Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
With a family ever increasing in size (second daughter on the way this Oct) I decided to add an additional layer of redundancy to our emergency heat preps. I already can run our NG furnace off of generator but if we want to be low profile or if the generator fails I decided I wanted to get a few kero heaters as a supplement (or even primary heat source). I've never used one before but I understand the principal. I've started to hunt Craigslist for deals that can be had while its still warm out I figure prices will go up once the temp goes down. This past weekend I bought a CV-2230 heater, spare wick, 2 siphon pumps, 3x one gallon jugs and one pre-ban 5 gallon jug for $40 which I thought was a good deal since the pre-ban can is worth at least $20 by itself. So I have a used heater that is cosmetically in outstanding shape (no dings or abuse marks) with an unknown number of hours on it. Obviously its dirty inside. The gun guy in me wants to totally disassemble and clean it till it shines but is that really necessary? At a minimum I thought I would remove the soot build up in the vent area. My next question is about the wick. How can I determine the condition or usability of the wick? Its obviously used but I have no idea how to tell how consumed the wick is or if I need to replace it. I have read that poorly maintained wicks can lead to CO emissions which I do NOT want since these will be used indoors. Additionally I plan to have a smoke/CO detector with spare batteries assigned to each heater "kit" i build up. Ideally I'd like two 20kbtu heaters for our main floors and an additional 10kbtu unit for our basement or if I need less than 20kbtu of heat since their output is really non adjustable. Can you guys with a similar setups give be some kind of idea of how many gallons of 1K I should have on hand? I already have 45 gallons of gas in my garage which is about as much as I am comfortable with so I don't want to go too crazy but on the other hand I don't want to have to hunt down kero in a blizzard either.

Any other input/tips/advice would be helpful.

-LTC-

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The soot around the top vent area says the last owner was nor getting the best burn. The wick may need replaced or adjusted.  

The wicks are pretty hard to use up. Pop the top of and see if the wick is just crusted with tar. Really the only thing that can ruin a wick is water or over cleaning.

If there is k1 in the heater I suggest running it until it burns out completely.  Then relight it and let it do it again with out adding more k1. Then you can very lightly brush off the ash on the wick and you are good to go.  

After you burn it out you can put some more k1 in and burn it to see if the wick is installed correctly.  There should be no more than an inch of flame around the flame spreader but at least some all the way around.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using kerosene for back up and supplemental heat since 98'.  Kerosene is a lot safer to store than gasoline.  I don't purchase mine from a big box store or retailer.  I go to my local grange and buy it in bulk.  They normally cut you a better deal if you buy 50 gallons or more.  The BTU vs square feet that many list is not really accurate in my opinion.  It has more to do with how well you are insulated and the temperature outside.  I would suggest picking a few days out of the year to shut down your conventional heat and actually run off kerosene to see what the actual usage will be in your house.  I have been able to shut off unused rooms and bring my square footage down to about 1100 square feet and have kept it warm while only running an 11K BTU heater.  When it is very cold, single digits or lower, I run a larger 20K one.  I like the 11K because of its ability to be used as an emergency stove.  It doesn't do well with cooking like a conventional stove, but I have made rice, soup, a big pot of beans, and mostly keep hot water going on it.  A cup of hot tea or hot chocolate can do wonders for your mood when the power is out.  While you are at it I would suggest picking up some Aladdin kerosene lamps.  They produce about the same light as a 60 watt bulb and run off of K1 too.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
my smaller (10K) Sengoku HMN 110 series radiant heater has a removable fuel tank if refilling while running is a problem...

comparison of light from a Feuerhand 1/2" wick (left) and US Dietz Little Wizard (5/8" wick) both burning 1K... the Feuerhand is approximately 2+x the cost of the Chinese Dietz lanterns, but has an exceptionally clear globe

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the replies!

So if I understand correctly from each of these replies I need to open it up and take a look at the wick first off and inspect for tar buildup and perhaps trim a little to keep it even and remove chunky burnt parts if any exist. If I understand correctly there is really no need to do any cleaning of the internal parts (as you would with a gun). Nobody has mentioned internal cleaning and it seems logical to me that it probably is unnecessary. Also just so I understand correctly the only way to really verify the wick is usable is to fire it up and observe the flame. I will be looking to keep the flame at about 1” and as close to perfectly even as I can. No flickering and no visible smoke or smell (after lighting). If I am unable to meet these ideal flame conditions after warmup I will replace the wick with the supplied spare.

As many of you surmised the previous owner did not strike me as someone who knew much about these heaters. He said he just used it in his detached workshop.

My house is roughly 3000 square feet with 1000 per floor and an unfinished basement (1000 sq feet in the basement) we are fairly new construction by a reputable builder and I’ve been satisfied with the insulation. Here in Nebraska we have a highly variable winter but it commonly is in the teens for extended periods. This past winter we got colder than usual with actual lows hitting -15 to -20. I only mention this because after reading the replies it looks like my three heater plan (two 23k and one 10k) might be overkill. Does it sound excessive to you? I still might get the three if for no other reason than to have a loaner for my parents or a neighbor. My design objective is a 1 week power outage with no fuel resupply at 0 degrees.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Do not trim the wick.  Just burn it out and gently brush it off. If you have a pinned wick you will ruin it by trimming. Burning the tar and gum off the wick is a monthly job in my house. I have spare heaters so it's nothing to run it down and then take it out side once it gets low and let it run out. Relight it and let it burn out again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Btw.

