Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 2:27:08 PM EDT
Trying to find a book on transitioning back to an earlier time. This would not be about the fighting, or dealing with hordes of starving masses, or stocking piling food or ammo.
This is about after a collapse, relearning and building the infrastructure for blacksmithing, farming with horses mules, weaving cloth, cooking, the way life was back in the 1800s early 1900s, and how to get back to it.
To make it a bit simpler, if the world crashed today, after the mass die off, and now it's just trying to live, how do we get back to that pre-industrial/modern way of life, with what we have left of technology and material at hand? This isn't about how to blacksmith, or farm, make things etc, as there are many books on that, but about how to transition our lives back to it.

Is there such a book?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're talking about the Foxfire books.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Books are all fine and dandy, but those skills develop over time and are passed down. 

Trying to re-lean them AFTER a SHTF TEOTWAWKI scenario won't go so well..
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you're talking about the Foxfire books.
View Quote
I just sold a bunch of the Foxfire books on feeBay.  They're decent, but more entertainment than instructional.

As mentioned by someone else...

The Encyclopedia To Country Living is a must have reference book.

I also recommend...

John Seymour's The Self Sufficient Life & How To Live It

Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom & Know How
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Books are all fine and dandy but trying to learn skills AFTER a SHTF TEOTWAWKI scenario won't go so well..
View Quote
Fixed that for you.

After spending three years turning 11 acres of rural land into an organic homestead / farm ... I can say you need to get your hands dirty, but you don't need to have skills "passed down" from anyone.  You just need to source information, and put it into practice.

ETA: My family relied on a variety of informational sources.  Neither my wife nor I had ever lived on a farm or homestead.  We were not raised as farmers, ranchers, etc.  To prepare for our move, my wife spent two years reading every book she could beg, borrow, buy about animal husbandry, horticulture, organic food practices, etc.  She also tried a bunch of different garden types at our suburban home prior to the move (square foot, raised bed, sisters, etc).  I read more about grass and clover types than I care to admit.  I spent an exorbitant amount of time building things I thought we'd need when we moved. We both studied (books, seminars, dvds, youtube, etc) soil conservation, soil building / amending, crop rotation, natural pest and disease control, composting, animal varieties (types of rabbits, sheep, goats, chickens, and cattle), woodstove heating / cooking, canning, heirloom seed saving, rain water collection, etc.

When we finally found a place (51 minute drive to my work - one way) it was 11 acres exactly 0.7 miles off the nearest rural paved road.  We spent three years building the soil, building fences, building chicken coops, building wood sheds, felling trees and building our winter wood supply, fending off the nightly coyotes who wrecked havoc on our flock of chickens (we usually kept 30 laying hens and a few cocks), planting an orchard, planting a vineyard, planting a brambles patch, finding ways to keep deer out of our vegetable garden, finding ways to keep mice out of everything, etc.

Be care what you wish for.  Simple living is hard living.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're interested in "back to the basics" topics...google "homesteading books".

Joel Salatin is also a good source of information.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Just thought of this...

If you want an enjoyable and entertaining way of watching someone try to homestead watch "River Cottage" on youtube.  You can google Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to find it.  Be warned - you'll need to figure out the "TV series" order (TV seasons in America), because the Brits have an odd naming convention for the series. You do not want to watch them out of order - start at the beginning.

Honestly, this guy had life figured out until he decided to turn his homesteading experiment into a large scale business.  This will help...

River Cottage Series Order - CLICK HERE FOR INFO

The first TV series was Escape to River Cottage and was shown on Channel 4. In this show Hugh left London to pursue an ambition of self-sufficiency - growing his own vegetables and raising his own animals at a gamekeeper's cottage in Dorset. The series had six episodes and first aired in March and April 1999.[1] It was followed by Return to River Cottage in 2000.[2] and River Cottage Forever in 2002, in which viewers followed Hugh's further adventures as a downsized smallholder.[3]

In 2004 the River Cottage brand left the original holiday home to follow Hugh's progress as he set up a new business from old dairy buildings near Broadoak, Bridport, Dorset in the series Beyond River Cottage.[4] An additional series, The View from River Cottage, was a combination clip show and retrospective of the previous series.[5]

The 2005 series, River Cottage Road Trip, follows Hugh as he explores Dumfriesshire and Cumbria for regional recipes that he can bring back home.[6]

In 2006, moved to the Park Farm location near to Uplyme in Devon. Here at the new River Cottage H.Q., the team would film the 2006 series The River Cottage Treatment where Hugh would attempt to convert junk food lovers' eating habits.[7]

The 2007 series, River Cottage: Gone Fishing, saw Hugh travel to fishing locations throughout the British Isles in order to promote the culinary benefits of sustainable fishing cultures.

