User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:50:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cherenkov] [#3]
So the lesson is so obvious - Live within your means and account for additional savings because you will or may need it someday.

People that have all the toys, trips, fancy vehicles, etc. often have no savings or retirement.  Envy of crap you don't need and can't afford is a disease that consumes financial freedom.

I have never bought a new car, paid for lawn care and home repairs improvements, generally do most of my own car maint and keep cars longer than most would (usually around 10 years) and never have credit card debt - its always paid it off immediately - the card is merely a convenience item for payment.  If I didn't know how to do something, I often figured it out or asked someone and learned something - not popular for many.  As a physicist with multiple patents, I never felt I was too good to clean out septic lines or repair a toilet.  I would say every dirty job I ever had taught me something and was valuable  even in advanced work settings.  I tell my family hard work has always paid off even when it wasn't obvious or had an immediate return.

The best advice is to live within your means - be disciplined to live on less and save something all the time - try to do some things yourself instead of paying for others to do it for you - It will add up.

Edit to add: Don't waste money on what are obviously worthless degrees that won't better your financial standing.  Your PhD in Greek Classics from Tufts might get you street creds working at the book store or talking points at parties - but starting out in $250k in debt is just poor math.  Get a degree in something that pays or live with the consequences.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

I hope their degrees are not in math, because they suck at it.   They do however appear to have a good case for bankruptcy which may be a better option in the long run.  

View Quote

there's the rub... student loans can't be discharged through bankruptcy....that's why the government will cut checks for a quarter million dollars in underwater basket weaving. All we'd need to do to fix the system is change that one line in the law. It would get sorted out in short order and tons of schools would close up or at least tighten their belts like a reasonable business.

Georgia does a lot of that same stuff with college, and residents with good grades can get full rides easily. Some even pay room and board I believe. Plus all state schools are free after you're 62, so when I retire I'm going to go learn how to weld and shit for free.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:11:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#6]
I think another forgotten retirement thing is hidden costs.  So, that state that doesn't have an income tax, might have very high property taxes.  Some states have very high insurance rates.  FL might be a nice retirement destination but if you want to retire there, you better have a plan for the high home insurance rates.  MI has high car insurance rates.  TX has high property tax rates.  Some states have very high utility rates.  Some states don't have taxes on certain types of retirement income.  Some states offer property tax cuts for retirees.  Those are just examples of the many different things to consider before deciding what state to retire in.  

Not saying any of those states are a bad place to be retired in but looking at all the financial factors is important when deciding where to retire to or if you should stay where you are when you retire.  

I suspect these "hidden" cost of living factors are often not considered by people who are closing in on retirement.  

I have another friend who moved to southern FL a few years ago.  He loves it there but he told me he's going to have to work longer than he wanted to because the cost of living is so much higher than he planned on.  I'm not saying he made a mistake moving there because he and his wife are very happy there but it did change his retirement finances.  We will each have to make the work/retire decisions for ourselves and need to take everything into consideration before we make the final decisions.  Most do not and failing to do so will negatively affect your retirement planning.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
I’m a professional wealth manager. After almost 30 years, hundreds of clients, and thousands of case studies, here is my sage observation distilled down to one statement:

The fastest way to get poor is to act rich.

OP’s friend acted rich. Now he’s poor.
View Quote

Sig line material!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Financial planning is an important subject.  Disciplined saving is crucial (even if it's gold, guns, and ammo).  I like to invest in myself (health, fitness, training, etc).  They can't tax or repo my knowledge.  

16 College Degrees With the Best ROI (Plus Salaries)

More people need to have contingency plans.  I always had the long view that even though I planned ahead and saved plenty for old age that one day the dollar would be devalued and the crooks would try to steal everything not nailed down.

So by investing in my health and skills I would be able to work into my 70s if I had to, increasing my earnings, savings, and shortening my retirement.  If things work out where I can retire early I just see that as a bonus.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I think im set. I'm 31 and will be retired at 38. 13 years in the navy, 7 to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the smallest house you need and not the biggest you can afford.
Two work acquaintances received large cash windfalls from family, $200,000 to $250,000, both immediately put it down on new McMansions, instead of paying off their current homes.
Next round of layoffs they both got let go and lost their new homes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#11]
Originally Posted By Phiers:
I think im set. I'm 31 and will be retired at 38. 13 years in the navy, 7 to go.
View Quote

Good retirement.  But...you only get 1/2 of your base pay in retirement.  So, you are taking a lot more than 1/2 of a pay cut at retirement.  Make sure you take that into consideration before you retire.  

That said, the lifetime health insurance and steady retirement check is a good thing to have for sure.  Very few people who retire from active duty anticipate the real pay cut.  Also, many don't cut their living expenses before retiring.  I know several friends who retired from active duty end up struggling to make ends meet...not because they don't make enough but because they didn't cut their expenses enough before retirement.  Don't know if that will affect you or not but something to consider.

Retiring at 38 definitely gives you the opportunity to start a whole new career and be completely done at 60 or even 55 if you wanted to.  You could never work again after 38 if you live in an extremely low cost of living area and are willing to really be frugal.  But, realistically, you need to plan for a new career of some type post military retirement.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Phiers:
View Quote

I hope for your sake that you choose to start a second career.  Relying on a current pension issued in US dollars to cover future expenses without planning on future earned income with consideration of the current and continuing inflation could be hazardous to a enjoyable retirement.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#13]
Originally Posted By lumper:

I hope for your sake that you choose to start a second career.  Relying on a current pension issued in US dollars to cover future expenses without planning on future earned income with consideration of the current and continuing inflation could be hazardous to a enjoyable retirement.
View Quote

One of the benefits of a military retirement is they tend to get good cost of living increases unlike some private pensions.  But, there's more to military pay than the base pay but when you retire with 20 years, you get 1/2 of your base pay ONLY.  It's a pretty large cut in income.  Even if you go to 30 years, you get 75% of your base pay ONLY.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m a professional wealth manager. After almost 30 years, hundreds of clients, and thousands of case studies, here is my sage observation distilled down to one statement:

OP’s friend acted rich. Now he’s poor.
View Quote

I would say that there is a part two to that adage... If you want to get rich, act poor...

