Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 13 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:45:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: traprmike] [#1]
Originally Posted By Winchester73:
Originally Posted By MotherDearest:
That Ural is pretty nice.

Any idea on the load capacity, hp, top speed, and any maintenance issues?

If I had to guess it probably has about a 6-650# load capacity. Top speed is limiting. They recommend 62mph.
The bike is completely field maintainable with a very small tool kit supplied. Valve adjustments, oil changes, and grease fittings are the only maintenance and are all task that can be done in the field, and the bike comes with a comprehensive dvd to learn these and other task. I'd say one 200# man could load 500#'s of gear if he pushed it. Also the weight limitations are a symptom of the suspension not lack of gearing. The bikes being so simple, it may not be a great endeavor to beef up the rear springs.

I have a Ural. a 2006 i bought new. it's one wheel drive. I have had zero problems with it. it's not a bike to just hope on and go without tinkering though, it has solid lifters, so every 5-6k you must adjust those. and do not over rev engine or you'll bend the pushrods. top speed is rated at 65 mph. and that is very fast on the bike.  nice cruzer at around 50mph.
the pusher (rear tire) you'll get right at 5000k on it before it's smooth. I have German tires on it now, and lasting a little longer. 6500k

it is very easy to work on. and it has a large alternator. made to run electrics. Heated vest, gloves. that kind of stuff. there is no computer so i'm assuming it would be EMP resistant.

the Russians got the technology from an agreement in the late 30's from the Germans. but the agreement ended with the outbreak of WWII. and the Moscow factory moved the plant to a little town of Irbet in the Ural mountains and produced 10,000 of these bikes to move troops.  The Urals were designed to hold 3 solders and there gear.

The German and Russian bikes were originally 650 cc, that was upgraded to 750 in the 90's. along with  Mikuni carbs, (all kinds of problems with the Russian carburetors) electronic ignition, front disk brake and better bench style seat. although the tractor seat is still an  option on the Gear Ups.  

over all, it's not a touring bike, it's a work bike. but wife and I like riding it on weekend rides.
the engine has always started for me during cold weather.  I have ridden it down to 25 degrees. but that's pushing it.  the carbs do not like that cold weather. and I had to keep the enrichners on for the ride home,, they are not chokes..

EDIT:
Ural Website
$11,599 List price. and they get that too.. plus ~300-400 bux set up.
i got mine for $8200 new  big jump !

they only make 2000 bikes a year also.
In 06, something like 150,000 HD's were registored in the USA, only 500 Urals were.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Eberlestock Operator:

Weight as packed with Source 100 oz bladder full 46 lbs.
Above with my current M4 in scabbard 56.8 lbs.

Oakley SI gloves
USMC OD 100 wgt fleece
Beanie
mosquito head net
UA ColdGear long sleeve base layer
Regular cotton long sleeve shirt
Vertx pants
UA loose fit tech T
2 pair of merino wool socks
4 hot hands
bandanna
Big trash bag

wet wipes
micro fiber towel
shit tickets
small soap
toothbrush
toothpaste

Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent, fly, 6 plastic stakes, poles (footprint not pictured)

Source 100 oz bladder
titanium long handle spoon
coffee mug
Jetboil
fuel canister
cleaning scratch pad
food (see my other thread for complete listing: Food Thread)

50 ft of 550 cord
Next Gen KBar (I know, but it's been everywhere with me.  I'm working on a better attachment)
Princeton Tech headlight
zip ties
rag
AP brush
bottle of Rem Oil (have some CLP to replace it soon)
Jetboil igniter replacement
batteries
sharpening stick
2 20 rd 556 Pmags loaded
ear pro
9 hour candle and holder
bic
strike force lighter with tinder
matches in holder
can opener

heavy sealed bag
thumb drive with docs
headphones
compass
Rite in rain 3x5 notepad
pencil
sharpie
local map (not shown-opsec!-urban map for my daily travels, marked with points of interest)

SnugPak Softie Elite 3

Gerber Diesel and bit kit
Nalgene with duck tape wrapped

big IFAK with all the boo boo and comfort stuff in it

MSR MiniWorks
cleaning pad
extension tube to fill bladder

Packing it all up:

clothes and the little stuff go in the bottom pouch (little stuff goes in the pockets around the inside)

Sleeping bag, food, and stove go in top compartment.

