Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 10:10:58 AM EDT
I'm about to purchase a tri-fuel generator, which includes burning natural gas. I don't have a tap outside, but I do have a gas log fireplace (burns wood as well) that I don't have any logs hooked up to; I use the tap to start wood fires sometimes, so it is uncapped and controlled from a valve next to the fireplace.

I'm looking for sources and tips on using a 50' or longer hose with quick disconnects to reach from the fireplace, though the living area, out a window and to the backyard for, more or less, indefinite full supply if I run out of gas/LP tank supply.

Is anyone else doing this and what equipment are you using?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#1]
go to www.propane-generators.com  they sell the hoses and have info on the correct sizing for model and length of run
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go to www.propane-generators.com  they sell the hoses and have info on the correct sizing for model and length of run
View Quote

Thanks for the tip, but...my luck dead link.  Quick Disconnect Hose Couplers
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your gas line size to the house and delivery pressure.  It might run but it can starve once it loads up.  I've had that problem before, had to upsize the line coming in from the main.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you post a pic of your meter?  Usually there is a way to attach a line at the meter.

I wouldn't be attaching a line to the gas fireplace for a couple reasons but the big reason is, for natural gas the fireplace line probably isn't big enough to run a generator.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I ran a 1" pipe from my basement to my garage from the existing piping; about 8 feet but it's at the farthest point from the gas meter. Our utility serves us with 7 inches water column of pressure which equates to about 1/4 psi. The problem you will encounter is the fact that there is always a pressure drop from the meter along the piping and especially at the farthest point from the meter. So even though the meter delivers 7 inches water column by the time it got to the farthest point in my house it was down to 5 1/2 inches water column which is not enough pressure to run my Honda generator efficiently. So I called the utility company and they upped the pressure at the regulator so I was getting 7 inches water column at the furthest point in my piping. I then had a sufficient amount of pressure that will run my generator properly. I installed the tri-fuel carb on my Honda and it runs well on all three fuels: gasoline, propane and natural gas. I personally think that between propane and natural gas that it runs better on propane due to the higher pressure of propane...11 inches water column. Hope this helps in some way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
P.S. I only use about a 10' hose from my natural gas piping hook-up to the generator. Once you start using long lengths of hose you run into pressure problems again. Also I would not run off your fireplace. Hook into your main gas piping and run it to where you need it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the minimum NG pressure required for your generator? My Generac requires 5" water minimum.

Miscellaneous elbows and fittings can easily consume 0.5" of pressure drop across them, plus another 2" across the meter itself at full load.

I have a large whole house generator 75 ft from the house, but I needed a 2" gas line to stay above 5" water pressure at the generator at full load.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I took a close look at the meter and there are no plugs to remove to tap the line, before or after the meter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ran a 1" pipe from my basement to my garage from the existing piping; about 8 feet but it's at the farthest point from the gas meter. Our utility serves us with 7 inches water column of pressure which equates to about 1/4 psi. The problem you will encounter is the fact that there is always a pressure drop from the meter along the piping and especially at the farthest point from the meter. So even though the meter delivers 7 inches water column by the time it got to the farthest point in my house it was down to 5 1/2 inches water column which is not enough pressure to run my Honda generator efficiently. So I called the utility company and they upped the pressure at the regulator so I was getting 7 inches water column at the furthest point in my piping. I then had a sufficient amount of pressure that will run my generator properly. I installed the tri-fuel carb on my Honda and it runs well on all three fuels: gasoline, propane and natural gas. I personally think that between propane and natural gas that it runs better on propane due to the higher pressure of propane...11 inches water column. Hope this helps in some way.
View Quote

very interesting, now I am learning something. Tell me, with the increased pressure, did you have to adjust settings on your heater, water heater, range, or anything else?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I took a close look at the meter and there are no plugs to remove to tap the line, before or after the meter.
View Quote

That's weird.  In my area, the gas company requires a plug just after the meter before it enters the house.  I have seen them use it for testing gas pressure.  

Not calling you a liar but it's unusual....at least compared to my area.  

Can you change the piping....allowing you to put a tap at the meter for a supply pipe?

What size generator are you planning to purchase?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's weird.  In my area, the gas company requires a plug just after the meter before it enters the house.  I have seen them use it for testing gas pressure.  

Can you change the piping....allowing you to put a tap at the meter for a supply pipe?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a 3 piece coupling and short nipple, so yes, that would be the plan. Shorter nipple --> tap --> 3 piece coupling.  8,750 Watt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have no plug at the meter for my 10-year old PA home, and instead I measured gas pressure at an unused outside BBQ tap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tell me, with the increased pressure, did you have to adjust settings on your heater, water heater, range, or anything else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me, with the increased pressure, did you have to adjust settings on your heater, water heater, range, or anything else?

I raised the gas pressure at my home from 7" of water to 10" with no noticeable affect on the furnace, water heater, stove, or gas fireplace.

However, you may not have this option.  Gas is delivered to my home at 25 psi (~700 inches of water!), and a regulator in front of the meter drops it down to 7-10" of water.  The homes in many neighborhoods, however, don't have individual regulators.  What you get is what you get, and the pressure may drop during periods of high seasonal demand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check your gas line size to the house and delivery pressure.  It might run but it can starve once it loads up.  I've had that problem before, had to upsize the line coming in from the main.
View Quote

Your average set of gas fireplace logs is rated for 30-50 KBTUH of continuous heat output.

Since 1 CF of natural gas contains 1.027 KBTUHs, that's 29-48 CF of continuous gas flow.

Average natural gas consumption of a generator is 20 CF per KWH of power being generated

So - Yeh, if your gas line is barely capable of feeding a set of  50 KBTU fireplace logs, it's gonna have trouble feeding a generator producing more than a couple KW of electrical power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top