Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 2:04:03 PM EDT
I need a new ax for use around the homestead but a smaller version would be nice to have to take hiking/camping.  I found this
bush ax

looks pretty nice.   A buddy has a Fiskars hatchet but it is too small. What would the hive recommend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for that link. Looks like  a great product.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Condor 1.5 LB Greenland Axe in my truck that is the perfect size. YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
estwing campers axe is a handy little tool. one peice of steel
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Find an old head and hang a new handle yourself!

Otherwise you pretty much get what you pay for.  Estwing stuff is good for a part time user or carpenter, for true backwoods or bushcraft a nice propperly handled axe is worth its weight.

That husky axe is a good suggestion as well according to everything I have read, never actually bought one of those myself.

From everything I have compaired over the years, and while I like Les, his bushman axe seems to be a litlte overpriced IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Gransfors Bruks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
estwing campers axe is a handy little tool. one peice of steel
View Quote

This is what I was going to suggest.  Well made (in the US) and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Best Axe for the Money!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the Husky from the amazon link. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The Estwing ones will last until you have grandkids, but aren't perfect.

Gransfers are awesome, but expensive.

I saw some Sthil axes at the hardware store recently, well hung with good handles, made in Germany, a little pricey but not nearly as expensive as a Gransfers.

You will need two axes, for around the house you are going to want a full size one, if you are hiking with one you'll probably want a smaller boys axe.

I am a convert to folding saws, I got sick of lugging around a 3 lb axe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I got an axe bug not too long ago and should be completing a review of Gransfors soon after I break in the latest purchase I'm up to 4 GBs now, they are very specialized seem to make one for everything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love my Gransfors Bruks!
View Quote

Best axe made, I have a Scandinavian Forrest Axe and love it. That axe is amazingly well made and it cam with a razor sharp edge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I received my Husqvarna ax today and I must say it is excellent.  Sharp as hell, beautiful balance, great grain on the handle.   Thanks for the great recommendation.  Look forward to many happy swings with this finely crafted tool.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top