Close the front entry and stuff the tent, etc, in on top of it

Stick the electronics and nav goodies in the top lid.

Bladder on the left side pouch

Gloves and bandanna in one of the bottom outside pockets

stakes and poles on the left

ammo on the right with the Kbar

headlamp and filter (not shown, it's drying) in the outside upper pocket

And some general all the way around pics of it loaded:

These pics were handy.  Set the tent up and crashed in it last weekend at the house with the dogs:

Obligatory pics of the dogs.  The puppy is wearing her el cheapo pack for this trip.  I'll see how she likes it.  So far it hasn't bothered her hiking around the place.  Weighs about 10 lbs loaded.

Few things that go in and out: iPhone, charger, portable backup power for it. Thermarest.  Sunglasses.  

There you go dial up.

Thanks,
unstabl
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice post..... thanks.

you said you have a scabbard in the pack......would like to see the rifle in it.....how does it carry with the rifle in place?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#4]

Originally Posted By unstabl:

<snip>

*Water Shoes or Sandals

*Small container of cooking oil (like a tube or something, just a few oz)

*Lightweight shorts

*Ferro rod

Great list, I'm stealing some of your ideas.

If you have to cross a river or stream, you'll need to be able to do it without getting your good shoes/socks/pants wet.

Cooking oil is good for metal conditioning, cooking, firestarting, etc

Matches and lighter will give out, or fuck up. Get a good firesteel/ferro rod.

**ETA I just saw your pics, ignore some of my suggestions**

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The scabbard is built in on the Operator.  My Phantom has a removable scabbard.  I'm leaving now to slide between the thunderstorms for my hike.  I'll have an update when I get back and do some more local stuff this weekend with the M4/R700 in it for a fit.  

I am working the Phantom into a more aggressive oriented GHB/BOB and I'll post it up when I get done.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unstabl] [#6]
**ETA: I just saw your ETA, so this ETA is in reference to your ETA :) .  Ignore my responses as appropriate.  Thanks!

I've got a set of water shoes that are in there right now for the hike.  I didn't include them b/c I really don't know what I like/want yet.

The strike force fire maker does real well.  It's a solid unit with a spare area for one tinder cube.  I've used magnesium starters before as well and I have them in other bags, I just really like this one in my bag.

I'm not big on shorts in the woods.  I am built kind of like a ballerina, if there was such a thing as  a 5'6" 200 lb bulldozer shaped ballerina that breaks everything and everybody laughs when he eventually falls down.  Because of that I just get torn the heck up when I wear shorts.  On trail, probably fine.  Off trail, no go for me.  I can roll up my pants.

The cooking oil is a good idea.  I just don't have any of the equipment that it would be used on.  I'd rather focus my fire making in other areas.

Great ideas.  Really made me think about the shoes.  I'm carrying them right now as "camp" shoes since I may be a little tender getting back into this.  But they make sense on the trail too when crossing water.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A buddy and I went out on a 'mock bug out' back in January of 09. It was in the 20s the whole time.

Our path didn't take us across any creeks or rivers, so we didn't pack any shorts or water shoes.

Well, about 1/3 of the way into our trek, we ran across a pair of deer hunters in a blind with a good 180 degree view that blocked our path. Fuck.

So to our west was a massive rock face that we had no chance of climbing, and to our east was a sizable creek, probably three feet deep in the deepest spot.

We were traveling north.

We debated for about an hour about what to do, quietly obviously, we didn't want to be seen by the hunters.

We stripped down to our underwear and crossed barefoot. It was excruciating and we couldn't build a fire due to our proximity to the hunters.

Long story short, it would have been great to have had a pair of shitty shorts and water shoes to change into real quick, and back out of on the other side.

Anyway, just some history on why I suggest those two items.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
How comfortable is that Eberlestock Operator?

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
How comfortable is that Eberlestock Operator?

So far I really like it.  You have to crank the straps down to compress the scabbard when it's empty or it will roll side to side a little.  I just got a break in the rain and am about to hit the road.  I'll let you know how it does in the real world in a few days.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a great thread, I've read it a number of times and have tagged it for years.  It's about time I contribute some.

First of all, here are couple good deals on quality packs.  Not tacticool, but worth a look while they are on sale.

