Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Cross country move at the end of last year wiped out some money and supplies, especially since we were in a 900sq foot apartment for a few months.

But recently I’ve been able to do the following:

Helmet mounted NV and practiced with it
Upgraded CCW with training
Freezers bursting
Gas stocked for genset
Pantry is full
Toilet paper is stocked to last at least a year
Ammo organized and mags loaded for go tos
Built a solid bug out trailer

Yesterday I made the choice/mistake to watch Contagion. Damn it’s scary how much it’s like this year. That got me off my ass to fill the rain barrels I got a few weeks ago. Will be building a filtration/self filling set up but in the mean time it’s hose water.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Been reading about the American Revolution lately.  Currently it is, The British are Coming by Rick Atkinson.

Seem like a lot of parallels between then and now.  The current paradigm seems more Patriot/Tory than it does Blue/Grey.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in hurricane territory ,  and suburbia

I have the wooden plywood ( https://plylox.com/ )ready for the front windows of the house that face the street ...  

I am waiting for this company (https://armorglass.com/) to come out and install  their product on all windows in my house in the next few days...  - the demo videos are quite impressive -

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gettingstarted:

I have the wooden plywood ( https://plylox.com/ )ready for the front windows of the house that face the street ...  

I am waiting for this company (https://armorglass.com/) to come out and install  their product on all windows in my house in the next few days...  - the demo videos are quite impressive -

View Quote
I just checked armorglass, it looks pretty good. If you don't mind me asking what are you getting installed and how much?

I been thinking about getting my windows treated, I have a large bay window in the front I want to get treated
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I just had a quote done today for 3m security film for the entire house. Looking at an install date of 3 weeks out
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mkd66204:

I just had a quote done today for 3m security film for the entire house. Looking at an install date of 3 weeks out
View Quote
Mind giving me some details on pricing? I'm wondering how much it would cost to do my house
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mkd66204] [#7]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Mind giving me some details on pricing? I'm wondering how much it would cost to do my house
View Quote

So I'm doing a combination of different films.  I'm doing 8 mil security film with no tint on some windows for about $12 a square foot.  Some windows (ones that get a bunch of sun) we're doing the same but with tint for $16 a square foot.  

They charge $9 a linear foot for the attachment system which we're doing on sliding glass door due to it being tempered but not the rest.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]

So I'm doing a combination of different films.  I'm doing 8 mil security film with no tint on some windows for about $12 a square foot.  Some windows (ones that get a bunch of sun) we're doing the same but with tint for $16 a square foot.  

They charge $9 a linear foot for the attachment system which we're doing on sliding glass door due to it being tempered but not the rest.
View Quote
Thanks for the info, it gives me an idea of what it costs. Now I need to find someone local who can do it for me
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#9]

View Quote

It works good but I still got through it with enough determination
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
I just checked armorglass, it looks pretty good. If you don't mind me asking what are you getting installed and how much?

I been thinking about getting my windows treated, I have a large bay window in the front I want to get treated
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

here is my quote from a few years ago   I am waiting for updated pricing
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181135/armor_JPG-1485781.JPG

here is my quote from a few years ago   I am waiting for updated pricing
View Quote
Oh that's not as bad as I thought
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Over the last few months I built a COVID urban carry bag that has everything from a portable phone charger to additional PPE and snacking food.  Basically if I got a phone call to drive across the state for some reason and couldn't get home, this would be all I needed.

Over the last few days: Built an two IFAK's, one that went into the above mentioned bag.  Other went into range bag.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Acquired night vision.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Added 100 lbs of beans into storage. Sealed mylar in 5lb increments, and then placed in 4 buckets with lids.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought my first ever pistol. RIA 1911 9mm and 400 rounds of ball ammo to start. Have 50 kilos of rice squared away, a 100 or so canned fish and meat.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
refurbished and deep cleaned a garage fridge/freezer. This will be mostly for drinks and more accessed stuff. That frees up room in the chest freezer and will let us buy more in bulk.

