Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
So once the generators are synced the resistance of the generator head to changes in engine speed will keep the generators synced?  Or are we better off w/ a fancy inverter & the custom open source fuel injector system w/ twin computer control?
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 8:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingMajor] [#2]
Nevermind. I found my answer on page 1. Such a doofus.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
So once the generators are synced the resistance of the generator head to changes in engine speed will keep the generators synced?
View Quote

Yep, up to a certain point.

If the timing of the AC waveform being produced by one generator starts to slightly lead or lag the timing of the other generator, it creates an additional mechanical load on both generators that tends to pull them back into synchronization.

However, if the timing changes faster than either generator's engine can adjust speed to compensate for the extra mechanical load, it can cause them to lose synchronization entirely - at which point they "fight" each other until something blows.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:43:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_A] [#4]

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#6]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
are we really debating how to sync multiple 90.00 chicom genrators... rotflmao.
View Quote

If you read more closely, I think you will conclude we're educating each other and exposing and explaining, to some folks --new concepts.

No one knowledgeable has suggested ---in a practical sense, syncing 2 $90 gennies, although it would be an experiment that could result in much knowledge gained to someone who has the resources and motivation to try.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
My well pump takes 30A @ 220V plus the huge starting surge. While I can run everything else on a much smaller single unit, I would need to parallel another 6500W unit to handle that load. Learning to sync gennys via bulb test is a good skill to learn and practice if your are going to have to do it for real. Learning on cheap low HP units (so a slightly out of sync switch over won't cause a big fight) is a very practical plan.

To feed my house I kill the well pump breaker at the meter box, then on inside panel I kill the kitchen appliances and furnace blower ( I have both a built in mega microwave and a low power counter top one I use on the genny)

I have a propane wall heater that can provide about 85% of the needed heat (it doesn't quite make it to the far corners of the building). Sticking with bottled water, and I keep a huge amount on hand for flushing, dishes etc. I can keep the frige, internet and a few PC's, TV, lights running on a 4.5Kw genny at about 70% load. Kill TV and extra PC's I can run the furnace blower.

A few times when lazy I have run the internet, 2 laptops, and a few CFL's on the HF baby blue and not bothered with the "Medium" genny. I keep a full 5 gal of pre-mix in the shop to feed the genny, weed wackers and a few other misc 2-stroke toys.

I will be looking into that Champion 1400/1800 unit. I have been lucky in that while the power drops out here rather often its rarely out more than 12hrs at a time and worse case was about 2 days. The 4.5Kw would eat up my stock in a week (never mind there is 400gal in the motorhome tanks... people forget those suckers make great fuel trucks ) I was told there was a time when the power was out 11 days. Ideally I'd love to be prepped for 30 days.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Well, we've already extended a thread on 90.00 chicom generators to 37 pages, so....
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#9]
Originally Posted By R2point0:

Well, we've already extended a thread on 90.00 chicom generators to 37 pages, so....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:

R2point0 does have a very good point there....37 pages and 4 years and two months, all without a STICKY; must be approaching some kind of record?

Posted: 1/31/2010!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#10]
Here's mine, got it yesterday and have run it 5 hours so far.

I changed the plug, locktited some screws, used my own foam air filter which fits better than the tiny loose foam filter it came with...

I haven't used any load more than 500 watts yet.

The only problem I've encountered is the spark plug coil contact getting stuck on the plug.

If you need spares, amazon and ebay have parts for the ET650 which is the Yamaha generator this one is cloned from.

I'm liking it a lot for the money. I don't know why I bought it other than it was so cheap I couldn't help myself.

I already have 2 other new gen sets, but I can't carry them around.

Loose foam filter with big gaps...

Edit:
After 2 days, and 6 hours of break in, I noticed a 2 inch diameter oil spot on my patio: there is blow by at the spark plug interface with the head. The machining there shows chatter and galling. It's not flat, and leaks even with the plug torqued down. So I took it back and exchanged it for a new one, which in 4.5 hours works just as well, starting after 3 pulls.

So I still like it but quality is hit or miss. Thankfully the second one seems great.

The head is machined much better and is flush, even though it was serial numbered only 34 further down the line.

It has more stickers on it. No oil at the spark plug, which I didn't bother to change.
Cylinder head of first Generator:

New generator's cylinder head:

Oil spot after last hour of running first generator:

New Generator with more warning stickers...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I added the Briggs & Stratton pancake gas filter to mine, a NGK spark plug, ran it at 40:1 for 14 hours and have called it a day, for now.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By faldoc:
I already have 2 other new gen sets, but I can't carry them around.
View Quote

Yeh, this is your quintessential EDC Generator.

All it needs is a pocket clip and a holster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
I added the Briggs & Stratton pancake gas filter to mine, a NGK spark plug, ran it at 40:1 for 14 hours and have called it a day, for now.