Kelty Wrangell 3000

Kelty Cordova 2000

I would also like to share a couple of shelter ideas that I purchased this year for a mountain hunt.  I carried these items in my day pack in case I had to siwash.  These are a little expensive, but super light and very popular with sheep/mountain hunters up here.

TiGoat Ptarmagin Bivy

Integral Designs SilShelter

Here's a pic of the Sil Shelter set up in my yard for seam sealing:

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
This is a great thread, I've read it a number of times and have tagged it for years.  It's about time I contribute some.

First of all, here are couple good deals on quality packs.  Not tacticool, but worth a look while they are on sale.

Kelty Wrangell 3000

Kelty Cordova 2000

I would also like to share a couple of shelter ideas that I purchased this year for a mountain hunt.  I carried these items in my day pack in case I had to siwash.  These are a little expensive, but super light and very popular with sheep/mountain hunters up here.

TiGoat Ptarmagin Bivy

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/images/SSCN1214.JPG

Integral Designs SilShelter

Here's a pic of the Sil Shelter set up in my yard for seam sealing:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296692_2291377525019_1266425478_2690876_6852414_n.jpg

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'm posting a little earlier than I intended.  I gambled on the line of storms moving through and went to my campsite yesterday afternoon.  I thought maybe, just maybe, the worst will go south of me.  

It didn't. Spent 14 hours in the tent in massive storms, lightning, etc.  Water on the campsite (structured site, no back country until spring of next year) was about 2" deep all around the tent.  Oh well!  I enjoyed being out in it.  Got up this morning to my dumb luck (read that: unlucky self) finding the one main concrete bridge underwater from one end to the other.  Water was too deep and too fast for a vehicle ford.  I chose the campsite vs the other option b/c the other one was at a low area with a bend in the river and close to the river.  I didn't want to take any chances if the cell hit.  The problem with the campsite I chose (high ground and situated a hundred yards from the water) is that it is on the west side of the river.  The trail runs the east side for the majority of the way.  The other problem is that there are relatively few major roads in and out on the west side.  That meant I was in 4 high trying to find ways to cross the goat trails as the rain had formed several new creeks/rivers.  No big deal, just slow going and a lot of backtracking.  

Made it to the visitor center and let them know what the area looked like then I headed down to a short trail under the hill from there.  Hiked about 3 miles (80 minutes) with dog and pack.  It was a lot of straight up/straight down and with the rain made it more difficult than it should have been.  A couple of spots had my Dane scrabbling for traction.  After that I headed to the house and immediately logged on here!  Lol.

Here are some random notes from my short stay:

Dog was bored, but I had some books and I gave her a rawhide chew which she promptly attempted to bury in my soft shell.  I had to get in and out occasionally to nature break.  It really reinforced making sure everything was waterproofed.  I'll be adding a hard case for my phone, etc, so that it is waterproof AND safe from shock if I fall or drop my pack.

The tent (Kelty Grand Mesa 2) performed like a champ.  I did have a little bit of rain blow in at the vent in the rear of the fly, but it was raining Forrest Gump style, so I don't hold it against it.  I wouldn't have noticed it anyway if I wasn't propped right under it.  There was PLENTY of room for me (5'6" 205 lbs), my Dane (130 lbs), and my pack (Eberlestock Operator).  No issues on setup, tear down, venting (it did get humid 78 degrees in the worst of the storm but it was very bearable), waterproofing from the factory (I just let it ride as it shipped, no preventative seam sealing prior), or space.  At 4 1/2 lbs, this is an excellent tent for the money if you aren't alone.  Another plus is that the fly sets up with the poles for a nice ultralight summer/spring shelter.

For camping I could've used a bigger towel.  For  a BOB, the small one is fine.  I have to keep in mind that camping/hiking/backpacking/SHTF are all different scenarios even though they have a large amount of crossover.  Me and the dog needed a lot of drying going to and from.  Even just wiping stuff down after it was over a larger microfiber would have been nice.  The small one really just moved water vs absorbing it.