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio_Bill] [#15]
I'm a professional wealth manager. After almost 30 years, hundreds of clients, and thousands of case studies, here is my sage observation distilled down to one statement:

OP's friend acted rich. Now he's poor.
View Quote
Wife and I have family members in that exact situation. Husband had a lucrative, albeit not very senior, job at a very large company everyone has heard of. Wife stayed home to raise their kids, had some part time jobs along the way. Very large house, renovated multiple times ($$$$$). Always driving expensive cars, taking expensive trips, etc. We got a clue a few years ago when we were visiting them and one said something about their mortgage. Wife and I looked at each other as if to say "WTF, how can they possibly still have a mortgage, they've been living here 25 years".

Long story short, they are both 70 and living on social security and some pension income. Everything else has been spent
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#16]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Wife and I have family members in that exact situation. Husband had a lucrative, albeit not very senior, job at a very large company everyone has heard of. Wife stayed home to raise their kids, had some part time jobs along the way. Very large house, renovated multiple times ($$$$$). Always driving expensive cars, taking expensive trips, etc. We got a clue a few years ago when we were visiting them and one said something about their mortgage. Wife and I looked at each other as if to say "WTF, how can they possibly still have a mortgage, they've been living here 25 years".

Long story short, they are both 70 and living on social security and some pension income. Everything else has been spent
View Quote

You can live high while you can but then you won’t have much in retirement….or you can scrimp and save and die with lots of money you didn’t have the energy to spend once you got old!

I believe there is a balance. FINDING that balance is the issue. I want to do things and enjoy my labor while I still have my health…..but I also want to live comfortably in retirement without having to work or wondering if I can pay my bills.

I have another friend who is 60 this year. He was texting me today talking about his future. He has to work till he’s 65 because he just doesn’t have enough in retirement. He’s got some just not enough. He’s not in great health so I fear he will die shortly after he retires and never get to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate to say this, but this is very applicable to my current situation. During 2020, I lost roughly 75% of my income, then lost my job all together at the end of the year. I ended up cashing out my 401k, and liv8ng off credit card until I could get into a new job. I'm currently back making st or near what I was making, but with inflation it just isn't going as far, plus I'm now sitting on $15k of credit card debt that I am VERY slowly chipping away at. Combine that with a basically new 401k with only around $7k in it and my financial situation is bleak at the moment. I also lost the house when my ex and I separated in 21, so I'm in a scramble to get this corrected. And for althea record, the Dave Ramsey stuff only works for small emergencies. Nothing can really prepare a blue collar someone financially for an economic crash and global pandemic. I never in my life thought that by 30 I would need. A year of income in saving just in case.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

One of the benefits of a military retirement is they tend to get good cost of living increases unlike some private pensions.  But, there's more to military pay than the base pay but when you retire with 20 years, you get 1/2 of your base pay ONLY.  It's a pretty large cut in income.  Even if you go to 30 years, you get 75% of your base pay ONLY.  

View Quote

Would it be safe to assume that the cost of living increases are based on the government's reported figures?  Perhaps even the same figures that at least currently, do not seem in line with real world cost increases?  

The increases, are they given yearly?  If so, how does that time period work in a time of substantial of hyper inflation?  Wouldn't the recipient always be behind, and getting further behind every year?  If you had a situation where inflation was 20% per month, and you have to wait until January 1 of the nest year for your increase, you pension is not going to buy much after the first couple months or so.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#19]
Originally Posted By lumper:

Would it be safe to assume that the cost of living increases are based on the government's reported figures?  Perhaps even the same figures that at least currently, do not seem in line with real world cost increases?  

The increases, are they given yearly?  If so, how does that time period work in a time of substantial of hyper inflation?  Wouldn't the recipient always be behind, and getting further behind every year?  If you had a situation where inflation was 20% per month, and you have to wait until January 1 of the nest year for your increase, you pension is not going to buy much after the first couple months or so.
View Quote

Military pension cost of living increases are tied to the CPI. Is that accurate? Somewhat.  But, military retirement benefits are very consistent with their increases unlike many retirements out there.

A hyperinflationary situation, while a valid discussion, is probably outside the scope of this thread. That said, a military pension would still be a nice thing to have even during a period of hyper inflation. Some money is better than no money. A hyper inflation period would be bad for everyone including military retirees.

Military pensions are one of the most secure retirements out there. That’s part of the reason I stayed for 20 years myself. My wife and I sacrificed a lot for it though. One more secure pension is a good thing to have.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lapidary] [#20]
It's amazing what you can do when you have no debt.  When my wife and I bought our first farm we got a 15 year loan because I knew I didn't want to be making house payments at 58 years old.  Things were difficult at times and my wife wanted to refinance a few times.  I convinced her that we would be fine and could afford the things we needed in our lives.  We did fine and really never wanted for anything.  We took a couple of nice vacations in those years and I got some great DIY hunting trips in.  We had a couple of kids and paid for all of their needs as her career took off and my business expanded.  

Pick a good spouse.  Life's just a lot better when you spend it with a decent person.