In 2008, Channel 4 began broadcasting River Cottage Spring,[9] later followed up by River Cottage Autumn,[10] which shows Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall using home-grown produce in recipes. The series also tracks a group of families in Bristol who attempt to convert a large bramble patch into a small-holding, now known as Bramble Farm,[11] growing vegetables, and rearing meat.[12] A four episode series River Cottage: Summer's Here began airing in June 2009.[13]

November 2009 saw the broadcasting of a new series titled River Cottage: Winter's on the Way, following Hugh as he grows, forages and cooks winter treats.[14]

In 2010 a new series titled River Cottage Every Day was released, each episode concerning the specific topics of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, breakfast, lunch, bread and treats.[15]

During the year 2011 Hugh released the series River Cottage Veg, documenting his experiences of giving up meat whilst learning about different vegetarian cooking styles.[16]

In July 2012, a new three-part series began on Channel 4, titled River Cottage: Three Go Mad.[17] Hugh was joined at Park Farm by three celebrities who wished to increase their knowledge on where their food comes from and how it gets from farm/sea to plate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Good books listed already. Get the Horace Kephart and Nessmuk books, for good measure.

The problem with your premise is that the learning curve for all of those skills far outstrips the time in which you'd have to learn them.

IOW, if you're not doing them now, you won't have a chance to learn them when you need them.

Just something as simple and mundane as growing, preserving, sustaining a garden based food supply takes more than a few years to get good enough to hope to depend on it and even then stuff happens.

And that's just one aspect of 19th century living.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
You aren't going to be going back to a straight-up 18th century lifestyle. You'll theoretically have plenty of surviving tech to allow you to limp along while you relearn old skills and get order re-established.

I'd start you out with Beyond Collapse, by T. Joseph Miller. It's readily available in PDF so you can read it for free before you commit to buying a hard copy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6e3oH1LuRvzeGZlTHRkeHZQSkk/view

No one book is going to have it all. My suggestion would be to start documenting those skills you want to practice or accumulate reference texts on and start hitting library books sales or look through Amazon for reasonably priced used copies
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Books are all fine and dandy, but those skills develop over time and are passed down. 

View Quote
I highly doubt there are many people living like the Amish on this forum.  Learning even from books isn't a bad thing.  Most of us haven't had skills "passed down" to us.  We learned them on our own.

To the OP, some I reference often:
Where there is no dentist
Nurses pocket drug reference book (for get the PDR, its next to worthless compared to the nurses version)
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I highly doubt there are many people living like the Amish on this forum.  Learning even from books isn't a bad thing.  Most of us haven't had skills "passed down" to us.  We learned them on our own.

Nurses pocket drug reference book (for get the PDR, its next to worthless compared to the nurses version)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means "passed down" in the way that there's "book learnin" and then there's "Been doin' this for 50 years and now I'm gonna show you the tricks of the trade" kind of learning.

I can tell you for sure and for certain, there's a great big difference.

Books can get you started. Books can give you just enough info to get in trouble, depending on the topic. The same can be said of people who teach who've learned from books.

I went to trade school for machine trades, two years. I learned more in the first two months in an actual shop than I learned in those two years of school.

It's no secret I spent a lot of time with the scouts. I spent a lifetime roaming and piddling in the woods, putting to practice the stuff I'd learned from books, videos, etc.

When at different scout functions, I would see (well meaning and dedicated) leaders trying to show boys this or that. But you could tell they'd learned it from books and not actually used the stuff under real conditions.

It's why I said in my first post that all the skills needed to homestead have to be in use prior to actually needing them. Otherwise you're kind of beaten before you start.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I think this book is what you are looking for:

Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll second the Foxfire series for cultural immersion, "Back to Basics" and "Country Wisdom & Know-How" for encyclopedic knowledge, and Storey's Guides for animal specifics (in order, Chickens, Rabbits, and Goats. Maybe Ducks and Sheep)
Also check out "Permaculture" for the growing things before you get your heart set on your homestead plan. ( https://permies.com/forums )
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, I think this book is what you are looking for:

Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind
View Quote
Interesting.  I'm going to see if this one is available at our library.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a good site about survival without modern tech

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1014
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
BTW, while in Friendship, IN, I met an Amish fellow who told me he plans to open a heritage school to teach 19th century skills. Live in the dark (power outage/black out) but bathe in the light (of knowledge and enligthenment).
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BTW, while in Friendship, IN, I met an Amish fellow who told me he plans to open a heritage school to teach 19th century skills. Live in the dark (power outage/black out) but bathe in the light (of knowledge and enligthenment).
View Quote
That's actually not a half bad idea. He might be onto something lucrative. I would attend
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top