Also got my wife convinced we need a vacuum sealer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]
harvesting lbs and lbs of green beans, yellow squash, zucchini.  Blanching and freezing or dehydrating lots and lots.  I don't think the Excalibur dehydrator has had much downtime for about six days now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Harvested and tore out the broccoli, peas, and spinach beds.  Tilled in some compost and put in another planting of tomatoes in their place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Saw a guy a few miles down the road loading up a small dump truck with manure being scooped up from a temporary cattle pen in his field near the road yesterday.  Stopped and asked him if he had plans for it and he said nope he was just gonna dump it in a far corner away from his house.  I asked him if he'd dump it down at my house instead and he said sure thing.  This morning while I was out picking some green beans, tomatoes, and the omnipresent zukes he came up the road.  I directed him to a spot near my existing compost pile and he dumped it.  I figure I'll let it sit till fall when the leaves are dropping in abundance and incorporate both into my compost piles.  I offered him some money for his time and fuel and he said the tomatoes looked better to him, so he left with a small sack.  A win/win
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
got a free fridge/freezer last week. The fridge wasn't getting cold but the freezer was. Learned a bunch, fixed it up. Now I have a fridge/freezer in the house, a deep freezer in the garage, and a bonus fridge/freezer in the garage. Going to fill it with something, not sure what yet. Can I use the fridge as a cool/dry place for rice and beans and shit?

Also ordered body armor

I've been walking the dog around the block every day with a small jerry can full of water in a backpack to get ready for running around with the weight of plates.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXGunnersM8] [#21]
Not prepping so much, but testing preps. I've been in quarantine for a couple weeks due to a COVID exposure and haven't needed anything. I'll have to restock food when I'm done, but it's been good to go so far.

ETA: I spent 3 hours refilling my water bottles with a Brita pitcher
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The chicken I bought today is now vacuum sealed and in my chest freezer.   I am reallllllllly good at playing tetris !!  

then I realized that i have not emptied my chest freezer in a while  ......

I went through my chest freezer-  found a bunch of chicken from 2010  ( yes, 2010)  thawing it out to see if it any good....

I need to do better on rotating stock
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Another poster linked this in GD Woot Excalibur Dehydrator

Decided to break down and buy one
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheRubberDuck:
Another poster linked this in GD Woot Excalibur Dehydrator

Decided to break down and buy one
View Quote

that's an extremely good deal on a Tier 1 dehydrator.  I've got a 5-tray and that's less than I paid.  Hell I'm thinking about snagging one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

that's an extremely good deal on a Tier 1 dehydrator.  I've got a 5-tray and that's less than I paid.  Hell I'm thinking about snagging one.
View Quote

That’s what I was thinking, I just happened to recently start looking at them. I think that model is $280ish on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I went through my chest freezer-  found a bunch of chicken from 2010  ( yes, 2010)  thawing it out to see if it any good....

I need to do better on rotating stock
View Quote

BTDT made Instant Pot chili out of it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

BTDT made Instant Pot chili out of it.
View Quote

It actually looked pretty good  once partially  thawed.  So separated it into a more manageable portion size from the original packing/ placed it in zip lock bags and it is now on the top of my chest freezer to be used.  

I did notice that some chicken I bought a few months ago from wllywrld  that is individually sealed and then in a bulk sale bag is looking much better than what I normally buy from the local grocery store in shrink wrapped flat trays....

I also replaced the gasket on my vacuum sealer and ordered a bunch more rolls of bag material.. all new purchases will be vacuum sealed if in the flat shrink wrapped packing ..  

I am also thinking of breaking out my dehydrator and making some jerky for dry storage .
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Selling guns in odd calibers or guns that I know I haven't shot in a decade or more.  Did three ftf transactions yesterday evening.  Part of me is saying "hell no don't sell ANY gun right now" but the rational part of me says "sell what hasn't been touched in forever and put the money into useful preps"
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]
bought mylar and O2 absorbent for the first time yesterday. this morning bagged and sealed just shy of 100 pounds of rice and beans. I think my wife is starting to think I'm weird and to be fair, I'm getting there myself...
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm late to the party so I'll cover the last month.

-Consolidated/Inventoried/Loaded mags and gear for all weapons. Came of with game plans for deployment and resupply

-Ordered an AK-74 and mags and ammo, wanted a 74 and more ammo options always help IMO

-Purchased a few cases of water and inventoried dry food

-Purchased more batteries for appliances and lights

-Fiancé and I finally starting gardening and growing stuff. We have bell peppers, hot peppers, and Cherry Tomatoes.

Yea, that's it for now. I live in Florida, I should be more prepared lol
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Broke down and got the WonderMill and 50#s of wheat berries.  Will probably get more if I can find a local source.

Put a deposit down for two Tesla powerwalls.

Bought a bunch more Costco mountain house #10 cans

Cooked and prepped more meals to feed the freeze dryer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:55:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#32]
Originally Posted By miglo:
Broke down and got the WonderMill and 50#s of wheat berries.  Will probably get more if I can find a local source.

Put a deposit down for two Tesla powerwalls.

Bought a bunch more Costco mountain house #10 cans

Cooked and prepped more meals to feed the freeze dryer.
View Quote

Keep an eye on Amazon and Augason Farms. I scored eight of their 24# sealed pails of Hard White Winter Wheat Berries for $18 each SHIPPED in May. Makes excellent bread.

