Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2010 2:54:26 PM EDT
Anyone seen this? A Chinese gentleman named Wan Rode his tiny Honda Ruckus Moped across America. Far out!

It shows lots of pics of his gear and what he eats, etc.

The thread linked shows his trek step by step. It probably takes a couple hours or more to go through all the pics and stories of his adventure. I thought it would be good reading and entertainment for the survival forum. After reading, there is no doubt without help from his fellow man he would have never made it.

Enjoy : )

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I missed out on one that was mint shape, had 100miles on it but sat for a couple years. I played the wait game too long on that one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of pages but here is the best.

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16406

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, They only go about 35 mph. I was thinking to bore out the cylinder. That will get you an extra 10 mph at the cost of about $1,500. Sounds prohibitive to me. No doubt that fastest you would want to go on that anyways is about 45 mph I would think.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an older honda scooter and scoots are cool. In a bug out situation, I will be throwing it in the back of the F150 for sure. Mine does about 32mph with me on it (195lb) or about 35 with my teen boys (165). It gets about 75mpg so is pretty darned efficient way to get around long as you are not in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I miss my Ruckus.  I had 2 of them, 1st one came to an abrupt end when a woman in a Toyota 4 Runner thought an illegal u-turn was a great idea while being on the phone.  2nd one was sold so I could by a big boy motorcycle and I still ended up with a Harley instead of the BMW I wanted.  Great little scooters.  I somewhere have a different clutch set up for a ruckus that increased speed don't remember by how much though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I can really see the utility in having something like that for SHTF. The only problem is that a power assisted bicycle has the same top speed, but they get 200mpg, don't require a registration, tax, insurance, helmet, can be ridden on the road or sidewalk etc. in my state. I rode a friend's Ruckus a few years ago and found it to be adequate for riding around the 'hood but out on major surface streets would be a little taxing on a guy. For me, I'd rather have something that doesn't require any upkeep as far as paperwork goes so you always have a legal set of wheels if the economy goes bad. I can see a time where gas becomes expensive to the point nobody can afford it, but scavenging in the shed of an abandoned house across the street might find enough gas to run your 4 stroke weed whacker powered bicycle for 2 or 3 weeks of scavenging sorties and dumpster diving.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I can really see the utility in having something like that for SHTF. The only problem is that a power assisted bicycle has the same top speed, but they get 200mpg, don't require a registration, tax, insurance, helmet, can be ridden on the road or sidewalk etc. in my state. I rode a friend's Ruckus a few years ago and found it to be adequate for riding around the 'hood but out on major surface streets would be a little taxing on a guy. For me, I'd rather have something that doesn't require any upkeep as far as paperwork goes so you always have a legal set of wheels if the economy goes bad. I can see a time where gas becomes expensive to the point nobody can afford it, but scavenging in the shed of an abandoned house across the street might find enough gas to run your 4 stroke weed whacker powered bicycle for 2 or 3 weeks of scavenging sorties and dumpster diving.

Its a 49cc. No license needed in most states.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
This might be the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time.

It's also very humbling. Some random dude who barely speaks engrish has the nuts to throw as much crap as he can on a 49cc scooter and tool around the United States drinking beer, camping and crashing on couches? How friggen sweet is that?

It's something he will always remember.

I gotz to step my game up!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
One day I met a kids from India who was riding his 250cc motorcycle across the USA on Route 66.  Each time he stopped for fuel or food he asked a person to sign the fuel tank - nice momento!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I followed (on the net) a guy that rode a DR 250 across USA..

It seems tires are the big factor, but he did do some off roading, I think his goal was to never touch the Hi-Way, but there were parts he had no choice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but there is registration and maybe insurance.

In MI, there is a 3 year registration that is cheap, but I believe you still have to insure the bike. With  a power assisted bicycle you don't have to do anything but put gas in it and ride wherever you want to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In MI, there is a 3 year registration that is cheap, but I believe you still have to insure the bike. With  a power assisted bicycle you don't have to do anything but put gas in it and ride wherever you want to.
In CO you have to pay a $10 registration fee that is good for 3 years. That's it. No insurance or any other fees. Just $3 in gas a week.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The picture of the crab in the pot made me realize that a Chinese guy may have a big advantage in this kind of adventure, or even a SHTF situation.

A LOT MORE stuff you can just catch anywhere is going to be regular market fare for them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone seen this? A Chinese gentleman named Wan
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

How come he writes in Korean?

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How come he writes in Korean?

Well maybe he is Korean. Sorry. I thought Wan was a Chinese name. I'm not up as I should be on my asian culture

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

MO doesn't require insurance or registration for anything under 49cc.