Chris
View Quote

do you happen to have hotlinks?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
B&S #298090 fuel filter on ebay

According to internet lore, the white version uses mesh that's too fine to feed reliably without a fuel pump - which is why the red version is recommended instead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#15]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
B&S #298090 fuel filter on ebay

According to internet lore, the white version uses mesh that's too fine to feed reliably without a fuel pump - which is why the red version is recommended instead.
View Quote

Yes...?
how often do they need to be replaced? Why am I seeing 10 packs?

NGK Spark plug?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisGarrett] [#16]
FIXED, sorry about that!  Good groups, though, right?

HF 900w generator mods tried once again!

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#17]
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
HF 900w generator mods

Chris
View Quote

'chut it?

Ain't bad.  Better than I could do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I am in to parallel two units, but I won't be able to do it until summer's end.

I already have one unit from the Ethanol/Charcoal lighter fluid thread that backbencher talked about, so if we start a fund going for a second unit and some gas I am game when my days get longer.

O-scope and meters already are on hand so no other test equipment will be needed. Watched 150 KVA UPS units smoke, so a 600 watt generator will be fun. I think they are going to be too small to sync without being mechanically tied together though. The quality of the engine for a stable RPM and load recovery is just not there.

PAR

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PARover:
I think they are going to be too small to sync without being mechanically tied together though. The quality of the engine for a stable RPM and load recovery is just not there.
View Quote

Running without an electrical load, they like to surge - No different from most other 2-strokes.

If you can put decent loads on both of them before tieing them together, you might have better luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Running without an electrical load, they like to surge - No different from most other 2-strokes.

View All Quotes

I think they are going to be too small to sync without being mechanically tied together though. The quality of the engine for a stable RPM and load recovery is just not there.

Not the two strokes I deal with everyday. Should be stable at WOT, loaded or not.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Not the two strokes I deal with everyday. Should be stable at WOT, loaded or not
View All Quotes

Not the two strokes I deal with everyday. Should be stable at WOT, loaded or not

With no electrical load connected, they aren't running anywhere near wide-open throttle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Mechanically tied together?  Like 2 gennies on a spit?  Or front & back w/ a bicycle chain?  Maybe on top of each other?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]

With no electrical load connected, they aren't running anywhere near wide-open throttle
View All Quotes

With no electrical load connected, they aren't running anywhere near wide-open throttle
You are correct, but they are governed. They should be very stable. But again we are talking about an $89 generator and two stroke. You get what you pay for.

Mechanically tied together?  Like 2 gennies on a spit?  Or front & back w/ a bicycle chain?  Maybe on top of each other?  

Hmm, hadn't thought of a chain.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Master a cheap mechanical connection, and we could have an inexpensive, infinitely scalable two-stroke generator... A dime a watt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Update on my 2nd HF 900 watt generator: continuing the break in process mostly with a 500 watt lamp load: still chugging along perfectly after a total of about 15 hours of run time.

It sometimes has a screechy sound to it after a few hours, I took the recoil starter off and fiddled with it yesterday (nothing specific wrong) and it seems to be better today.

I'm using 50:1 89 octane 100% ETOH free gas (BP Silver) (down from 40:1 mix).

It starts on the 3rd pull or sooner.

Original Xinhua spark plug. No oil leaking anywhere.

So far so good.

BTW I just got in a SuperGen Tent (regular size) which swallows this little generator up. It makes it a bit quieter, but the generator needs to be raised up a bit to be more effective.  I measured the dbs with an ipad app: I get about 5 db reduction in sound levels at 23 feet. Not a big difference, but measurable, hardly worth using for a relatively quiet generator to begin will.

I get as big a reduction in noise going from sitting on a concrete surface to a mulch or grass surface.

I'm thinking about getting a piece of Quietbrace (about 9$ at HD for a 4x8 ft piece) to set it on and see if that helps, too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one of these and think it's a great but I do store it with gas just in case the lights go out.  Should I not do this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I just purchased the generator after reading this thread.  After two hours of  the break in, there is an oil slick under the gen.  Bad sign and return or normal?

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Return. Definitely not normal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Since there isn't a crankcase that contains any oil, your "oil slick" would have to come from oil in the fuel.

Most likely culprit would be a leak in the fuel hose - very easy to fix.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1LTfptg:

I wouldn't hook up a $700 computer to a $79 generator if i were you.

not if you want to keep your computers hard drive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1LTfptg:
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
Originally Posted By easy610:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/easy610/thisthread.jpg

Awaiting any additional insight....thanks for the post.

I'm a generator idiot.  What could you run with this, household items as example....?

not much at the same time, however, a chest freezer/fridge (depending on size). Lights, TV computers, fans...the list goes on.