Now I'm 51, we have no debt besides a 10 year note on a new farm that is secured by an inheritance.  I've got all of the toys I want, though most weren't purchased new (the fish come in over the side of an old jon boat as easily as they do over a new bass boat) and we go on vacation every year.  We could retire right now and be perfectly comfortable.  I'm not ready to retire but I can see that time approaching.

We got out of debt as soon as possible.  "But I'm only paying 3% interest on my mortgage!  Why would I pay that off when I could invest the extra money and make X% more?"  I've heard this before more times than I can count.  If it works for you great, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.  But be honest with yourself, are you going to invest it in something that will make you X% more?  Most people will spend money they don't really have on toys they don't really want to impress people they shouldn't really give a damn about rather than pay off debt.  There is also something intangible, something very liberating, about having no debt.

We invested like we didn't have a 401k.  My wife and I always invested our money as if our IRA's didn't exist.  The IRA's will just be icing on the cake when we retire.  We invested in my business and real estate mostly, but we also hustled.  If I found a deal on something that I could flip quickly I jumped on it.  Maybe it was a boat, or a trailer, or a car, whatever...if I could sell it easily I grabbed it and turned it.

Vehicles can kill you financially.  The price of new vehicles has always been insane and it's one place that I always had trouble spending money.  You are basically pissing most of that money away.  "BS, the dealership just offered me more than I paid for my 2015 Silverado with 100k miles on it!"  Great, go ahead and sell it...oh, that was offered on a trade?  Well, no shit, how much is a new truck gonna cost ya?  Nobody who matters cares if you drive a used car.  Even in today's market there are bargains to be found on cars.  Be honest with yourself, if $1000/month is going to hurt, a vehicle is the last place you should spend it.

I'm not an educated man, but I'm not unintelligent.  I learned these things, and a thousand other things that make my life better, from successful people in my life.  And I'm still learning.  Don't be afraid to ask, most successful people are happy to tell you their story.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lapidary:
It's amazing what you can do when you have no debt.  When my wife and I bought our first farm we got a 15 year loan because I knew I didn't want to be making house payments at 58 years old.  Things were difficult at times and my wife wanted to refinance a few times.  I convinced her that we would be fine and could afford the things we needed in our lives.  We did fine and really never wanted for anything.  We took a couple of nice vacations in those years and I got some great DIY hunting trips in.  We had a couple of kids and paid for all of their needs as her career took off and my business expanded.  

Pick a good spouse.  Life's just a lot better when you spend it with a decent person.

Now I'm 51, we have no debt besides a 10 year note on a new farm that is secured by an inheritance.  I've got all of the toys I want, though most weren't purchased new (the fish come in over the side of an old jon boat as easily as they do over a new bass boat) and we go on vacation every year.  We could retire right now and be perfectly comfortable.  I'm not ready to retire but I can see that time approaching.

We got out of debt as soon as possible.  "But I'm only paying 3% interest on my mortgage!  Why would I pay that off when I could invest the extra money and make X% more?"  I've heard this before more times than I can count.  If it works for you great, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.  But be honest with yourself, are you going to invest it in something that will make you X% more?  Most people will spend money they don't really have on toys they don't really want to impress people they shouldn't really give a damn about rather than pay off debt.  There is also something intangible, something very liberating, about having no debt.

We invested like we didn't have a 401k.  My wife and I always invested our money as if our IRA's didn't exist.  The IRA's will just be icing on the cake when we retire.  We invested in my business and real estate mostly, but we also hustled.  If I found a deal on something that I could flip quickly I jumped on it.  Maybe it was a boat, or a trailer, or a car, whatever...if I could sell it easily I grabbed it and turned it.

Vehicles will can kill you financially.  The price of new vehicles has always been insane and it's one place that I always had trouble spending money.  You are basically pissing most of that money away.  "BS, the dealership just offered me more than I paid for my 2015 Silverado with 100k miles on it!"  Great, go ahead and sell it...oh, that was offered on a trade?  Well, no shit, how much is a new truck gonna cost ya?  Nobody who matters cares if you drive a used car.  Even in today's market there are bargains to be found on cars.  Be honest with yourself, if $1000/month is going to hurt, a vehicle is the last place you should spend it.

I'm not an educated man, but I'm not unintelligent.  I learned these things, and a thousand other things that make my life better, from successful people in my life.  And I'm still learning.  Don't be afraid to ask, most successful people are happy to tell you their story.  

View Quote

Lots of good points.  Thanks for contributing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:24:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lapidary] [#23]
There are some great deals on cool cars from the 1980's and 1990's right now.  I have a friend now who is selling his 87 mustang convertible, 5.0, 80k miles, he's asking $5,000, he offered it to me for $3500.  Also saw a Pontiac sunbird convertible with 20k miles on it for $6000 not long ago.

STORED IN THE WINTER.

That's a subject you have to address when talking about cars.  About half of the country has conditions that will eventually destroy a car for about half of the year.  This means that you won't be able to drive those cool cars all of the time and will need a second car.  Not a problem for someone who has made sound financial decisions and has the discretionary income.

Something else to consider, the area where I live has a lot of gravel roads.  Not a problem if you only drive them occasionally, but I'm on them all the time with my truck.  Then again, the gravel roads here are in better shape than the paved roads in Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Always live well below your means.  Invest the surplus while building a cash emergency fund.  The only acceptable debt is college (if you’re going to be a professional… otherwise go into a trade) and your home.  The home should never cost more than 2x your annual income.

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Expensive undergrad + phd + a spouse with the same + not paying on it when you’re young.

