Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 12:03:14 AM EDT
Every now and then you see someone with a knife hanging on a neck lanyard of some kind.  How do they do that without the risk of getting strangled?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
They probably just haven't thought about it
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I do wear and have thought about it..... ball chain, dog tag chain, whatever you want to call it.  Will break well before you strangle yourself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the knife just bounce all over if you ever have to run?  I would find that incredibly annoying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do wear and have thought about it..... ball chain, dog tag chain, whatever you want to call it.  Will break well before you strangle yourself.
View Quote

Yup.  I was thinking some kind of weak link is needed to keep it safe.  Ball chain would probably work, or maybe some paracord with a breakaway clasp.

Still looking
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I hang mine on a paracord lanyard with a break away clasp.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every now and then you see someone with a knife hanging on a neck lanyard of some kind.  How do they do that without the risk of getting strangled?
View Quote

I use cord locks with paracord.  Allows you to have the versatility of 550 cord with the safety of a week link.  Also makes it quick to adjust.  I use cord attached to something like a Mora to keep it semi modular.  Slip it in your pocket or around your neck, or loop the cord around your belt and through itself to create a dangler sheath, just adjust the cord lock down and your good to go.  The length of cord I keep on hand is prefect for a bow drill to.

Doing a lot of work outside I don't always care for a knife on my belt.  A leatherman wave serves me well for a belt tool for EDC and use around the homestead.  That is one of the main reasons I always have a Mora with me.  Its quick to throw on your belt, in your pocket or around your neck. 80% of the time it lives in my EDC bag or pack and I pull it out when I need it.  I know every one thinks they need to have a big belt knife all the time but growing up around hunting and a DIY type family very rarely do you ever used a fixed blade.  Multi tool or pocket knife always did what needed doing.  Only when I started to dabble in "bushcraft" did I start liking and using Mora fixed blades.  A chunk of paracord and cord lock makes it pretty vestal.  I have several leather sheaths for my Mora blades but always come back to the basic sheath in the above configuration.

Quoted:
Does the knife just bounce all over if you ever have to run?  I would find that incredibly annoying.
View Quote

Not much running involved with bushcraft or woodcraft.  If I did need to run it would be tucked under a shirt or taken of and placed in my pocket.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What he said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I want a kydex neck sheath for my Mora no 2.......
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want a kydex neck sheath for my Mora no 2.......
View Quote

You should start making them then send me one...  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
They make breakaway connections for neck cords. Some people use a rubber O ring as a breakaway link.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They make breakaway connections for neck cords. Some people use a rubber O ring as a breakaway link.
View Quote

Seems like a simple and workable idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Para Chord with Chord Locks on my Esee Izula II
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a smaller beaded chain that's meant to break.  They aren't too bad, under a tee shirt they don't flop around much and they hide pretty well.  Here's a couple of mine.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Always something to consider no matter what is around your neck.

Lots of folks have had stuff hang up when working on equipment or out in the woods and off a nice cleared trail.

I just hate something around my neck.

At work they issues whistles.

Stock the nylon cord does not break easily.

Some folks did some paracord braiding and did this and did that.

Those who have seen me know I am not a small fella.  One braid held me with ease.

It is one thing if the whistle is on the should epaulet or whatever those things are.

Whole nother if you put something around your neck that holds a 350lb fella doing a bit of bouncing on the thing.

One fella sucked at knots.  Had a braid with 4 or 5 strands but the connection was weak and gave out when we were messing around.

He learned knots.  It has no weak link now.

If I was someplace really hot where normal wear was down to shorts and a t shirt I would go with a neck knife I reckon, and still carry a firearm in the pocket of the shorts or something.

As it is I wear pants all the time and have no issues with a knife on the belt or in the pocket.  Lots of pants these days have extra pockets, might be cargo pants or carpenter jeans or whatever they call em now.

When I see people with passports or wallets on a necklace of some sort I shake my head since I want a break away on there and while I guess it is pretty secure in that area I just don't want something around my neck that someone might want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top