Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 8:57:11 PM EDT
Hey folks.  I don't hop down here to the gear forum much to hang out, though I do lurk a bit, so I just wanted to say Hi.  That and I thought I'd use this thread as a place keeper for my foray into DIY gear.  I bought a sewing machine last fall with the intent on using it to build some gear.  Well, I'm just now getting around to firing it up.  I was inspired by my sister's boyfriend the last time we went backpacking.  My tent was crappy (I was sharing it with my 9 year old son, so it was woefully small), and he slept so good he slept in in his Hammock.  I used a coupon from Joanne's to get some 1.8oz ripstop nylon on the cheap, some heavy duty outdoor thread and some pins.

I was inspired by THIS FIXED LINK so that's the design I'll be trying this time out.  This video shows the whip stitch style ends with double rolled side seams, though somewhere I have seen the type where you loop some cord through the rolled edge and do it that way.  I may try each end a different way.  We'll see.  

Also on the docket are some tree hugger straps, a mosquito net, small sub-load stuff sacks for the hammock and generic ones for my pack, and a rain fly.  I think the sewing time, granted this isn't all that complicated, will give me some confidence for the next step.  I haven't sewed anything since High-school (I did make a dress for my wife, but that was 20 years, 2 kids, and four careers ago).  

Anyone have experience with this type of construction?  Any better designs out there?

I'll update this with pictures as I get this completed.

jim

EDITED with a fixed link

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
As a worthless DIY'er I can't help you personally, but over at hammockforums.net there is a DIY forum with lots different and apparently very easy to make designs as well as a whole group of very nice people who are always happy to help.  Worth checking out, especially if you hit a snag.  Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll second going to hammockforums.net.  They are great people, very helpful, much like here I have found.  I don't have any pointers on the diy.

I use a Warbonnet XLC hammock, it is so nice, and so much better than sleeping on the ground.  In fact I just got done converting a sleeping bag to an under quilt, going to try it out this weekend.

One thing I will say, after having the footbox and shelf on the Warbonnet, it would be hard to go back to a regular hammock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the nod in that direction.  You know how it can be, I generally only allow myself time to get to a few different places, so This place, Reddit and my Inbox see the most of my time.  I'll check in there atleast for the duration of my builds.   Thanks again for the tip.  I bought some Bobbins last night.  Apparently you need them to sew.  Who knew?  

jim
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The link comes up to a close up magician....

Anyway, since I can't tell what exactly you're looking for, my recommendation is keep an eye out for one of the Woot hammock deals. Pick one up for the $20 or so. It will give you a baseline to decide certain features that you may want to add or discard. For example, Butt In A Sling hammocks offer their "knotty mod" that it a surprisingly beneficial comfort mod. You may want a shelf like Warbonnet, etc.

As far as sewing, there's nothing hammock wise that will really require any type of skill so have at it! The hardest thing about DIY hammock-related stuff is trying to sew silnylon because it's so slippery.

I'd recommend you keep your tarp separate from your hammock/suspension, and recommend you keep both in bishop bags/speed sacks. Sewing your own of those will be more complicated than a couple hems in some ripstop. And really a skill you should pick up, even more so than the basic sewing skills (let's be honest there's not much skill involved if you're limiting yourself to hammock and tarp making) would be to splice rope. Amsteel for making your own whoopies and continuous loops is good, and gets the idea in your head. From there you can branch out to 3-strand and double braid, etc, for many more applications. If you're feeling a little saucy you can sew your own tree straps. Just remember that a fid length is 21 times the diameter, and bar tacks are your friends.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, bad link.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Any updates???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top