Hypothetically. I had $250k and it took 12 years to dig out of that adventure.
View Quote

Professional degrees here.  I had nearly $50k in 90’s dollars.  My first position out of school was salary (no extra income for those 50-65 hour weeks) at $25,000.

Over the past 3 decades my decision (profession / education) has yielded it was absolutely the correct choice.  However, I’ve also worked away a lot of my life.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#26]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Always live well below your means.  Invest the surplus while building a cash emergency fund.  The only acceptable debt is college (if you’re going to be a professional… otherwise go into a trade) and your home.  The home should never cost more than 2x your annual income.

View Quote

Agree for the most part but not 100% in agreement on the vehicle debit. A number of years ago the wife needed another vehicle. We bought her a brand new Camry with 0% financing. We bought before the car prices skyrocketed and with 0% we definitely didn’t pay it off early. I would do that again in a heartbeat. It was a wise purchase given what we know now about the past few years of stupidity.

That said, I had a friend who used to work in finance at a dealership and a lot of people got absolutely hosed on vehicle purchases. Overpaying and then bad credit resulted in insane costs for vehicle purchases. Definitely do NOT recommend financing in those types of cases. The problem is, many people end up with bad credit and those with bad credit pay dearly for that bad credit.

I think the 2x your annual income sounds like a pretty good rule to go by. I’ve always managed to stay below that and it has worked out greatly in my favor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#27]

Agree for the most part but not 100% in agreement on the vehicle debit. A number of years ago the wife needed another vehicle. We bought her a brand new Camry with 0% financing. We bought before the car prices skyrocketed and with 0% we definitely didn’t pay it off early. I would do that again in a heartbeat. It was a wise purchase given what we know now about the past few years or stupidity.

That said, I had a friend who used to work in finance at a dealership and a lot of people got absolutely hosed on vehicle purchases. Overpaying and then bad credit resulted in insane costs for vehicle purchases. Definitely do NOT recommend financing in those types of cases. The problem is, many people end up with bad credit and those with bad credit pay dearly for that bad credit.

I think the 2x your annual income sounds like a pretty good rule to go by. I’ve always managed to stay below that and it has worked out greatly in my favor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Agree for the most part but not 100% in agreement on the vehicle debit. A number of years ago the wife needed another vehicle. We bought her a brand new Camry with 0% financing. We bought before the car prices skyrocketed and with 0% we definitely didn’t pay it off early. I would do that again in a heartbeat. It was a wise purchase given what we know now about the past few years or stupidity.

Good luck buying anything decent for less than 2x your gross in today's market. Likely closer to 3x.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#28]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Good luck buying anything decent for less than 2x your gross in today's market. Likely closer to 3x.
View Quote

You’re probably right at the moment depending on the area. I built two houses with the first one in 2007 and the second one in 2015. Prices were down then and we rolled the money from our first house (not one we built) into the first new construction house and then rolled the money from that house into our current one. We never treated our house like a bank so didn’t pull money out of it and let the equity build. That enabled us to have a nice house in the country WELL below our annual income. We also did a ton of work ourselves on the house so that saved countless dollars as well. We bought the property years before we built on it and then slowly improved it as we could and paid cash for every improvement (shop building and drilled a well).

In my area today, I could buy a house around 2x our annual income. It wouldn’t be anything special but it would be a decent area and probably need some work. Wife and I make a respectable living but we aren’t rich. Prices for houses in my area are way up but not crazy like some places.

In my opinion the best thing my friend mentioned in the first post should do would be to sell his 5br 3ba house (for 2 people)  while the market is good. He should come out with a nice profit even today. Then, if he can’t find a decent smaller house, rent for awhile till prices fall. Sell his expensive camper and if they really want a camper, buy a smaller and cheaper one. Possibly sell the truck and buy something cheaper. However, instead of doing that, he and his wife are working longer and longer hours to pay for their toys and now have to work more years instead of retiring and enjoying life.

Poster above said it well….by acting rich they have made themselves poor and don’t even realize it. The potential problem I see if they sell the house and sit on the money for awhile is….many people are unable to see money in an account and resist the temptation to spend it. If my friend took my advice, I’d give him at least 50/50 odds he and his wife would spend the money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#29]
This is a thread similar to many that @frozenny has posted in the past.  It's not my story but is a story of a friend of mine.  

Most people ignore financial threads.  It's a shame because we may seldom or never use our stored food, ammo, and our endless power generation gadgets but we ALL need money to live.  You might get your money from your job, your trust fund, welfare, or handouts from drivers passing by your spot at an intersection holding up a "need help God bless" sign.  But regardless of where your income comes from, you gotta have money.  And, as you get older, you will likely (most people) have less and less income and less ability to make money (we all age and it sucks).  So, having retirement income streams is critical if you want to live comfortably.  Also, reducing living costs will make your retirement income go longer...and potentially allow you to have more retirement "play" money.  

So my friend....he's about 56 yrs old.  He recently had issues at work (specifics on that are not relevant but he did get treated very poorly) and he was demoted.  As a result, he took about a 25% pay cut.  Luckily for him he stayed employed.  

My friend lives in a new and fairly large and somewhat expensive house in a nice city.  It's just him and his wife.  They have large utility bills and a fairly large house payment.   He has $70k truck he purchased about 2 years ago.  He has a large $40k camper he bought last year.  Don't know if he has any credit card debt but I'd bet he does because they have done several European vacations over the past few years.  His ego naturally took a hit with the demotion and he would like to leave.  However, there's part of the problem.  At his previous job, when he left it in the mid 2000s, he cashed out all his retirements and used the money to pay bills.  So, he has his current retirement but only about 17 years or so of contributions to it.  He can retire now based on his age (pension) but his monthly check would only be about $1500 so $18k per year PRE-TAX.  He will have social security but the earliest he can collect it as far as I know is 62 yrs old.  