I was base camping, I intended to hike out to a different point each day.  It would have been "posh" if I had a one gallon ultralight collapsible water carrier.  I used some 1 gallon zip-locs, but it wasn't the same.  They don't stand up, etc.  I would have liked to have brought water up to the camp once for the evening and morning.  Hiking on the move this wouldn't have come up, but spending time at one spot, it would have been nice for this trip.  No biggie here though.  Again, something that was nice for camping if I could find one at a few ounces, but not necessary for SHTF.

If you have  a dog, take a control leash (18" long or shorter depending on the dog).  I left mine at the house and ended up making do with a 5' tie out looped down.  The short leash let me really give her good instruction on where to go in heavy woods and on sliding side trails.  It also let me let go when I needed my hands and it wouldn't get caught up as she made her way on her own.  I'll probably braid a 550 leash soon, b/c it's cool, not b/c I need it.  Anyhow, short leash for the dog, the long ones just tie you and everything around you up at the worst possible time.

Again on dogs: work your dog before you go.  I spent a decent amount of time (15 minutes a day and an hour twice a day on weekends) working with my puppy using the control leash, walking on my left, not tugging (that will tire you out quick), and wearing her pack (she had to get used to being wider.  Bumped into everything when she first started wearing it.)  It paid off real fast.  She was all over the place until I snapped her on, then she fell in beside me and did what we had been doing.  A few times she wanted to run ahead, but a couple of tugs and she fell back in step.  If you can hit the park or something with some woods, do it so you don't have that curve to overcome when you do get to the woods.

The hike was pretty tough since it was raining and everything was muddy and it was steep.  That meant my attention was on the ground in front of me.  Granted I wanted to push and make time, but if this were a SHTF, I would have been at a crawl to move, observe, move.  Keep that in mind when you plan your timetables.  Different terrain changes your times, but so does a different "threat level".  

I've lost some weight but I have another 10 lbs to go before I'm at my goal.  My cardio is not where it should be and it showed today.  I work for a living and I had no problems moving myself up the hill, that is until I could not take in oxygen to keep my muscles going.  I have to increase cardio.  There is a balance of strength and cardio that should be looked at very hard for each individual.  Every one will be different.  Additionally, no amount of "hard work" makes up for actually carrying a pack.  You can get close, but you need to put it on and hit it hard as a training exercise.  Bugging out isn't just about the gear and equipment, you have to get there mentally and physically with enough left over to actually be worth a damn in the situation.  

I don't need a full length Thermarest even if it is OD green.  3/4 is fine and will be added to the shopping list.

Some of you are probably wondering about the Operator.  Well, it's great.  I don't have a huge background in hiking but I've spent some time doing simple recreational hiking and backpacking as well as a few years with the Marine Corps.  Nothing major.  I used a Kelty Red Cloud 3500 for years.  The Operator does not carry as well as the purpose built backpacking packs I've used.  It ain't far behind, but it isn't quite the same.  It is 8.5 lbs I believe which is a brick in comparison.  You couldn't tear this pack up if you tried though.  I'm sure it will last longer than anyone in my family.  For me the durability was important so the weight was a trade off.  The weapon carrying capability was important to me as well.  I hope that if something happens I have the strength to put on my pack, slide my M4 into the scabbard, my Glock onto a hip-belt holster and step off.  Moving up and down the steep slopes in off camber situations, the pack was initially swinging all over the place.  It worked the crap out of me.  I got to the top and readjusted the load lifters since I had no rifle and it was night and day difference.  There was still SOME side to side movement of the pack and I fully believe that to be b/c of the scabbard being empty.  I intend to do some more working with it on slopes while carrying a rifle and make a better comparison.  The waist belt fit well and the back ventilated well enough I could feel cool air passing through once I worked up a sweat.  I'll be moving my IFAK back onto the pack somewhere instead of my waist belt.  The Nalgene carrier is staying but it's position isn't solid yet.  All in all, this thing is built like a tank to do what I need it to do: backpacking around while civilization exists and then after the zombies swarm, it will take anything the PAW can throw at it and keep going.  Enough said, I like it.

On vehicles:  getting out was little mud but so much rock and water.  I run Nitto Extreme M/T 33" tires and I was very confident making fords and crossing wash outs with slick, sharp rocks that I would not cut a sidewall.  Plenty of traction and lots of durability.  Today wouldn't have been anything more than a delay, but if I was moving to get in front of the storm or attempting to evade a golden horde, a flat on the downhill side of a mountain with little to no shoulder would have been a bit hairy.  Get good tires, keep good tires.

