Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 4:24:27 PM EDT
Looking to buy one. Anybody have one what brand? Do you like it? Been looking at a Sun one.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged, as I am also interested.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought from Solar Oven Society.

More efficient.
Came with pots with lids.
Special purpose temperature measuring device
Some other features which I don't recall off the top of my head.

Was worth paying a little more for this one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a lightweight portable one I can recommend the Sunflair.

It's a bit pricey but works well and comes with a few useful accessories. I've used mine a few times, but I have a
friend that lives off-grid about 6 months out of the year and gave her one and she uses it daily and pretty much
raves about it.

Only real negative is having to weight/stake it down (wind will blow it over easily) and having to zip/unzip to get
access.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have solavore for the last few years.  It works well, but doesn't get as hot as some of the other solar ovens.

http://www.solavore.com/shop/solavoresport-solar-oven-with-reflector

I'm looking to buy a tube on Amazon as it's much faster to cook and cheaper as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXB1F36?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I like using solar oven in the summertime as it helps me not heat up my kitchen.  It's really cooking like a slow cooker.  I've made rabbit, beef short ribs, chicken, ribs, potatoes. The solavore is awesome because it comes with two pots, so you could essentially make two meals and it would feed 8-10 people.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had this one below on my wishlist for a while.  I get an insane amount if sun here and there is a lot less atmosphere in the way at 8,700' than many places so I imagine it would do well.  I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  I have a grill, lots of propane, a little single burner, a Coleman dual-fuel 2-burner, and an ultralight stove so I would have an easy time but I like the idea of something that uses no fuel at all.  I think I'll get it one day.

Amazon Product
  • Save money and be prepared with the world's most well-respected solar cooking appliance
  • Includes: DLightweight, portable solar oven reaches 360-400 degrees Fahrenheitehydrating & Baking Rack Set, 2 Easy Stack Pots w/ lids, & 2 Loaf Pans
  • Includes: Dehydrating & Baking Rack Set, 2 Easy Stack Pots w/ lids, & 2 Loaf Pans

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I built a couple.  Lined a satelite reflector with mylar on dutch oven

second one- large fresnel lens focussed on dutch oven.  

give it a b-.

The cab of your truck does pretty well in a Texas August!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built a couple.  Lined a satelite reflector with mylar on dutch oven
View Quote
I've also heard of attaching old cd's to a mesh dish to make a working reflector.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a glass-paned table that I can use as the basis for a solar oven/dehydrator. Just need to build and line a box to install the table top on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top