His wife does make a good living so he's got that going for him.  

Basically....HE'S FUCKED.  He now has to work till he's 65 yrs old in order to boost his work retirement and delay taking SS so he can get more from SS as well as become eligible for Medicare.  

In talking to him initially, he was stressed to the max and was talking about selling stuff (smart).  But, instead of selling stuff, they have decided his wife will pick up extra shifts at her job and he is exploring side income jobs to make up the difference.  Between the two of them, they will be able to make up the difference.  

Despite the 25% income drop, he's still making good money for the area.  Between him and his wife, they are well above the median income for the area.  So, as far as dollars coming in, they are still in good shape even without working extra hours (if they got rid of some of their frivolous debt).  The problem is, they have too many dollars going out.  Too much and expensive of a house.  Too expensive toys.  Too much debt.

The sad part is, instead of reducing costs, they have decided to work more hours.  They definitely can't retire early and now have decided to work longer hours to pay for their expensive stuff and let's be honest....working long hours was easy when we were young but it's not easier as we get older.  

Most of us realistically will never be rich and we will not retire into a beach mansion in the FL Keys and do multiple expensive vacation trips per year.  But, most of us would like to retire (or at least slow down working) as we get older.  My friend mentioned above will most likely be in for a rude awakening as he gets closer to 65 years old if he doesn't change his ways and knowing him, he will probably change nothing.  He and his wife have become slaves to their possessions due to excessive debt.

View Quote

What you make is never as important as what you spend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Vehicles are an interesting topic.   Its something most of us can't live without.   For many, is the second highest investment in their life at any given time.   I'm going to blow a few minds.  

Life is just too damn short with all the time we spend in cars to buy boring.   Worse, no matter how long it lasts boring will just devaluate to nothing, zero.   What people seldom think of is exciting vehicles at a worst case will devalue to a point and no lower.  An old example of that is 4x4s which are no matter what kind typically worth more than blah car on rip off Bob's car lot.  Desirable cars on the other hand will be worth more and collectables will actually gain value.   Being able to simply buy collectables well just isn't that easy especially new especially now.   The high entry prices now helps those who bought before but almost insures those who are just now investing will be damn near dead before their investment breaks even.  

A little lesson I actually learned from those who live in CA and quite frankly a lot of older folks when I was younger.   The folks in CA and for that matter quite a few more blue states have a very high property tax on vehicles so they buy old, mostly collectables, and restore them.   There's some damn fine cool cars rolling around in those states, daily drivers.  

It all starts with understanding its a machine and a machine like a tractor on a farm no matter what brand can last forever as long as you repair it.   OK, you should be thinking most people do that.   Where they screw up is not understanding when the repair burden gets too high, its not time to sell but time to restore.   That takes us full circle right back to the initial investment.   If its blah, you aren't going to want to restore it because you won't break even financially because there's tons of ones just like it out there and their cost is very low.  

People need to ask themselves, if a vehicle is my 2nd highest personal investment, why the hell am I first buying boring and second not looking at recoupling as much of my investment as possible?    God, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I feel for the guy who tells me he bought blah whatever and got hundreds of thousands of miles on it.   He's been in a POS for years and despite not making this many payments his initial investment is shit.  The guy who follows his value and trades when he's ahead of his loan is better off than he is and that's not good either.   That's not any better than the guy who resigns himself to that payment and leases, very close anyway.  

Let me give you an alternative.   Every vehicle you buy think two ways.  First, its an investment.  What will be its value down the line and will it reach a point it bottoms then goes up.   Next and this is very radical, I plan on keeping it forever and never selling it.   Hint, you won't buying boring or for that matter luxury throw aways.  

Yeah I'm one of those got four vehicles types.  The difference though is I am retired not going to be, all of them are paid for (Heck only financed one of them), and all of them as of today and far as I can see into the future are and will be worth more than I paid for them.   Retired you don't commute and mileage spread out over multiple vehicles is a big factor.   When Biff says I got this many hundred thousands of miles on my blah car, I think I don't have a hundred thousand of miles on all of mine put together.   Better, this one will pull a house, this one I romp on it at 80mph it will try to throw you in the back seat, and this one the top goes down and will take a curve like a snake.  

One learns from their mistakes in life and dang did I make my share on vehicles.   The wife and I both are motor heads so we enjoy them and gladly gave up those ocean cruises for a hot car.   That said, bored with the car show scene, I never should have sold my Dodge Chargers, 69 and 73.  I double my investment at the time but dang it'd be triple now.  Man the money I flat out blew on trade and buy a new one blah cars.   One thing these guys on here have right is don't do that.  

Last bit of advice on vehicles.  For God's sake, if you spend ten of thousands on a vehicle take care of it.  Wash it, wax it, and pull the maintenance on it even preventative maintenance.  Nobody is going to give a shit how many miles you have on a POS but even a blah car can turn heads if its sharp as a tack.

Tj
View Quote

I treat cars as consumables like groceries. I have never had a new car, typically buying used around 80k miles. Then I drove them into the ground over the next 5-7 years.

Motorcycles I will buy new or used though, life is too short to not enjoy it while you can… saving everything for a rainy day sounds good on paper but some things can’t be done or enjoyed when you are older.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Motorcycles I will buy new or used though, life is too short to not enjoy it while you can… saving everything for a rainy day sounds good on paper but some things can’t be done or enjoyed when you are older.
View Quote

this is also true. I was mag dumping 300BO yesterday because 1) I want to and 2) I'm on vacation and 3) when my financial ducks are in a row, you can waste the remaining money without feeling "too" bad about it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#32]
This is a thread similar to many that @frozenny has posted in the past.  It's not my story but is a story of a friend of mine.  

