Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 1:21:16 PM EDT
The Big Boy 2000 to be specific.

Holy crap what a nice piece of gear. All metal construction, super comfy handle.

I just zipped through some seasoned cherry like it was nothing, the exact definition of letting the tool do the work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the best.  I keep a Pocketboy in a combo sheath with anvil pruners and a hori-hori knife.  I use that set up year round, home and field.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Holy crap what a nice piece of gear. All metal construction, super comfy handle.

I just zipped through some seasoned cherry like it was nothing, the exact definition of letting the tool do the work.
View Quote

Have you ever used a Bacho Laplander?  If so how does it compare... Bacho for a folding saw has been my go to for a year or so now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you ever used a Bacho Laplander?  If so how does it compare... Bacho for a folding saw has been my go to for a year or so now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a Bahco, but I do have a Corona and it blows that one right out of the water. The 14" blade makes for a much better stroke.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bob Dustrude makes a great Buck Saw that works well for hiking in as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPSsRZOxx4
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I put it on my amazon wish list back when it was first mentioned.

Now how long before it needs sharpened and who here thinks it will be possable to sharpen by the owner?

I have some bookmarks I need to read up on for sharpening hand saws and what not and am wondering if this would be similar.

My uncle has an ancient fiberglass extension pole with a saw on it and it is better than nothing but after reading about the silky stuff I know what I will roll quarters up for.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I put it on my amazon wish list back when it was first mentioned.

Now how long before it needs sharpened and who here thinks it will be possable to sharpen by the owner?

I have some bookmarks I need to read up on for sharpening hand saws and what not and am wondering if this would be similar.

My uncle has an ancient fiberglass extension pole with a saw on it and it is better than nothing but after reading about the silky stuff I know what I will roll quarters up for.
View Quote

They sell a special file for their saws I believe, but the replacement blades are like $30.

No idea how long it will last, but I am not a professional, so I imagine for my limited use it should hold up for some time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Silky saws daily and they are hands down the best hand saws made. As for sharpening them you can but you will never get them factory sharp. When new its scary how fast they cut. I can normally get about 2 months of daily use out of blade so for most homeowner types that would translate into a couple of years of occasional use. The model I like the most and find to be the best size (both TPI and blade length) is the Zubat, folding saws lack blade length to be able to actually cut larger diameter material.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Took it out for a two night trip this weekend.

One guy said he is going to order one ASAP and my dad wants one to put on his harness for limbing out trees, incase a bar gets pinched (arborist) The thing did fantastic for processing dead fall into firewood. It blew the axe right out of the water. I went through a piece of 12" hemlock in minutes, nice clean cut, no waste and not a terrible amount of expended energy compared to an axe or a bow saw.

For the 0.9 lbs it weighs I don't think I will be without it in the woods from now on. My axe will stay at home for all but the worst winter conditions.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use Silky saws daily and they are hands down the best hand saws made. As for sharpening them you can but you will never get them factory sharp. When new its scary how fast they cut. I can normally get about 2 months of daily use out of blade so for most homeowner types that would translate into a couple of years of occasional use. The model I like the most and find to be the best size (both TPI and blade length) is the Zubat, folding saws lack blade length to be able to actually cut larger diameter material.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0BUVkLxrq2pQbjTIsbGdx98CCt4rNGPQptFB-n7KYElCnxH4Q

View Quote

The Big Boy actually has a 14" blade, so it is basically the same size as the zubat, and the handle is nice for getting two hands on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Large teeth or extra large teeth for field cutting mostly pine?
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Large teeth or extra large teeth for field cutting mostly pine?
View Quote

XL, with a curved blade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top