Your spare should match your other tires relatively speaking.  Mine is the factory spare.  Sucks for me.  I need another setup for the Nittos.  They are much taller and the spare is a highway tire.  It just isn't a good match.  I'll at least be looking for a same height mud tire even if it's a cheap one.

My Condor soft-shell performed like a champ.  Kept me dry and warm (temp dropped all day today, will be in 30's tonight).  It's done well for me since last fall and I highly recommend one for anyone on a budget.  The chest pockets are at just the right height to get in and out of while wearing a pack and the pit zips are life savers when it gets muggy and wet.

I had a good time considering.  At the very minimum I got to test the wet weather and go from there.  As always, any comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW, I believe I promised some pics of the Operator loaded out with weapons.  I'll post those up tonight or in the morning (tomorrow more likely).  I plan on showing an M4, a Rem 700, and an 870 in the different pack configurations possible.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, Guys. This is my current BOB. A lot of things I plan on changing to cut down on weight.
I went the "grey man" approach with this pack with a earth tone rain cover if stealth is needed.
Keep in mind I'm fairly young and just starting out so all advice will be greatly appreciated...I know I have too many knives

North Face Terra 65.

Seychelle water filter bottle, Blackhawk hydration bladder, gerber machete, Eureka Solitaire tent, Mora,  Alps aid pad (soon replace with something much smaller and lighter)

Sea To Summit rain cover.

Top compartment.

Surefire 6P led, chem sticks, compass, headlamp (soon to be replaced), pen, paper, knive (took out), contractor bag, poncho.
Medical bag, Quick clot, Ibuprofen, anti diarrhea, medical tape, gauze, alcohol pad, gloves, ect.

Front compartment.

Wet wipes, mirror, lip balm, money, zip ties, hand sanitizer, 550 & batteries.
Fire starter, lighter, Matches, petroleum dipped cotton balls, 9v battery, & a brillo pad.

Main compartment.

Suisse Sport 30 degree bag, vacuumed sealed Multicam BDUS, Archteryx softshell, socks, thermals, GSI cookset, MSR Pocket Rocket, spare glasses, Mountain House, peanut butter bars, & Jerky.

My EDC.

Glock 26, Comptac spartan, spare mag, Benchmade Onslaught, Benchmade Mini Barrage, & Surefire G2

My Bug Out Gun.

A tad too heavy. Looking to building a lighter AR with a ACOG.
DPMS, Eotech, Surefive M900V, & K15 (not needed).

A size comparison.

Maxpedition Condor 2, North Face Terra 65, and a Eureka Mansard 8 tent.

Sorry if the pictures are large, I attempted to resize them.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I did have a few pics of the tent and gear/dog.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the pics I promised:

First is of my Rem 870, 18" barrel with Mesa Tactical adapter and VLTOR stock.  OA length collapsed is 35" and the weight is right at 8.6 lbs loaded.  

Here is a general shot of the shotgun and pack.

Here it is in the scabbard with the bottom of the scabbard folded up and tucked into the bottom of the pack.  This is generally how I run this pack with everything but my bolt gun.  This pack stays in my truck and I keep the scabbard folded up at the bottom with a MP 15/22 broken down in to two halves slid into the scabbard with the scabbard cover over the top of it all.  No one ever knows there is a rifle in there and the 15/22 separated fits perfect.  I've carried my M4 the same way when I've traveled on business and it works moving stuff to the hotel, etc.  Yes, it looks like a big military pack, but if you saw a picture of me you would understand.  No matter what I dress like, people's first impression of me is always "military or a cop".  Oh well.  I guess I stay inside the perception but keep it as low key as possible within that framework.  I may grow a goatee or something later.  Dunno.

And with the scabbard unfolded:

Next is my Remington 700 with McMillan stock.  OA length is 40 1/4".  The barrel is 19.5" long.  Weight unloaded is 13.2 lbs.

Scabbard folded:

Scabbard unfolded:

Last is my M4.  A Colt with 14.5" welded brake.  OA length is 31" collapsed and loaded weight is 10 lbs with a 20 rd Pmag/10.2 lbs with a 30 rd Pmag.