Most people ignore financial threads.  It's a shame because we may seldom or never use our stored food, ammo, and our endless power generation gadgets but we ALL need money to live.  You might get your money from your job, your trust fund, welfare, or handouts from drivers passing by your spot at an intersection holding up a "need help God bless" sign.  But regardless of where your income comes from, you gotta have money.  And, as you get older, you will likely (most people) have less and less income and less ability to make money (we all age and it sucks).  So, having retirement income streams is critical if you want to live comfortably.  Also, reducing living costs will make your retirement income go longer...and potentially allow you to have more retirement "play" money.  

So my friend....he's about 56 yrs old.  He recently had issues at work (specifics on that are not relevant but he did get treated very poorly) and he was demoted.  As a result, he took about a 25% pay cut.  Luckily for him he stayed employed.  

My friend lives in a new and fairly large and somewhat expensive house in a nice city.  It's just him and his wife.  They have large utility bills and a fairly large house payment.   He has $70k truck he purchased about 2 years ago.  He has a large $40k camper he bought last year.  Don't know if he has any credit card debt but I'd bet he does because they have done several European vacations over the past few years.  His ego naturally took a hit with the demotion and he would like to leave.  However, there's part of the problem.  At his previous job, when he left it in the mid 2000s, he cashed out all his retirements and used the money to pay bills.  So, he has his current retirement but only about 17 years or so of contributions to it.  He can retire now based on his age (pension) but his monthly check would only be about $1500 so $18k per year PRE-TAX.  He will have social security but the earliest he can collect it as far as I know is 62 yrs old.  

His wife does make a good living so he's got that going for him.  

Basically....HE'S FUCKED.  He now has to work till he's 65 yrs old in order to boost his work retirement and delay taking SS so he can get more from SS as well as become eligible for Medicare.  

In talking to him initially, he was stressed to the max and was talking about selling stuff (smart).  But, instead of selling stuff, they have decided his wife will pick up extra shifts at her job and he is exploring side income jobs to make up the difference.  Between the two of them, they will be able to make up the difference.  

Despite the 25% income drop, he's still making good money for the area.  Between him and his wife, they are well above the median income for the area.  So, as far as dollars coming in, they are still in good shape even without working extra hours (if they got rid of some of their frivolous debt).  The problem is, they have too many dollars going out.  Too much and expensive of a house.  Too expensive toys.  Too much debt.

The sad part is, instead of reducing costs, they have decided to work more hours.  They definitely can't retire early and now have decided to work longer hours to pay for their expensive stuff and let's be honest....working long hours was easy when we were young but it's not easier as we get older.  

Most of us realistically will never be rich and we will not retire into a beach mansion in the FL Keys and do multiple expensive vacation trips per year.  But, most of us would like to retire (or at least slow down working) as we get older.  My friend mentioned above will most likely be in for a rude awakening as he gets closer to 65 years old if he doesn't change his ways and knowing him, he will probably change nothing.  He and his wife have become slaves to their possessions due to excessive debt.

View Quote

I don't get the part in bold in red.
Was he going to retire early?

Myself, I don't see retiring at all.  I like working and I do what I want now
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By colossians323:

I don't get the part in bold in red.
Was he going to retire early?

Myself, I don't see retiring at all.  I like working and I do what I want now
View Quote

He won’t make enough money in retirement at the moment to pay his bills even though he has enough years to be able to retire. So, by working longer and delaying taking his retirement, he can get more from his retirement once he actually retires. He also can delay taking SS and become eligible for Medicare. Since he doesn’t have enough at 56, he can’t retire. He would go bankrupt shortly after retiring if he did.

If you want to retire, your bills have to be below what your retirement income will be. He is not even close to that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#35]

He won’t make enough money in retirement at the moment to pay his bills even though he has enough years to be able to retire. So, by working longer and delaying taking his retirement, he can get more from his retirement once he actually retires. He also can delay taking SS and become eligible for Medicare. Since he doesn’t have enough at 56, he can’t retire. He would go bankrupt shortly after retiring if he did.

If you want to retire, your bills have to be below what your retirement income will be. He is not even close to that.
View Quote

The problem is ……. There may be no social security in 2034.

The government warned us a few months ago that SSI would be completely wiped out by then unless congress acts. As it is with current spending levels, FICA taxes would have to be raised to 18%to meet current spending levels.

There will have to be drastic changes for anyone to get their mailbox money by then. I see means testing coming at a minimum to get them by, but what I really think is that there is no way in hell the .gov is going to let granny starve and go homeless while there are 401k’sb and IRA’s to take without consent.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#36]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

The problem is ……. There may be no social security in 2034.

The government warned us a few months ago that SSI would be completely wiped out by then unless congress acts. As it is with current spending levels, FICA taxes would have to be raised to 18%to meet current spending levels.

There will have to be drastic changes for anyone to get their mailbox money by then. I see means testing coming at a minimum to get them by, but what I really think is that there is no way in hell the .gov is going to let granny starve and go homeless while there are 401k’sb and IRA’s to take without consent.
View Quote

Actually, the government has been saying for YEARS there is a finance problem with SS. But to be clear, SS won’t be out of money. It simply won’t have enough coming in to cover full promises. With no changes, SS will be able to pay me 70% of promised payments for the rest of my life. Part of the reason politicians aren’t in a hurry to “fix” SS is there is a built in mechanism when the income drops below payments. It’s an automatic 30% cut in payments.

