custom-made Russel Moccasin boots made with kangaroo leather are about all I ever wear any more. Light, durable, and as comfortable as socks. If money's not a problem, that's my recommendation.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just because it's "military" does not mean it's the best product for the task or environment.
View Quote

yep, I wore a pair of merrills when I went on mission in afghanistan.  It was against regulation, but higher didnt really care as long as we didnt wear them when not on mission.

I actually still wear them for work boots around the house, they are now finally starting to come apart after a year in afghanistan and two years back home.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Belleville 390 DES.  Been wearing them for about 10 years, I've gone through maybe 4 pairs.  About to get the current pair resoled.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Granted I'm not in the service anymore but I've had a pair green jungles and black jungles for over 20 years. Soles are damned near gone but they'll still comfortable as hell.

Just picked up a pair of Wellco steel toed S160 AF boots. Wore them dry Sunday and they rubbed a small blister. Put on a pair of Gore Tex socks, soaked them in water and wore them til dry on Monday. No problems.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]
The Danner TFX's were some of the most comfortable boots I ever wore. The older Oakleys were great as well. I'm not sold in the newer ones.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If you will be in and out of water, I'd recommend against any of the "waterproof" combat boots.  They are great right up until water gets inside them, then all that "waterproof" capability tends to keep the water IN.  I'd go for quick-drying and lots of ventilation, if I expected to be in a swampy area or ford streams/rivers.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I love the USMC RAT boots.  Expensive and heavy, but very comfortable and durable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love the USMC RAT boots.  Expensive and heavy, but very comfortable and durable.
View Quote

These are my #1 choice...    Oakleys come in 2nd...   Had a pair of Oakleys last 6 years....  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I hear what you're saying. This is me in the kind of evinroment I'm going to be using these boots.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/HUNTER223/Imagen027.jpg
Thick jungle, lots of snakes, lots of mud, water.
HTR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you will be in and out of water, I'd recommend against any of the "waterproof" combat boots.  They are great right up until water gets inside them, then all that "waterproof" capability tends to keep the water IN.  I'd go for quick-drying and lots of ventilation, if I expected to be in a swampy area or ford streams/rivers.

I hear what you're saying. This is me in the kind of evinroment I'm going to be using these boots.

HTR.

hey did you move to florida lol

my shtf boots are the 790's iirc ( black goretex soft sided issue boot)..they are nice on rocks,,hard surfaces and water ...

untill it goes over the top . As already posted above.

They are built like a tank. The tread pattern is ok but will clog up going from say silty /gravel stream bed to mud/loose sand/muck which then adds three pounds LOL.

But over all they are a do all pattern.

Ive been eyeing up the new balance (otb iirc) jungle boot. Even the old altma jungle boots that i used to wear when younger with the deep lugged "panama" sole look better each day. light,,dry times etc

i wear merrels each day. they dry fast,,drain h20..but arent water proof.

Honestly if your mucking it up it wont matter unless youve got full rubber boots on.

snakes will go through most "combat" boots least ones we have here..im sure you got a few lil nasties down that way that would compare.

so its a trade off..have good drainage...or stay dry till your to deep then stuck walking in buckets of h20?

same debate here ..ive been having..

if it wasnt for foot rot or injuries id wear chacos sandals (think tevas on steroids)..

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Custom-made Russel Moccasin boots made with kangaroo leather are about all I ever wear any more. Light, durable, and as comfortable as socks. If money's not a problem, that's my recommendation.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com
View Quote

They are not cheap (or military) but I love my Russells.  I have a couple pair of boots and a pair of their Oneida Moccasins.  They are my favorite (and most comfortable) footwear.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The hiking boots we were issued werent all that comfortable, or durable. At least IMO. I still preferred by Dinner Rivets and my Rocky S2V's that I brought with me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't say enough about Garmont T8s, their NFS model is a more athletic version of the T8,  I own both and can't complain...also Merrill Sawtooths aren't bad, if you have access to anyone (or you yourself are eligible) who has a Promotive account, you can pick up most Merrill boots for $70-90. Haven't out the sawtooths in the water yet but I have with the Garmonts, no complaints
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

HTR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTR.

Are you wearing LL Bean boots?  

If that is typical of your environment and deep stream crossings are inevitable the classic Jungle Boot or a modern derivative might be the best choice.  Gore-tex just holds water in when you go over the top and it is better to have a lighter boot that dries quickly IMHO. That might be at odds with snake proof boots though.

http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/2008/10/jungle-boots-gear-for-rainforest.html

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mainly these two.

Rattle snakes:
http://static.betazeta.com/www.fayerwayer.com/up/2011/11/serpiente_cascabel-660x350.jpg
And Yararas:
http://www.fm899.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/yarara.jpg

There are other snakes like the coral but it's very unlike to get injected by.one of those. They will bite, but they are not very effective injecting as their fangs are placed to deep inside their mouth

Any of those two above will seriously ruin your day.

Are you sure they would go through your boot? I never heard that before. Not arguing, just really honestly curious about it.

HTR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HTR.

hey did you move to florida lol

my shtf boots are the 790's iirc ( black goretex soft sided issue boot)..they are nice on rocks,,hard surfaces and water ...

untill it goes over the top . As already posted above.

They are built like a tank. The tread pattern is ok but will clog up going from say silty /gravel stream bed to mud/loose sand/muck which then adds three pounds LOL.
But over all they are a do all pattern.

Ive been eyeing up the new balance (otb iirc) jungle boot. Even the old altma jungle boots that i used to wear when younger with the deep lugged "panama" sole look better each day. light,,dry times etc

i wear merrels each day. they dry fast,,drain h20..but arent water proof.
Honestly if your mucking it up it wont matter unless youve got full rubber boots on.

snakes will go through most "combat" boots least ones we have here..im sure you got a few lil nasties down that way that would compare.

so its a trade off..have good drainage...or stay dry till your to deep then stuck walking in buckets of h20?
same debate here ..ive been having..

if it wasnt for foot rot or injuries id wear chacos sandals (think tevas on steroids)..

Mainly these two.

Rattle snakes:
http://static.betazeta.com/www.fayerwayer.com/up/2011/11/serpiente_cascabel-660x350.jpg
And Yararas:
http://www.fm899.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/yarara.jpg

There are other snakes like the coral but it's very unlike to get injected by.one of those. They will bite, but they are not very effective injecting as their fangs are placed to deep inside their mouth

Any of those two above will seriously ruin your day.

Are you sure they would go through your boot? I never heard that before. Not arguing, just really honestly curious about it.

HTR.

Yeah our biggest issues are water moccasins ..eastern d -back and pigmy rattle snakes..corals don't /wont do much.
I wouldn't trust the belvilles to be snake proof..the sides are typical soft cordora and goretex.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top