The general pic shows it with a 30 round Pmag.  With optics, this will not fit into the scabbard.  You either have to remove the sights, or swap to a 20 rd.  I keep 20s on the pack for transport, and 30s in the gun and on my warbelt/vest for a fight.

Scabbard folded:

Unfolded:

Shot of the buttstock at the top of the pack with the scabbard unfolded:

I took some pics of the scabbard empty with the straps compressed to give you guys an idea of where the weaker points of the system may be.

The top where I see the most give when it is empty.  Keep in mind the shoulder straps and the load lifters are not adjusted for fit right now.

Hope this helps you guys.  Next stop is the Phantom loaded out for a GHB and probably set up for my bolt gun "range bag" or something similar since it's deer season right now.  Keep you posted.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]
That looks really uncomfortable with a gun in it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Put my M4 in and jogged around the property for a few laps.  It's certainly more stiff.  It does shift side to side more than it did.  It isn't bad though.  I'd hate to have to run an obstacle course with it, but if I had to do it with a pack, I'd use this one.  Certainly purpose built.  There are definitely better packs for backpacking, etc., but I still like this one for doing what it does.  I'll trade a little comfort and weight for my normal weekend stuff to get the durability and rifle packability if something goes wrong.

I hope to get another hiking trip going during Thanksgiving.  If I do, I'll try and go somewhere weapon friendly and do some testing in the real world.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Put my M4 in and jogged around the property for a few laps.  It's certainly more stiff.  It does shift side to side more than it did.  It isn't bad though.  I'd hate to have to run an obstacle course with it, but if I had to do it with a pack, I'd use this one.  Certainly purpose built.  There are definitely better packs for backpacking, etc., but I still like this one for doing what it does.  I'll trade a little comfort and weight for my normal weekend stuff to get the durability and rifle packability if something goes wrong.

I hope to get another hiking trip going during Thanksgiving.  If I do, I'll try and go somewhere weapon friendly and do some testing in the real world.

I've tried a few different ways, but I settled on strapping it to the back of my pack. It doesn't change how it wears, and you don't notice it's there unless you try to sit down.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]

I've tried a few different ways, but I settled on strapping it to the back of my pack. It doesn't change how it wears, and you don't notice it's there unless you try to sit down.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QqPaHfQnlrc/TM81UPTjVrI/AAAAAAAAGHE/k5KapS1R9ss/s800/October%252520Bankhead%252520Part%2525202%2525200%25252007%25252057-08.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uXkyBk-Tlbg/TM81T10hnxI/AAAAAAAAGHA/yJ8Dqbapy58/s800/October%252520Bankhead%252520Part%2525201%2525200%25252002%25252005-30.jpg

whats the total weight??
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Muerte:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QqPaHfQnlrc/TM81UPTjVrI/AAAAAAAAGHE/k5KapS1R9ss/s800/October%252520Bankhead%252520Part%2525202%2525200%25252007%25252057-08.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uXkyBk-Tlbg/TM81T10hnxI/AAAAAAAAGHA/yJ8Dqbapy58/s800/October%252520Bankhead%252520Part%2525201%2525200%25252002%25252005-30.jpg

whats the total weight??
I think with that setup it was 36 lbs. + the rifle, so probably 42 ish.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]

whats the total weight??

really? i thought it would be more like 50
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Hammock tent and I roll out with an empty water bladder.

I cheat.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Hammock tent and I roll out with an empty water bladder.

I cheat.

That is a dream weight for me!  That setup with the rifle on the outside of the pack looks interesting.  I'm gonna give it a try soon and see how it works for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone carry a tent in there BoB or is it primarly tarp/ paracord. Ive Camped with both so very indifferent on the subject would like to hear more feedback
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]

That is a dream weight for me!  That setup with the rifle on the outside of the pack looks interesting.  I'm gonna give it a try soon and see how it works for me.
FWIW, I bet it took me 3 years and dozens of trips to get down to that weight. I've bought gear, scrapped it, bought more, etc, rinse repeat.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By clownbear69:

Does anyone carry a tent in there BoB or is it primarly tarp/ paracord. Ive Camped with both so very indifferent on the subject would like to hear more feedback

Some modern bivvy tents can run very light. I don't like a tent because the terrain down here is rugged, and it is nearly impossible to find a flat spot. I use a hammock, but it's not for everyone.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]

I've been using a Eureka Solitaire for over a year now.
The older models had issues with the poles breaking but mine appears to have been a newer model.
Its fairly compact but weighs around 2 pounds.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By 6norville0rogers6:

The older models had issues with the poles breaking but mine appears to have been a newer model.