Now….it’s anyone’s guess what will happen when it gets to that point. I suspect the fix will be tax increases combined with benefit decreases but that’s only speculation on my part. Means testing is an interesting proposal but I think the screaming will be way too loud for that to happen. I might be wrong. Not sure.

Despite every big government haters wet dream of SS going away….it isn’t. I’m not a fan of it in principle either but….as we can see from this thread….both my stories and other stories posted….MOST people are terrible about planning for retirement. My dad….his whole life he “preached” about the evils of SS and how he would never see a penny. He’s in his 70s now and living…wait for it….on SS AND NOTHING ELSE. A LOT of people are like him. Society will not tolerate old people living on dog food and starving in the streets. Maybe that’s what they deserve for failing to plan…but society will not allow it. Right, wrong, indifferent….doesn’t matter. We are not going to tolerate it as a society.

Now how to look at SS as someone who is a ways away from getting it….NEVER plan on it as a primary income stream. Every statement I get from SS says that. I do not know if I will get anything from SS but I think I will. How much…not a clue. But when I do the math for my retirements, I treat SS as bonus money and only ever use 70% of my promised payment for “planning” purposes. I am assuming it won’t be there when I get there so I don’t NEED it but if it is, that’s just a bonus.

If you 100% believe SS will not be there for you….then you better double and triple your retirement contributions. Funny thing about many people who say SS won’t be there for them….they aren’t increasing their retirement contributions at all.

Good discussion in this thread and I appreciate everyone’s useful contributions. I’ve actually been having similar conversations with coworkers who I like and it’s sad to see how many people haven’t put a single thought into retiring. I was no different when I was young…I was healthy and invincible. I’m not any more. Luckily I did some reading on my own and had a few people who cared enough about me to educate me on the importance of planning for retirement.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#37]
If you 100% believe SS will not be there for you….then you better double and triple your retirement contributions. Funny thing about many people who say SS won’t be there for them….they aren’t increasing their retirement contributions at all.
View Quote
Most of the people I see who say that SS will be 100% gone, but do not prepare accordingly.... don't understand how it works, and want everything to fail so everyone can be as financially miserable as they will be.  Or, they think that small amount of silver and gold they have socked away will save them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#38]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Most of the people I see who say that SS will be 100% gone, but do not prepare accordingly.... don't understand how it works, and want everything to fail so everyone can be as financially miserable as they will be.  Or, they think that small amount of silver and gold they have socked away will save them.
View Quote

You’re probably right. Funny thing is….for people who didn’t set up their own retirement (whatever type it is) but secretly want SS to fail…if SS fails, they will be suffering far more than those who at least had something other than SS.

I could see a type of means testing where they give 100% to those who have nothing outside of SS and anyone who does have their own retirement plan will get a reduced amount. I see that as a way to try to make SS financial solvent in a manner that will get the least screaming. I would be annoyed to not get what was promised but if I got something and then have my existing retirement plans, I’d probably accept that as the new reality and go on with life and I think a lot of people would do the same.  I’m still not planning for it to be there (nor do I need it)  so if it is, that’s a little extra money to go toward retirement recreation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually, the government has been saying for YEARS there is a finance problem with SS. But to be clear, SS won’t be out of money. It simply won’t have enough coming in to cover full promises. With no changes, SS will be able to pay me 70% of promised payments for the rest of my life. Part of the reason politicians aren’t in a hurry to “fix” SS is there is a built in mechanism when the income drops below payments. It’s an automatic 30% cut in payments.
View Quote

Is the part in bold in the law or on the SSA web site somewhere I can reference?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#40]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Is the part in bold in the law or on the SSA web site somewhere I can reference?
View Quote

SSA annual report

It’s painful

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ssir/SSI23/ssi2023.pdf

Dated info so specific dates and details have changed since then.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v70n3/v70n3p111.html

SS can’t borrow money to cover shortfalls (thankfully). Their only option, unless Congress and the President take action, is to cut benefits. The specific percentage seems to change slightly from report to report. 70-77% cut seems to be the common estimate. Current date SS “trust fund” runs out is 2033. I believe SS payments vs money in went into the red in 2021.

It keeps changing so none of this is certain but it’s coming.

Also, I am by no means an expert on SS so if I have come across that way, feel free to disagree. I certainly won’t take it personally. The above info is what I base my long term financial planning on but things can and likely will change.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:48:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#42]
My understanding is the SS Administration has responsibility to run both SSDI and SSI in addition to regular SS payments. You are only eligible for SSDI payments if you have sufficient work history to qualify….meaning you have worked and earned enough “quarters” to qualify. You are eligible for SSI even if you have never worked. The difference is, SSI is not funded from SS contributions. So, all the perfectly healthy people getting it aren’t being funded from the actual SS funds but via general welfare funds.

Funny thing about anti big government people…some want to privatize SS. But they then complain about mandatory SS contributions “it’s a tax”. But, if we did privatize it…which I am for…they would still need to make it mandatory to contribute. If they didn’t, the average person would just spend the money and then we are right back to old people starving.

As much as I dislike government solutions to things….we as a society will not tolerate grandma starving. I dislike the SS system in principle but it’s not going away so we might as well make it as efficient as possible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#43]
If your a guy in just ok health! Retire as early as possible!  

Prolonging it doesn't benefit much
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#44]
OST
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#45]
Here’s another one I have seen coming for awhile but it’s just now happening. Found out new details yesterday.

My brother in law and his wife are good people. I like them both and we all get along well. But, ever since I’ve known them they have made poor financial decisions.