Grove
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is some pics of everything he is carrying from the first half of his trip.

extra fuel 1.25gal, duck tape, rope, bike lock,
alphabet sticker, hammer,

zip tight(from Tuseday club), toilet paper, moist towelettes, pain
relieving

spray, insect block lotion, suncream, toilet set, chargers, clipper,
funnel,  

emergency pump(If I have no gasoline stop a car and ask to give some

gas), water glasses, maps, lonely planet(travel guide book), some books,

diary, ruckus owners manual, warranty, MP3, flash, multi tool, knife,

spoon set, lighter, international drivers license, passport, first aid
kit,

wallet, bike cover, rain gear

noddles, spams, pepper sauce, kimchi, ketchup,
oil, chilli powder, curry,

rice, ham, onion, salt, pepper, stove, pot cleaner, pans, zip lock,
water

bottles

towels, 2short pants , 2jeans, 5T-sirts,
2jackets, paddind jumper,

underwears, socks slippers, book bag, cross bag, 3sacks, big yellow back

sleeping bag, tent, matt, 4straps, camera, tri pod, compass, helmet,

gloves

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
thats alot of gear to be packing on a scooter. I am officially impressed! How fun would it be to get a group of folks and spend a month or so doing that!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In CO you have to pay a $10 registration fee that is good for 3 years. That's it. No insurance or any other fees. Just $3 in gas a week.

No insurance on mopeds under 50ccs in Michigan, no plates, no helmet, just a 3 year sticker. And of course what some guys are doing are throwing a 100-150cc Lifan engine on their Ruckus' so you have more power but still under a moped license. Not exactly kosher but good alternative transportation.

I did happen to read about Wan's ride across the US. Very interesting reading. Just shows you what you could do if you had to bug out on the cheap.

I rode my 30 year old Honda Trail 90 up and back to my BOL one time. 179 miles one way. Top speed about 35 mph and all back roads. Is a licensed motorcycle however.

And here is Wan's Ruckus loaded up....

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Do they sale Honda Ruckus in the states.
So does anyone know how many miles per gal this bike gets?
What is the top speed?
What speed did he average?
One long trip! Most of been fun!

PITA45
found more pictures:
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like he has about 2/3  the gear some survival forum members have...

Imagine carrying all that without your moped.  lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I get about 92-97mpg on mine.  Its a 2008.... top speed on flat ground of about 40.5mph.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm impressed. Talk about an experience and an adventure.

Things like this make me regret "wasting" my youth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
There are a lot of guys who ride ridiculous distances on mopeds and small motorcycles. These guys go for weeks and sometime months at a time and often boondock along the roads.  They really know how to bug out.  Go to www.adventurerider.com for some amazing stories.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I know you must title and insure it, but I like the little 250cc Honda Rebel.
I get @ 70mgp from mine, and they're not much over $2,000 for a really nice used one.
My only real issue, is that once I hit @ 60mph, I'm REALLY wanting another gear.

Across the U.S. on a Ruckus?
I wouldn't want to, but it looks like he had a blast doing it, so good for him!

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are a lot of guys who ride ridiculous distances on mopeds and small motorcycles. These guys go for weeks and sometime months at a time and often boondock along the roads.  They really know how to bug out.  Go to www.adventurerider.com for some amazing stories.

I think you mean ADVrider
direct to forums:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/

I would like to get a rukus to mess around on and let the wife ride... but It probably wouldn't get much use over my DR650 and XL250R...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Valelie was his Angel. LOL!

( I think it was supposed to be Valerie)
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I read all couple of hundred posts about his circular trip around the U.S. including his quick trip to Hawaii.

While he experienced some awesome stuff, I am convinced of his total lack of respect for the law, private property and business agreements.

He refers to his camping areas as "hiding" places because he is either hiding from the police or the private citizens whose property he is trespassing on.

His actions left me unimpressed by his actual trip.

-V
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Not to split hairs, but it's a scooter, not a moped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This might be the coolest thing I've seen in a long damn time.

It's also very humbling. Some random dude who barely speaks engrish has the nuts to throw as much crap as he can on a 49cc scooter and tool around the United States drinking beer, camping and crashing on couches? How friggen sweet is that?

It's something he will always remember.

I gotz to step my game up!

I think it's pretty interesting as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm impressed. Talk about an experience and an adventure.

Things like this make me regret "wasting" my youth.

ha.  Go for it after you retire :P
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I read all couple of hundred posts about his circular trip around the U.S. including his quick trip to Hawaii.

While he experienced some awesome stuff, I am convinced of his total lack of respect for the law, private property and business agreements.

He refers to his camping areas as "hiding" places because he is either hiding from the police or the private citizens whose property he is trespassing on.

His actions left me unimpressed by his actual trip.

-V

Uh,...what?  Give us an example because I don't recall an instance of what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Few years back I was working at a power sports dealership, Northern Power Sports, here in Fairbanks Alaska.  While I was there I had an older gentlemen come in looking for tire for his Vino  I found him the tires we had and he asked if we could swap them out for him as well.  Well while he was waiting I got to talking to him and he had rode the thing all the way from Orlando Florida!!!!!!  Blew my mind.. I mean its only 4,500 miles...
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Everyone who has ever turned a wheel on a bike in anger needs to ride cross country at least once. For me, the most memorable parts were staying in little podunk towns where everyone would come into town on a Friday or Saturday night. "Town" consisted of a store, post office, gas station, and a bar/inn. Everyone wants to know about you, where you are from, where you are going.. You meet a lot of good people that way.

Just don't do it on a sport bike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top