+1, but not from me.

Snuff2202 is on this board, and is a good friend of mine, who also does BOB gear testing.

This is his setup. Very light.

Our last trip out:

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#30]

How many person tent is it a one person or does it say 2 but only fit one
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Yes. It a one person tent.
I'm 6'2", 220 pounds and I have plenty of room for myself and my pack inside.
And I'm guess from the above picture its big enough for Jason Voorhees and his machete too.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clownbear69] [#32]

And I'm guess from the above picture its big enough for Jason Voorhees and his machete too.

Well only reason why i ask is I also have a Eureka tent an external frame which i love but seem outdated since many rainfly tents are getting lighter in weight but not in quality. do you all carry tarps with your tent as well or do u put the tent straight on the ground
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Well only reason why i ask is I also have a Eureka tent an external frame which i love but seem outdated since many rainfly tents are getting lighter in weight but not in quality. do you all carry tarps with your tent as well or do u put the tent straight on the ground

Both.
If I think I'm going to be in rough country I toss down a small tarp, but most the time I don't even use one.
Just check the area first.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
hey mr famous..... er bcauz3y

Is that the water fall at three forks here in GA in your last pic?

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#35]
who wants to plan a BoB test trip?
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By KrazyL:

hey mr famous..... er bcauz3y

Is that the water fall at three forks here in GA in your last pic?

Caney creek falls in Bankhead forest here in AL.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]

who wants to plan a BoB test trip?

i'm down––where in tx are you?

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Hell Just kidding El Paso
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#39]

being in the outdoors––good.  testing gear and setup––good.  DFW to el paso––too far!

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

being in the outdoors––good.  testing gear and setup––good.  DFW to el paso––too far!

Yeah thats a trip lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 1:16:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: all4bao] [#41]
Hi guys, I'm just starting out so don't mind the noob question.  I'm in the process of building a BOB and wondering what molle style pouch I can use to increase my main-pack's capacity?

Right now i'm using magazine, grenade, and canteen pouches to increase my total capacity but I think using the canteen pouch on the sides is wasting valuable space.  The canteen pouches aren't very large :(

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By all4bao:

Hi guys, I'm just starting out so don't mind the noob question.  I'm in the process of building a BOB and wondering what molle style pouch I can use to increase my main-pack's capacity?

Right now i'm using magazine, grenade, and canteen pouches to increase my total capacity but I think using the canteen pouch on the sides is wasting valuable space.  The canteen pouches aren't very large :(

http://www.icanhasimage.com/images/vpofn36.jpg

don't worry––we were all new to this at one point.  the value of this thread (and of the entire subforum) is to accelerate everyone's learning curve––we're all gleaning info from each other.

honestly, i don't really like to add pouches to a pack because it seems to give me an excuse to pack extra items that might not be strictly necessary.  in addition, it seems to hurt weight distribution and makes my pack slosh around.  but you're in a much colder environment, so that means your rig is going to be more volume-intensive than mine.  you might consider SAW pouches rather than canteen pouches to keep smaller items ready at hand, but they're not going to add a whole lot of capacity.  maybe a better option are these:

http://craven1.apollohosting.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E1&Product_Code=A3SB&Category_Code=AC

as you refine your rig, i would suggest that you consider buying a pack that will accommodate everything without add-ons, but these might be a good near-term solution.  eberlestock is top-quality stuff.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Id like to ask what items that you are carrying. We as group might be able to help if your carrying to lighten the load etc. My general rule that heavy items gotta have atleast three uses for it. Now i know some items you are gonna have to carry but i hope you know what I mean. (FYI im from wisconsin so i do know bout cold weather ops) but yeah go ahead and list what you are carrying
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: all4bao] [#44]

Id like to ask what items that you are carrying. We as group might be able to help if your carrying to lighten the load etc. My general rule that heavy items gotta have atleast three uses for it. Now i know some items you are gonna have to carry but i hope you know what I mean. (FYI im from wisconsin so i do know bout cold weather ops) but yeah go ahead and list what you are carrying

I don't have most of the stuff listed below but they are coming.  