Looks like they're discounted again and selling for $37... still twice what alot of us paid over in TEAM.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#34]

What's "Rice Cold"?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:

What's "Rice Cold"?
View Quote

It was cold when I packed it since I heard to freeze it before you store.  Not sure if that will have any effects. But I wanted to know which these were so I could test
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Gotcha, that makes sense
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#38]
Originally Posted By XxSLASHERxX:
Ordered 1000 more rounds of 6.5 Grendel

ordered 5 more 6.5 Grendel 25 round mags.

Divorce cost me all I had this year. I had to liquidate all guns and ammo.

Rebuilding now... terrible time to have to do it. But I have no choice with the way things are.

View Quote

@XxSLASHERxX

That's fucking horrible dude. Been there done that. What are you short on? I might be able to help with a few odds and ends at salad day pricing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Building the chicken palace. Procured windows, siding, roofing materials.

Bought more leather work gloves- we go through 3-4 pair a year.

Brought home about a hundred pounds of nails from yard sales.

Still cutting firewood.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Ordered some more NATO cans. Decided to standardize on them instead of Scepter MFCs since the MFCs have become so hard to get and are now grossly inflated on price when you can actually find them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettingstarted] [#42]
Had a break from the rain today and realized I was overdue to change the oil out in my 20kw NG Generac standby.

Ran it for about 30 min to get everything nice and warm  ...  

Drained out the regular oil and pulled the oil filter . Oil looked a tad browner that I thought it should but still looked ok and flowed ok ..  

I am now using full synthetic oil  as of today ( I used amazon oil )   two quarts of 5w-30  in and a factory oil filter .

Will let it do its auto run/test thing for a month or so if no need for a real run..  then will do another oil change to confirm everything is ok ..  at that time will also replace spark plugs and look at air filter .

Generac says change oil every 40-50 hrs..( new gennys info say 2 yr or 200 hrs)     As  of today after my oil change ...  I have 114 hrs total run time for a unit that was installed @ 2011  ...  

The area my house is in was affected by IKE and Katrina  and lost power for WEEKS both times...   so when I bought the house it was on my priority list...    still would rather have it vs not have it !    

I also ran my portable gas genny to get some hours on it in preparation to install a tri fuel kit from US Carb.. I do not have enough time on it based on their recommendations before doing the conversion.    

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I despise the USPS.  I ordered some of the "zip tie" style new fangled ( to me) wound closures to put in the med kit. Nope. It's been three weeks. I'm looking for case deals on water at our local stores as we're a good ways from  a Costco or Sams Club.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Closing tomorrow on a refi and rolled some legal debt into it.  Getting sued sucks.  The refi will save about $500/mo in interest.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Ran a land nav course yesterday for four friends.  We’d done some classroom work previously. Yesterday’s course was a mock rescue of a downed pilot with the Covid cure. Covered a lot of areas -  finding, shooting and walking azimuths, pace counts, plotting points, declination conversion, terrain association, hand rails, backstops, and even deliberate offset. Everyone did a great job. About four miles total, mostly cross country.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought some more Canning Salt, 22 dozen rings, 2 dozen Quart jars, 2 dozen Pint jars, 2 gallons of Vinegar
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#47]
Got a Tetanus shot today as its been 10 years. How long has it been since YOU had one?

Nows the time to catch up on some of the vaccinations you may be behind on. It cost me nothing at Walgreens, free with my wife's insurance, $75 if paying cash.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#48]
Ordered a sealed pail of chickpeas, 33 pounds and having them get me a 25 pound bag chickpeas.  At the local Mennonite store today, I bought 5 pounds each of navy beans, black turtle beans, and small red beans and going to seal in mylar.  Also, about 2 pounds of baking cocoa and pound of yeast.

Got some assorted spices, oh, and some oatmeal raisin cookies and snickerdoodles.  

Picking up my new IWI Masada tomorrow and have extra mags and a holster coming.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
Got a Tetanus shot today as its been 10 years. How long has it been since YOU had one?

Nows the time to catch up on some of the vaccinations you may be behind on. It cost me nothing at Walgreens, free with my wife's insurance, $75 if paying cash.
View Quote

Got mine as well, definitely more important than people give it credit for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#50]
Originally Posted By Silkyjla30:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Silkyjla30:
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Yup, I had to travel for work to India about 5 years ago and received vaccinations for TB, HEP A, HEP B, Typhoid and Yellow Fever. Considering getting the gauntlet again if it looks like we're headed for some kind of collapse.

Fucking HEP A made me dizzy for the rest of the afternoon for some reason.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top