Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 12:21:23 PM EDT
Picked up an Aladdin J380 kero heater at a garage sale last weekend for $20. It is clean and looks almost like new so here's the problem. Somebody filled it with diesel I think (its red and smells like diesel). I drained most of it out but I think I'm going to need a new wick. Think it takes a #6A from my internet searches.
How do I get the rest of the diesel out of the tank? Pout a cup of kero in slosh it around and repeat?
Is it worth messing with this thing?
BTW it is rated at 7700BTU, was thinking it might make a nice extra heater to keep around.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Kerosene and Diesel are essentially the same thing.  

Empty the tank, and then rinse with kerosene
Add some kerosene, burn kerosene until diesel consumed.

All done :)
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Burn the fuel that's in the heater now with the old wick.  Do it outside, it will be smoky, because they dye collects at the end of the wick and inhibits the flame.

Put some kero in, slosh around, burn it.  Repeat.  maybe again if you are paranoid.

THEN change the wick.  Or trim it.

Go to Miles Stair's Wick Shoppe - he's forgotten more about kerosene appliances than the Arf collective knows in total.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan.
It sure is smokey, that's how I realized it was full of diesel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Another quick question.
I have removed the top housing/case/shroud can I just put the round glass and metal thing back on it to burn it empty? Or should I reassemble?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
All it really needs is the glass chimney thing for a clean burn, the rest is cosmetic and to keep the kids and pets out of the hot parts
ETA: http://www.milesstair.com

All thing kerosine powered

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Really jealous right now!

Don't be surprised if the wick is installed incorrectly. It should burn dyed k1 just fine. If it smokes the wick might not be at the right height our it just badly needs to be burned out. Is it a fiberglass wick you can burn until the fuel tuns out?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't be surprised if the wick is installed incorrectly. It should burn dyed k1 just fine. If it smokes the wick might not be at the right height our it just badly needs to be burned out. Is it a fiberglass wick you can burn until the fuel tuns out?
View Quote

Will not burn at all. It lights and the flame almost goes around the whole circle, then it just dies out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Will not burn at all. It lights and the flame almost goes around the whole circle, then it just dies out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wick must be badly plugged or has water in it. Not sure.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Per Miles the dye in kero doesn't burn cleanly and leaves just a bit of residue at the end of the wick.  It can be brushed off if the buildup is light, but if allowed to build up the wick needs to be trimmed.

That being said, I'm not sure the dye is the OP's problem.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually got it to burn last night, but not very well. I think the wick is shot. I'm looking for one locally but will probably need to order online.
While it was burning last night the flame never got more than maybe 2" high.
I need to get a picture up of it burning. I'm going to keep tinkering and will keep progress posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top