Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 12:37:15 PM EDT
I have 3, 24 volt panels totaling about 412 watts of power. Looking for a decent 30 amp mppt charge controller, weatherproof is a bonus. This will be for my camper so I don't have a need to go higher on the amperage. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had great luck with the Outback Flexmax 80 models. They were one of the first to make MPPTs IIRC but now a lot of folks do.

I would consider raising your amperage estimate just a bit to allow for further add ons, even if you don't expect to need it  now. Just a couple bucks more now will allow easier expansion later if need be. Not saying you need an 80 however.
View Quote
Man that's expensive! This will be used for two batteries in a 19 foot camper. Looking for something a bit easier on the checkbook.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
 Another   plug for the  Outback FM-80 
 I have a pair of them, in operation for a decade now... They work well.

Check  the Midnite Solar line, they might have something smaller, but still  high quality.

Morningstar builds some  cheap  equipment, if that's what you are after.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want junk, but realistically this will be used for some very basic 12 volt applications a few times a year at most.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I could easily even go with a 20 amp controller. Seeing as how we are limited to space and weight, I will never exceed these three panels worth of power. I honestly don't know if I'll need more than 2 of them. For bigger applications at home I would want a separate one anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A C40 isn't junk. I have a couple still in my system. They perform well so I saw little need to replace them with MPPTs. They are also very inexpensive. Cheap enough to keep a backup in an ammo can as well. The C40 was the workhouse controller for most systems back in the day before MPPTs.

You want to be able to EQ with any controller or MPPT you buy, so don't go too cheap.....
View Quote
Don't I need a mppt if running 24 volt to 12?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You must have been writing when I was also.

What you wrote that I bolded makes me again say "C40" being as you could use it either with your RV or at home. Keep in mind components do fail during bad storms, etc. Being able to go to the RV and pull the C40 from there to replace in your home system keeps you up and running while you get another one.

Backups that are the same as other components are really nice. I have a C40 as part of my AE backups in a big metal military medical box.
View Quote
That's a damn good point...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, sorry forgot. It's a 24 volt panel correct?
View Quote
Yes sir.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought Uni-Solar roll out amorphous panels. They do well in shade and weigh 1/2 as much as poly/mono. Thanks for the tips guys, I think I found one I'm going to try.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]
One more question... two batteries running parallel of solar, do I put the charge controller connections on each battery? Positive on one and negative on the other. I've heard both stories.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#17]
24 volt solar running to a mppt charge controller that connects to two 12 volt batteries in parallel, the batteries connect to my +/- wires to my camper. I believe I'm supposed to connect one + or - wire coming from the charge controller to each battery, same for the +/- on the camper. Red wire on battery number 1 and black wire on battery number 2.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 Another   plug for the  Outback FM-80 
 I have a pair of them, in operation for a decade now... They work well.

Check  the Midnite Solar line, they might have something smaller, but still  high quality.

Morningstar builds some  cheap  equipment, if that's what you are after.
View Quote
Ditto on the Outbacks.  I have a pair of them as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't want junk, but realistically this will be used for some very basic 12 volt applications a few times a year at most.
View Quote
These are 98% efficient, don't need a cooling fan, will take 24 panels up to 255w each and charge 12v battery banks. Very well designed and programmed in America, and built by the same American. The controller have an LCD display for monitoring performance and draw like .00015ah at night. They also have very low RFI if you into HAM radio.

diysolarforu.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top