Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:37:14 AM EDT
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I'm in the market for a decent flare pistol, problem is that the only ones that seem to be left are either:

1. Ludicrously overpriced
2. Complete Junk
3. Ludicrously overpriced completed junk

Doesn't have to be fancy, not picky on either it's a 26.5mm or 12gauge flare gun, just want something a bit better than the orange olin walmart special.

Ideally I'd like to pay no more than around $75 for it, and it HAS to have a trigger guard on it, so none of the really crude ones that are easily found on Google. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those GECO models.

Does anyone have a source that isn't easily found on Google. (Believe me, I looked.) Or failing that, does anyone have one that want to sell, or any advice or directions they could point me in?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a greco, it was overbuilt and if your gonna have one for say the 45lc conversion thats the one to have. But not for the price they are now. The whole survival prep crazy has them way over priced. And I think alot of it is felons buy them to then put a sub device and have a gun that one one has tracked. You can get a basic 12ga pump from cheaper. Ctd has pander pumps for 130 and its more useful
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Here ya go: www.unammo.com . Get one of their bowling ball mortars while you're at it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here ya go: www.unammo.com . Get one of their bowling ball mortars while you're at it.
View Quote

No trigger guards, so those are out. Bump in case anyone has any other suggestions.

Also, I dont really intend to use submunitions adapters with this thing...just flares.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Why does it need a trigger guard? You're not loading it until you fire it, right? It's not like you'd carry with a round in the pipe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why does it need a trigger guard? You're not loading it until you fire it, right? It's not like you'd carry with a round in the pipe.
View Quote

Mainly because I wanted to eliminate thst particular model from consideration without having to point out that I thought it looked like a piece of shit, and that most of the flare guns left are that particular model, for prices about 8x higher than I would pay for thst particular model. :)

I just wondered if anyone knew of any sources that I did not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If its just for flares why on earth would you want a 26.5 mm and not a far more common marine 12ga? If its just for flares give me the one that I can buy all the flares I want for a quater the cost of 26.5
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If its just for flares why on earth would you want a 26.5 mm and not a far more common marine 12ga? If its just for flares give me the one that I can buy all the flares I want for a quater the cost of 26.5
View Quote

I agree. Im open to 12ga. I just wanted something a bit more substantial than those orange plastic ones walmart sells I didn't know what was out there. Thats why I started the thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Look up west marine. But the reason they are plastic is so they dont rust shut at sea. But if its flare only then dont worry they will hold up if used for what they are designed for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Cant believe those Polish 26.5 guns are $80 now. I paid $20 for mine.
Get the 26.5 and a 12 gauge adapter. The Polish flare gun is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you get 12ga illumination flares?

That is pretty much the only reason I have ever wanted one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
They make some interesting sights for flare guns. Kinda cheap looking, but a neat idea nevertheless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLARE-GUN-SIGHT-HK-CZ-POLISH-/111434862431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f2090f5f
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
flea market by me had brand new marine version with expired flares (orange olan brand) for $5 and I picked up a few

flares stilled worked
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Olin makes a metal 25mm flare gun .
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#16]
3 to 4 months ago, I found a guy selling gecko 26.5 flare guns for $60 each (he is out of stock now). Bought 2 - turned around and sold em for $125 and $150 on gunbroker.
FYI - the Kennesaw Cannon 22LR insert took multiple hits to fire. The 410/45LC insert worked perfectly. Lots of recoil with the 410.
As these flare guns have no safety, there is no way I'd carry it with a round in the chamber.

Edit - no trigger guard but $50
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436351961
Better price than their website:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-polish-surplus-flare-gun-with-holster?a=1712054

One last link $44.95:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1432250.htm

If you want one get it now. Sportsman's Guide had the H&K 26.5 flare pistols back in the day for $30 each. Those days are long gone.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
3 to 4 months ago, I found a guy selling gecko 26.5 flare guns for $60 each (he is out of stock now). Bought 2 - turned around and sold em for $125 and $150 on gunbroker.
FYI - the Kennesaw Cannon 22LR insert took multiple hits to fire. The 410/45LC insert worked perfectly. Lots of recoil with the 410.
As these flare guns have no safety, there is no way I'd carry it with a round in the chamber.

Edit - no trigger guard but $50
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436351961
Better price than their website:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-polish-surplus-flare-gun-with-holster?a=1712054

One last link $44.95:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1432250.htm

If you want one get it now. Sportsman's Guide had the H&K 26.5 flare pistols back in the day for $30 each. Those days are long gone.

View Quote

Tell me about it. I ended up trading a bunch of Pmags and an old vltor stock for a p2a1 and .22 insert
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
american specialty ammo has 37mm to 12 ga adaptor if you wanna go super heavy duty
37mm launchers
adaptors
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Can someone explain flares to me. And no, I'm not trying to be an ass. But they have to land right? Over water sure they end up in the drink. But here if a burning flare hit the ground in my AO there is a huge probability of a massive fire. I'm wondering what you all would use them for. Although I can see the use for a road flare type for starting a fire or signaling. I just have a bad feeling about firing one into the air. Or am I way off?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Are all 26.5mm flares interchangeable?

I had a West German HK flaregun, and I see the Czech and Polish units are the same caliber.

The HK got stolen, but I still have a bunch of flares.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#22]
mizz

that's a legitimate concern.  I worked by Ft. Drum and the pyrotecnics do start grass fires on occasion.  Usually during training when it happened to our unit when I was in, we'd just stop the exercise for a few minutes and go stomp out the started brush fire before it got out of control.  Seemed to happen way more often with tracer MG ammo but even the smoke grenades started a few,  the small aerials less so as they normally were mostly burned out in the air if launched right.  There is always a risk.

Those japanese candle kites are another one that raised a few eyebrows.  

Any of the 12 gage orion ones seemed to burn out before hitting the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top