BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 12:49:35 PM EDT
I ordered one, been on my mind for awhile:

Eureka Solitare
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems a little heavy for a bivy- 2# heavier than my Big Agnes solo tent that has enough room to sit upright.  FlyCreek UL1

But the price is great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a bad price, but quite heavy for what it is IMO. I thought about getting one a few months ago just because it was cheap but then I saw one setup and realized that would be damn difficult to get into and there's no way you can sit up. I'm a budget-minded tent guy, but I'd prefer a tarp over the solitaire, personally. My $.02.

1P tent 3lb 6oz, $110-20%
http://www.rei.com/product/868728/alps-mountaineering-mystique-10-tent-special-buy#specsTab

1P tent 2lb 14oz, $170-20%
http://www.rei.com/product/864796/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent-special-buy#specsTab

1P tent 2lb 2oz, $220-20%
http://www.rei.com/product/862421/rei-quarter-dome-1-tent#specsTab

Classic weight vs $$$
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
There are way better tents than this, I have many. But I figured what the shit for $68. I'm going to get some aluminum poles or maybe carbon fiber from here. Might be able to shave half a pound or more off the weight.  This tent packs small. I have an OR Alpine bivy and this will be more comfortable, about the same pack size and only a little heavier for only 33% of the cost.

poles
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a eureka spitfire 2, which is about a poind more, but quite a bit larger as it is a two man tent.

The only downside is that it is not free standing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesomely cheap. If I'm not sharing a tent I'm in my Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy because it packs up so small. But I can see this being a great buy for people who don't have something already, and who don't mind the extra weight and space.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are way better tents than this, I have many. But I figured what the shit for $68. I'm going to get some aluminum poles or maybe carbon fiber from here. Might be able to shave half a pound or more off the weight.  This tent packs small. I have an OR Alpine bivy and this will be more comfortable, about the same pack size and only a little heavier for only 33% of the cost.

poles
View Quote

Very tempting for the price.  Might be worth it adding the poles in, if it's only about .5 lbs more.  I haven't done any backpacking for 20 years, so I'm a little rusty.  3 lbs is nothing compared to the tents we carried back then, but I'm sure being 20 years older doesn't help.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're married to the idea of a bivy, MSR makes one that only 1# :  MSR Bivy

They also have a Pro-Pricing Program that will help a lot with the price if you qualify.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a refurbished one last year for $25. It's a nice little tent. If you have a small pack, you can fit it in the tent with you, but don't expect it to be roomy. If you roll back the rain fly, it is a great little summer tent, as the actual top is mostly just mosquito netting. I'm a big guy, but I find it easy to get into it. You just crawl in feet first. Would I want to stay in it for a week? No. The lack of room eventually gets to you(the inability to sit up eventually gets annoying if you stay in too long). I set it up for a weekend trip, it rained the entire first day. I went stir crazy after about 7 hours in it. However, just for a place to sleep? It's great. Are there better tents out there? Sure, but for the price I paid I can't complain.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this project is coming together nicely. Tent came on Saturday and I weighed it all out. Tent and fly weigh 1.9 pounds, not bad. Stakes are steel and one large plastic one and weight a whopping 9.5 ounces, poles are fiberglass and weigh 8 ounces and the stuff sacks weigh 2 ounces. I was hoping I could get it to 2 and a half pounds, but that's going to be a stretch. I think it will wind up about 2 pounds 8 oz which isn't bad at all. I'm another $50 into the Nanolight poles (all sections 13" so I can get a smaller pack size) and I'll be about $30 into the mix of Easton tube stakes and MSR Mini Ground Hawgs. I will post some in use pics when the stuff gets here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#10]
That tent would work well for motorcycle camping.  

Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a bad tent. I had one for my son since he hasn't seen the light and joined the hammock world yet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was hoping I could get it to 2 and a half pounds, but that's going to be a stretch. I think it will wind up about 2 pounds 8 oz which isn't bad at all.
View Quote

Did I forget how weights work or did you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was hoping I could get it to 2 and a half pounds, but that's going to be a stretch. I think it will wind up about 2 pounds 8 oz which isn't bad at all.

It weighs about 3.5 lbs with everything in the bag, I'm shooting for 2.5...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had one for years.  They are good tents, they are a little difficult  to setup, if you don't stretch them they will sag under heavy wind/rain.  Oh, don't think your going to sit up in it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His point is 2.5lb = 2lb 8oz. 16oz=1lb
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, then there's that.. I'm only retarded sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top