- Military patrol sleeping bag (30+ degrees) with gore-tex shell.  I don't have the cold weather (Black) sleeping bag that's rated -20F, it's just too big, bulky, and won't fit my pack.
- ISO Mat (Therm-A-Rest Z-lite)
- Military Poncho Liner
- Re-usable Space (mylar) blanket/Tarp.  It's not the cheap disposable kind, it's like a poncho liner type.
- Windproof fleece Balaclava
- Military Polypro

- Waterproof matches
- (2) Magnesium fire starter
- (2) Canteens & Cup
- Very small/portable water filter system (filter good for 20 gallons), it's the size of a chem light stick.
- Water purification tablets (In case water filter fail)

- Military Compass
- (10) 12 hours chem light
- All-weather safety whistle
- Signal mirror
- Self-powered NOAA weather radio w/flashlight (Crank & Solar powered)

- 100 ft of 550 cords
- Fenix 180 lumens flash light (the size of a maglite & uses 2 AA)
- E-Tool
- Leatherman WAVE multi-tool
- 3.5" pocket knife (Byrd, a subsidiary of SpyderCo)
- Glock 26

and I am in the process of piecing together a first aid kit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]

I don't have most of the stuff listed below but they are coming.  

- Military patrol sleeping bag (30+ degrees) with gore-tex shell.  I don't have the cold weather (Black) sleeping bag that's rated -20F, it's just too big, bulky, and won't fit my pack.
- ISO Mat (Therm-A-Rest Z-lite)
- Military Poncho Liner
- Re-usable Space (mylar) blanket/Tarp.  It's not the cheap disposable kind, it's like a poncho liner type.
- Windproof fleece Balaclava
- Military Polypro

- Waterproof matches
- (2) Magnesium fire starter
- (2) Canteens & Cup
- Very small/portable water filter system (filter good for 20 gallons), it's the size of a chem light stick.
- Water purification tablets (In case water filter fail)

- Military Compass
- (10) 12 hours chem light
- All-weather safety whistle
- Signal mirror
- Self-powered NOAA weather radio w/flashlight (Crank & Solar powered)

- 100 ft of 550 cords
- Fenix 180 lumens flash light (the size of a maglite & uses 2 AA)
- E-Tool
- Leatherman WAVE multi-tool
- 3.5" pocket knife (Byrd, a subsidiary of SpyderCo)
- Glock 26

and I am in the process of piecing together a first aid kit.

Thats a pretty basic kit (impressed) would recommend getting a bigger pack. Also what kind of canteens do you have? if they are nalgene bottles awesome if not i would get them instead. its very easy to stuff more things into them, two many filtration (sp) systems accept nalgene bottles plus easier to clean. I cannot think of anything else at the moment but good start. was there any items you were thinking on getting?

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm thinking of spending $30 for the 2 military canteens & cups.  Unless you can recommend something else?  I choose the military canteens & cup system because they are sturdy and battle tested.  But like you suggested, nalgene bottles are better?  do they sell molle pouch that fit the nalgene bottle?  also, do they sell "canteen cup" for the nalgene bottle?

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something.  Otherwise, I think it's complete.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#47]

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something.  Otherwise, I think it's complete.

food might be a good idea.  

a map is sometimes helpful.

gloves and spare socks.

set of mini binocs and an esbit stove would be good investments.

that E-tool is probably unnecessary weight, unless you have a very specific need for it.  delete that, and all of the above could be added for no weight penalty.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#48]
do they sell molle pouch that fit the nalgene bottle?  also, do they sell "canteen cup" for the nalgene bottle?

Canteen Cup

Nalgene MOLLE

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#49]
do they sell molle pouch that fit the nalgene bottle?  also, do they sell "canteen cup" for the nalgene bottle?

Canteen Cup

Nalgene MOLLE

Beat me to it. But they have been adding stuff for nalgenes for quite awhile now when they came out (close to 10 years ago) there was nothing. Plus the reason why i like using nalgene they are much easier to clean. hell i think now they are dishwasher safe but could be wrong
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks a million unstabl

I'm ditching my military canteen pouches and ordered the 2 pouch made by Condor!  I also ordered the stainless steel cup.

Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 13 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top