I wouldn't hook up a $700 computer to a $79 generator if i were you.

not if you want to keep your computers hard drive.

it wouldn't matter on a laptop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AaronMN:
I just purchased the generator after reading this thread.  After two hours of  the break in, there is an oil slick under the gen.  Bad sign and return or normal?

Thanks all!
View Quote

the unit does not contain oil, check the fuel line from the tank to the carb.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to exchange it.

I have no idea on the correct terminology, so just follow along the best you can.  The puddles under the unit were a very dark black.  The housing for the piston was leaking somehow, possibly through the gasket.

Make sense?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Question - what's the 12V output on these?  Enough to run a 12V trolling motor?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
There is no 12 volt output on this model.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I don't know, but I like what your thinking!

Makes me go hmmm!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SeanTX] [#39]
View Quote

Would need an 110V AC to 12V DC inverter. How many amps is the trolling motor?

Good luck with the "stealth" and "peace and quiet" aspect of fishing with a Chinese 2 stroke and generator head screaming at you the entire time.

ETA: And don't bother bringing cigars. They'll be plenty of smoke.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I have an older blue one, and I thought it came w/ a 12V output plug.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:  Would need an inverter. How many watts is the trolling motor?

Good luck with the "stealth" and "peace and quiet" aspect of fishing with a Chinese 2 stroke and generator head screaming at you the entire time.

View Quote

Lol.  I just want something to get to trot lines.  I hate fishing.  I'll drink my beer in a brew pub, and go check the trot line tomorrow.  Just a cheapie trolling motor from WalMart.  Figure I'd run a tube from the muffler into the water, but I guess that might make an oil slick.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Lol.  I just want something to get to trot lines.  I hate fishing.  I'll drink my beer in a brew pub, and go check the trot line tomorrow.  Just a cheapie trolling motor from WalMart.  Figure I'd run a tube from the muffler into the water, but I guess that might make an oil slick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SeanTX:  Would need an inverter. How many watts is the trolling motor?

Please video or at least take pics of this rig if you do it.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#43]
Was trying to figure out an inverter, then realized I just need a computer power supply.  Then I have to rig up a power switch.

This could get exciting if I get a leak.  

This should work:

http://www.amazon.com/KENTEK-Supply-EPS12V-SLI-ready-PCI-Express/dp/B00596NFOI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400196104&sr=1-2&keywords=computer+power+supplies
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:47:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#44]
Was trying to figure out an inverter, then realized I just need a computer power supply.  Then I have to rig up a power switch.

This could get exciting if I get a leak.  

This should work:

http://www.amazon.com/KENTEK-Supply-EPS12V-SLI-ready-PCI-Express/dp/B00596NFOI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400196104&sr=1-2&keywords=computer+power+supplies
View Quote

I didn't see a specification for how many amps that power supply will deliver on the 12 volt side. Most PC power supplies are pretty beefy for 5 or 3 volts, but kind of wimpy on the 12 volt connections.

A trolling motor could draw 20 amps at 12 volts, easily.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I don't even have a kayak yet, but we'll see what I figger out.  Any ideas on mechanically coupling two genny's?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#46]

I have an older blue one, and I thought it came w/ a 12V output plug.  Interesting.
View All Quotes

I've seen other little 2 stroke generators not sold by HF that have 12V output.

My Champion 3500 has 12V output, but only at 100 watts.  I've seen one of the cheap 2 strokes with 12V at Menards IIRC and it also only put out 100 watts on 12V.  I guess it's OK if you have a low-need battery that you'd kinda like to charge while you have the gen running for other stuff, but for much more than that I'd use a battery charger or inverter for higher output
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AaronMN:

Thanks all!
View Quote

My first one leaked around the spark plug due to bad machining of the head. I returned it, the new one is a champ... there is a tiny amount of oil from the muffler, a drop every few hours. Maybe from running it with 1:40 oil mix the first few gallons. I'm at 1:50 now...
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#48]
What's the consensus on red vs blue?
I've got a blue one with about 50 hours on it that I can still return until October. (extended warranty)
It has always had a bit of a rattle, but runs fine under load.

I'd hate to return it and end up with a newer one that might have it's own issues.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By KCGunnr:
What's the consensus on red vs blue?
I've got a blue one with about 50 hours on it that I can still return until October. (extended warranty)
It has always had a bit of a rattle, but runs fine under load.

I'd hate to return it and end up with a newer one that might have it's own issues.
View Quote

I think that they changed some screw/bolt sizes and there's something on the carb that is slightly 'improved' IIRC.

My red cat has a slight 'marble in a glass jar' knock to it, but after 15 hours last year of break-in, I'm able to overlook that.  

I ran mine at 40:1 with the marine grade 2 stroke oil and it doesn't smoke and works pretty well.  If your blue cat is working, I wouldn't worry about it.  At $80, you can always pick up a red one and have a spare, without breaking the bank.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Wasn't it that the blue unit required 89 octane and the red will get by with regular/87?
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top