Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 7:33:47 PM EDT
Help a newbie out with the best source of info, as well as where to obtain the hardware?

We run the full range; adults, toddlers, and newborns...
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno anything about masks for kids.  Not my area

However, what activities are you expecting to be doing in the masks?  How long do you plan on wearing them at a time?  Does anyone in your group have any sort of breathing problems of ANY kind?  Do you want to be able to shoot accurately with the mask on?

General rules of thumb:
Scott and MSA make very good masks that are comfortable, durable, and easy to maintain.  They are designed to be worked in and maintain a good seal for hazmat workers and firefighters.  They suck if you are looking to do any sort of tactical activities though because there is no way to get a decent cheek weld on a rifle wearing one.  There are ways around this but it gets complicated and expensive.

Avon masks, and American military surplus M-4X series masks are better "tactical" masks.

Be sure you get hoods, suits, and gloves to complete your CBRN ensemble as most agents and hazardous chemicals can be absorbed through skin contact.  No mask seals 100% at all times.  The hood keeps gross contaminates off your nugget and helps lessen vapor exposures when you break the seal during strenuous activities.

Powered respirators are a viable alternative for folks with mild breathing problems.  They are expensive and battery dependent.  If you have severe breathing health problems don't bother.  You'll just die quicker.

Get fit tested.  A lot of sales reps for companies that sell respirators will do fit testing for free if you are buying the masks from them.  I know Fischer Scientific used to do this.

Practice donning and clearing your mask and gear.

Practice wearing it for hours at a time.

Practice setting up a decontamination station and deconning each other and all your gear.

Educate yourself on common Industrial Extremely Hazardous Substances that are in your A.O.  Check out the EPA's CEPPO website and see if you can find a list of Risk Management Plan submitting facilities in your area.  Also Check here:  http://rtknet.org/ for info.

Educate yourself on the effects and symptoms of common CBRN agents and attack methods.  With all the shit going on in Syria and Libya it would not shock me in the least if the US was subjected to a CW terrorist attack by some muslim extremists refugees from those areas.

Oh and use the search feature  this topic comes up about twice a week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the threats you anticipate needing protection from?

Any reasonable industrial safety supply store will have a wide selection of respirators.
Example:
Northern Safety
I like the Scott Safety Promask as far as fit, comfort, sealing, visibility etc.  The Promask 40 has a single 40mm threaded port or the model 25 there has dual bayonet mount filters.  The Scott M95 40mm filter is excellent.

MSA also has some good masks.

For children or toddlers you'll need to look at more survival oriented vendors.

Disabuse yourself of the term "gas mask" and you'll get closer to current functional respiratory protection and away from old military surplus junk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks so much, guys...

Concerned about a terrorist attack, as I live and work in a major city that is a prime terrorist target.  Had not considered tactical functions; just a bug out / bug in strategy, but more that you bring it up, it would be useful for shtf as well.

One adult has mild to moderate asthma.

I was not aware that there was so much to know...will take these replies and learn a lot more.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If your willing to talk on the phone I  can point you in the right direction.....IM me and I can give you a ton of info.....to long to type it all out
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
While a some people don't think a protective mask is really needed, I think you are better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

A good mask can provide protection on all three NBC threats (Nuclear (prevents inhalation of fall out particles), Biological, and of course Chemical weapons / spills.

Be aware that a protective mask doesn't supply oxygen, so if you are in an area toxic due to oxygen deprivation / displacement (like an ammounia spill) - Houston had a big spill decades ago of a tanker truck off a highway overpass.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Your local National Guard will issue you one.  Just swing by the closest armory, you'll have to fill out some paperwork & sign your name a lot.  We'll actually pay you to practice w/ it!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They need a powered air purifying system.

I was not aware that there was so much to know.

It's a lot more than that really.
Concerned about a terrorist attack, as I live and work in a major city that is a prime terrorist target.

Respiratory protection is only part of what you would need for chemical warfare.  You need complete coverage head to toe.  Suit up, evacuate from the contaminated area, decon.

Your chances of encountering some kind of industrial chemical spill are about 10,000 times greater than a terrorist attack.

Tons upon thousands of tons of toxic chemicals like chlorine or ammonia are likely all around you.  Reasonable protection from many of those is quite a bit simpler than planning to deal with a large scale true chemical weapons attack.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Scott AV-3000

This what I use for work.  It's completely modular and easy to maintain.  The mesh harness doesn't become a torture device after wearing it like the standard strap type harnesses can.  You can get a PAPR, remote line, or SCBA kit for the face piece too.  The only downside is It doesn't come standard to accept 40mm canister filters.  They may make an adapter but I haven't looked.

http://rtknet.org/ is one of those public watchdog sites run by crunchy granola vegan types.  They do a good job of organizing and listing what kinds of HAZMAT is in your area.  The government used to list it on their sites in a bygone era.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
placebo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
placebo.
View Quote

For use in defending against modern chemical weapons, I'd agree with you.

However, their usefulness in filtering biological or radialogical contaminants in particulates (solid or vapor) are valid.

ETA: C2A1 filtration technical data

If you'll notice, you'll last 15-60 minutes max regarding most chemical agents. It won't even protect you from ammonia-based agents either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course, the placebo comment was meant for most people for most circumstances.

For those properly trained, fitted, and with adequate facilities, certainly a mask can be useful. But most simply don't fully understand the entire concept of NBC, and how to properly use said equipment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Researching this and figuring out if a common dust mask from home depot will work vs. needing a full face mask vs. something that will provide oxygen is a big education.

I am still learning and don't pretend to understand all the possible options out there.

And by common dust mask I am talking the disposable dust mask without full face coverage.

If you have a specific need to focus on, someone can answer with a specific answer.

But I am working on this at levels.

A dust mask and some dust suits and what not for working on that nasty fiberglass insulation are my first step, and they are tools that might be useful in some instances.

I am a long way to having a setup and knowledge where I can say a real gas mask, area to decontaminate, more serious cover suit of some sort, and whatever else might be needed would actually be something where I can articulate a situation that I might need that stuff and would have that stuff and be able to use it in the proper manner.

To some extent this could wind up a sticky or something not allowed to roll over to archives if someone is willing to educate the masses.

I honestly can't recall the last time someone truly broke down everything.

My main concern when in a city is a big bomb of some sort that puts a ton of nasty dust and debris in the air.  I would want sealed eye protection at this point, a common dust mask from home depot, and I would be at the mercy of the air filter on my car for how far I could go before it plugged up.

One thing I always recall from mt. st. helens blowing up is that vehicle's air filters got choked with that dust/ash whatever.

I don't expect to have that specific problem plug my air filter, but a big bomb putting a lot of nasty stuff in the air is going to cause me to want to seal up my vehicle and leave the area as quickly as possible.

Anyway, just my quick thought on this and yes I am calling this a tag since I always need to learn more on this since it is a weak point on my knowledge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top