They built a house about 15 years ago. They would have built it a few years sooner but they had too high of a debt to income ratio and the bank wouldn’t loan them the money. They reduced their debt just below the bank’s requirements and the bank loaned them the money.

He has a 401k from a past employer. I don’t know how much money is in the account but I fear he probably has taken money from it. I know he borrowed from it at least once. But I don’t know the specifics.

Over the past 15 or so years, they have treated their current house like a bank account. They keep borrowing money on it. The money has gone to buy vehicles and vacations. Nothing extravagant but still bad planning. I don’t know exactly how much debt they have on their house but I know it’s quite a bit. Also, it’s an all electric house that is poorly insulated (because they were at the top of their budget to build it so they cut corners on insulation). As a result, their utility bills are very high. Easily triple what the utility bills on my house are.

He is now 61 yrs old and she’s 59. They are getting close to wanting to retire. But, they can’t. Too much debt. Apparently they recently decided to do the math on their projected retirement income (should have done that a LONG time ago). It’s not enough money. Even with SS they will barely be scraping by.

They decided to have a realtor come out and look at the house. Their idea was to sell the current house and move into a smaller house (their house now isn’t big but it’s just the two of them so they can downsize). Their idea was to sell the current house and hopefully walk away with enough money to buy another house with cash. The problem is, they owe too much on the current house. The realtor told them they need too much out of their house and will never be able to get close to what they need to accomplish their goals of buying another house with cash.

So….here’s another case of too much debt strangling them about the time they want to retire. I’m guessing they will each have to work till they are at least 65 yrs old to have some semblance of a so so retirement.

I’ve seen this coming for years. I like my brother in law but he never wants to listen to advice so I now just shake my head. They have basically spent their retirement money before they retired. They have some retirement account money and will get SS so they won’t be eating dog food but they also won’t be able to do as much in retirement as they would like to because they have too much debt this late in life.

Don’t be like them!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Here’s another one I have seen coming for awhile but it’s just now happening. Found out new details yesterday.

My brother in law and his wife are good people. I like them both and we all get along well. But, ever since I’ve known them they have made poor financial decisions.

They built a house about 15 years ago. They would have built it a few years sooner but they had too high of a debt to income ratio and the bank wouldn’t loan them the money. They reduced their debt just below the bank’s requirements and the bank loaned them the money.

He has a 401k from a past employer. I don’t know how much money is in the account but I fear he probably has taken money from it. I know he borrowed from it at least once. But I don’t know the specifics.

Over the past 15 or so years, they have treated their current house like a bank account. They keep borrowing money on it. The money has gone to buy vehicles and vacations. Nothing extravagant but still bad planning. I don’t know exactly how much debt they have on their house but I know it’s quite a bit. Also, it’s an all electric house that is poorly insulated (because they were at the top of their budget to build it so they cut corners on insulation). As a result, their utility bills are very high. Easily triple what the utility bills on my house are.

He is now 61 yrs old and she’s 59. They are getting close to wanting to retire. But, they can’t. Too much debt. Apparently they recently decided to do the math on their projected retirement income (should have done that a LONG time ago). It’s not enough money. Even with SS they will barely be scraping by.

They decided to have a realtor come out and look at the house. Their idea was to sell the current house and move into a smaller house (their house now isn’t big but it’s just the two of them so they can downsize). Their idea was to sell the current house and hopefully walk away with enough money to buy another house with cash. The problem is, they owe too much on the current house. The realtor told them they need too much out of their house and will never be able to get close to what they need to accomplish their goals of buying another house with cash.

So….here’s another case of too much debt strangling them about the time they want to retire. I’m guessing they will each have to work till they are at least 65 yrs old to have some semblance of a so so retirement.

I’ve seen this coming for years. I like my brother in law but he never wants to listen to advice so I now just shake my head. They have basically spent their retirement money before they retired. They have some retirement account money and will get SS so they won’t be eating dog food but they also won’t be able to do as much in retirement as they would like to because they have too much debt this late in life.

Don’t be like them!!
View Quote

If they're able to retire at 65, then they're doing much better than the average American household.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

If they're able to retire at 65, then they're doing much better than the average American household.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Don’t be like them!!

That's kinda what I got from it.  Being able to retire at age 65 when you do not get a gravy pension, is pretty good for most people.  These people should probably wait until he is 67 to get FRA SS benefits, with her hitting 65 for Medicare.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#48]

View Quote

I don’t think they are doing horrible but they could be doing FAR better with better financial planning. I agree they are better than quite a few Americans but they are also not NEARLY as financially stable as they could have been.

They wanted to retire early but due to poor financial planning, they can’t. They probably could have if they planned better but they didn’t. Sucks but they made their decisions so they have to live with the consequences.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#49]
It has been touched on already, but one of the largest issues I see around here is divorce.  So many of the guys fussing about not being able to retire have had 3 or 4 divorces.

Even a jug head like me realizes that if you split everything you have in half 3 or 4 times, even if you are Dave Ramsey, you don't have much left.  It REALLY hurts when you have no financial IQ.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DocGP:
It has been touched on already, but one of the largest issues I see around here is divorce.  So many of the guys fussing about not being able to retire have had 3 or 4 divorces.

Even a jug head like me realizes that if you split everything you have in half 3 or 4 times, even if you are Dave Ramsey, you don't have much left.  It REALLY hurts when you have no financial IQ.

Doc
View Quote

This, so much this.

Young people will never truly understand how much a divorce can cost them down the road once a certain number of years have passed. ''Cheaper to keep her'' really is a thing even if she is a jabba the hut couch sloth.

I'd be an EASY 1/2-3/4 million up if it wasn't for my first wife and we were only married 7 years.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top