Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 8:50:02 AM EDT
I'm in a bit of a tought spot regarding what to buy next regarding guns.
I already have what I consider to be a basic gun battery. I have my Glock and FAL, got a colt M4, couple Mossberg 500 and 22 winchester lever action.
I know I "need" a second 9mm Glock and a 22LR handgun.
But then there's what I  "want" which is bugging me.
Here in Spain nice handguns are downright cheap because people arent shooting as much as they used to.
This makes for a gun nuts dreamland in terms of used gun.
Colt Python hardly used? 400 bucks. How can you say no to that? But then again you can get a french Manurhin for around the same money. so which one to go for?
There's also the Astra Police... which isnt Colt or Manurhin, but its a pretty solid 357 magnum 3" revolver with a spare 9mm cylinder. Thats pretty sexy, and even handy as a multi caliber SHTF gun.
I need a 22LR handgun.. and you have Colt Diamondback 22LR in practically new condition for $280.

Then theres that little Astra Cadix which is a neat little 9 shot 22 with 4 inch barrel and target sights, which seems the perfect "kit" gun for around 100 bucks.
I'm thinking of getting a CZ75 9mm with the 22LR kit, so as to have something a bit different but still in 9mm and to double as a 22LR handgun.
Theres like new Beretta PX-4 Storm for 140 bucks in great condition. HK USP for 300.

How about a Colt Lawman, MK or Trooper? Grab one for under 300 bucks.

How about a Smith and Wesson 28 for 225 bucks?

I've also always wanted a Webley revolver, but 38 or 455 rally arent common or practical calibers.
Anyway, I'm looking at getting 3 maybe 4 handguns and not sure what to grab.
Which would be your 3 or 4 picks?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Easy choice, that .22 Diamondback would already be in the safe

Seriously, as much as I value a .22 auto, a .22 revolver is a solid investment.  They will fire any .22 rimfire; the low capacity really forces better marksmanship.  I am really considering a Ruger LCRx with a 3 inch barrel for that reason, but I also like the idea of a longer target barrel is a good idea.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
as ROCK6 commented, the Diamondback in .22lr is over $1000 in the US, as are any of the Colt "snakes"... I had one, and was disappointed with its accuracy... my SW617 is very accurate... when we shot the Chevy team challenge I shot a SW M41 for the precision section, and used a High Standard Citation for IHMSA metallic silhouette, and would recommend any of the three... stick the Diamondback in the safe... if you can find a 3" round butt SW M13/65 in .357mag, would be the ideal carry wheel gun
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Python and Diamondback set would be pretty cool!

Yeah, a backup Glock/carry-gun of choice would be good too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Diamondback 22.  Great piece to practice double action trigger and reloading (with speed loaders).

I'd shy away from Taurus. A lot of people buy them in my area of operation and if they own it long enough, they regret it.

If I could only get one, it would be the CZ-75 with a Kadet Conversion Kit.  The grip is comfortable even for small handed women.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Needs first.  I have three of the same handgun so everyone can share mags
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
2 suggestions to consider...

1) A lever action carbine in your favorite revolver caliber - 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt.  Light, fast handling, and fun to shoot.

2) A precision bolt action rifle to reach out and touch targets out to 800 meters or so...  Not light or fast handling but still a lot of fun to shoot - just a different kind of fun!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
the diamondback is a no brainer.

then I'd follow it up with a second glock in the same cartridge you have and set it up identical as your go-to (2 is 1, 1 is none) (you rockin the 357 sig still or did you go back to 9mm exclusively?)

I personally wouldn't get another wheel gun unless you do a lot of backwoods camping/hiking and you have critters that glock couldn't handle.

that aside if you have extra money for the "wants" in life and your setup elsewhere then get what you want. I always thought the 455 webley compact with "manstopper bullet" to be a cool concept.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
So what ammo are you reloading? The 22 wheel gun would be a nice addition to you lever action.

Unless your going to buy the cheap weapons and resell them for a profit I'd take the money and spend it on weapons for the family or reloading gear if it's legal where your at.

I have been selling off all my pistols and rifles that don't share common ammo. My Ruger GP-100, Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC, Beretta 92f sold them all because for two of them they where the only caliber and the Beretta 92F I just did not like it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 suggestions to consider...

1) A lever action carbine in your favorite revolver caliber - 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt.  Light, fast handling, and fun to shoot.

2) A precision bolt action rifle to reach out and touch targets out to 800 meters or so...  Not light or fast handling but still a lot of fun to shoot - just a different kind of fun!  
View Quote
That's what I'm thinking too. A Winchester in 357 or 44 and a Smith to go along with it.
The problem is that Winchesters in 44 are far more common than 357s around here, and Id rahter have a revolver in 357 than 44, although Id love to have a 44 again. The only 357 magnums you see are Rossi lever actions, but given how here a winchester sells for about the same price I think we can all agree it would just be stupid to buy a Rossi over a Winchester.
Not so worried about reaching out with a bolt gun. The FAL is plenty accurate and powrful for that although at the right price a bolt gun is always a nice adition.
To complicate things even more theres a Rem870 SBS 14" selling for 450 bucks (guy cant seem to sell it for 500, pretty sure its mine if I want for 450).
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the diamondback is a no brainer.

then I'd follow it up with a second glock in the same cartridge you have and set it up identical as your go-to (2 is 1, 1 is none) (you rockin the 357 sig still or did you go back to 9mm exclusively?)

I personally wouldn't get another wheel gun unless you do a lot of backwoods camping/hiking and you have critters that glock couldn't handle.

that aside if you have extra money for the "wants" in life and your setup elsewhere then get what you want. I always thought the 455 webley compact with "manstopper bullet" to be a cool concept.
View Quote
I always kept a 9mm Glock even when I had the 357SIG. Would take the 9mm for classes and mix the 357 SIG for training.
The thing is that given local ammo prices and competition shooting, 9mm makes more sense here.
I think you should always have a Glock 9mm,  even if you carry a 357SIG.
Still would want to get a 357SIG Glock again. Its just a great cartidge.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
are the Israeli slide action Timberwolf carbines available in Europe?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
are the Israeli slide action Timberwolf carbines available in Europe?
View Quote
No reason for them not to be but I cant say I've seen any. I'd rather buy a marlin or Winchester lever action though, or better yet just a semi auto rifle if firepower is what I'm looking for (FAL, AR, Dragunov/tigr, M1 carbine, Beretta Storm, etc)
Do the Timberwolf carbines have any specific advantage?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I always kept a 9mm Glock even when I had the 357SIG. Would take the 9mm for classes and mix the 357 SIG for training.
The thing is that given local ammo prices and competition shooting, 9mm makes more sense here.
I think you should always have a Glock 9mm,  even if you carry a 357SIG.
Still would want to get a 357SIG Glock again. Its just a great cartidge.
View Quote
is reloading an option in Spain? sounds like the volume of shooting you do could benefit from it. and in terms of feeding a .357 sig and 9mm the only difference would be powder. you could get away with stocking 1 bullet, 1 type of primers, and 1 maybe 2 powders (1 if you made reduced power plinking loads for the sig or don't mind a flashy, boomy powder like power pistol for both)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top