I have 8 k1 heaters. I find that one 23k heater downstairs and a 10k upstairs will heat the whole house nicely.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Can you guys with a similar setups give be some kind of idea of how many gallons of 1K I should have on hand?

View Quote
We keep 6 five gallon containers on hand. Last winter was our 3rd coldest on record, we used about 23 gallons. Our tower is the same model as yours and  we use it to some extent almost nightly.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We keep 6 five gallon containers on hand. Last winter was our 3rd coldest on record, we used about 23 gallons. Our tower is the same model as yours and  we use it to some extent almost nightly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Can you guys with a similar setups give be some kind of idea of how many gallons of 1K I should have on hand?

We have a toyotomi tower heater downstairs and a perfection heater upstairs. We use about 6 gallons a week just running in the evening and when the family wants extra warmth. We run the perfection no more than 2 hours a day.

I have well over 200 gallons reserve and I know it's not nearly enough to keep my house warm long term.

That reminds me that I need to start filling my k1 cans before it starts getting cold. My portable cans are empty!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of prices are y'all finding for K1 Kero?  I thought I would fill up some cans before winter and prices went .  I paid $4.699 for pump K1.  OUCH.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]
What is a good brand of kero heaters?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is a good brand of kero heaters?
View Quote

If you can find used Toyotomi heaters they are the best.  Some are under the Kerosun brand name.  I really have very little problems with any of my heaters.  I especially love my perfection heaters,  but they are not as safe from tip over and they are old technology. I still use them daily in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I appreciate the replies!

So if I understand correctly from each of these replies I need to open it up and take a look at the wick first off and inspect for tar buildup and perhaps trim a little to keep it even and remove chunky burnt parts if any exist. If I understand correctly there is really no need to do any cleaning of the internal parts (as you would with a gun). Nobody has mentioned internal cleaning and it seems logical to me that it probably is unnecessary. Also just so I understand correctly the only way to really verify the wick is usable is to fire it up and observe the flame. I will be looking to keep the flame at about 1” and as close to perfectly even as I can. No flickering and no visible smoke or smell (after lighting). If I am unable to meet these ideal flame conditions after warmup I will replace the wick with the supplied spare.

As many of you surmised the previous owner did not strike me as someone who knew much about these heaters. He said he just used it in his detached workshop.

My house is roughly 3000 square feet with 1000 per floor and an unfinished basement (1000 sq feet in the basement) we are fairly new construction by a reputable builder and I’ve been satisfied with the insulation. Here in Nebraska we have a highly variable winter but it commonly is in the teens for extended periods. This past winter we got colder than usual with actual lows hitting -15 to -20. I only mention this because after reading the replies it looks like my three heater plan (two 23k and one 10k) might be overkill. Does it sound excessive to you? I still might get the three if for no other reason than to have a loaner for my parents or a neighbor. My design objective is a 1 week power outage with no fuel resupply at 0 degrees.

Thanks again!
View Quote

You may want to remove the cabinet/shell to visually check the internals. I bought a used radiant heater had had been run in a woodshop for years. The owner sold it due to problems with soot and smoke while running. Turns out there was a 1-2 inch coating of fine sawdust covering all the internal parts, and that was why it wasn't running well. I cleaned it and it works good as new.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Update:

I bought another one. Just need one more and I am set.

After inspection I determined that the heater in the first post was used with diesel and NOT kerosene. This explains the soot in the chimney. The tank actually still had diesel in it and clearly did not smell of kero. My plan is to empty the tank, to a total clean out of the tank and the rest of the heater as needed and then replace the wick. I want a clean burn for indoor use and diesel is no good for that.

I also bought a second 10kbtu radiant heater that was supposedly new. It looked new on the outside but was clearly used once I got it home and looked at the burnt and sadly manged wick. I plan on also replacement of the wick on the 10kbtu heater and removing the old fuel.

I have less than $100 invested in the pair so all in all not too bad. I did score two pre-ban 5 gallon kero cans. I bought a Mr. Funnel for the fuel too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
New wicks are cheap. Buy a couple new ones.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok I've replaced the wick and after letting it soak in for an hour or so I lit it up. Started up great and burned nicely through the warmup. I was having a little trouble keeping the flame even at 1/2" all around though, in some areas it was large and in others it was considerably smaller. Any problem with that?

Here is the best I could get after about 20 minuets of warm up:

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok I've replaced the wick and after letting it soak in for an hour or so I lit it up. Started up great and burned nicely through the warmup. I was having a little trouble keeping the flame even at 1/2" all around though, in some areas it was large and in others it was considerably smaller. Any problem with that?

http://s8.postimg.org/54htrg151/20140910_223149_HDR_1.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/8sqb248mb/20140910_222502.jpg
View Quote

Looks right to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks right to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s8.postimg.org/54htrg151/20140910_223149_HDR_1.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/8sqb248mb/20140910_222502.jpg

Looks right to me.

Perfect!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top