Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
Hi fellas. For the last several years I have been working on my 'preps' for lack of a better term. I am pretty squared away on most areas except for one.

I had my thyroid removed when I was 12 and have taken Levothyroxine, a synthetic thyroid hormone daily since then. I can go a couple of weeks without it but after that I'll have major health issues, up to and including death.
I recently realized this is something that I have neglected to prepare for, short of always keeping a 90-120 supply on hand which realistically could last me 6-9 months. I've done some (not enough) research and it appears that dried swine thyroid can be used in place of synthetic medications to supply what my body can no longer produce.

Does anyone here use natural replacements for thyroid issues? I would love to discuss with someone with first hand experience, or at least someone who has more knowledge on the subject than I.

Thanks!
MT
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Levothyroxine in on the Walmart $4 generic medication list - 1 years worth of medication will cost you $40 (without insurance - less with)!  Get your doc to write you a year to stash.  Vacuum seal 90 day supplies separately and toss them in the freezer or refrigerator...  Then get your "regular" prescription in 90 days supplies and FIFO rotate your refrigerated stash and you'll always have a years worth of backup.  You may run into a problem if your dose changes but cross that bridge if/when you come to it...

There is a pharmaceutical preparation (Armour Thyroid) that is made from pig thyroid glands >>>  "Armour® Thyroid (thyroid tablets, USP)* for oral use is a natural preparation derived from porcine thyroid glands and has a strong, characteristic odor. (T3 liothyronine is approximately four times as potent as T4 levothyroxine on a microgram for microgram basis.) They provide 38 mcg levothyroxine (T4) and 9 mcg liothyronine (T3) per grain of thyroid..."  

I have never heard of anyone trying to "make" their own from pig thyroids or using pig thyroids as a substitute.  From my POV, the main problem is there is no way to assay or calibrate the material that you would produce in a DIY situation so no way to calculate or even guestimate dose!...

P.S.: I don't know ANYTHING about Potentilla alba but found the linked page with a web search.  On the bottom of the page is another link that might be useful "7 natural treatments for hypothyroidism".  Good luck with your quest...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That was the issue I had run into with natural replacements- no one can or will give me a clear picture of how much to take/consume to equal my dosage on the man made stuff.

My doctor has always blown off alternative methods as "snake oil" / BS.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. That was the issue I had run into with natural replacements- no one can or will give me a clear picture of how much to take/consume to equal my dosage on the man made stuff.

My doctor has always blown off alternative methods as "snake oil" / BS.
View Quote
Probably because there is nothing else. Your choices are either T4 (synthroid) replacement or T3/T4 (Armour thyroid, which is the desiccated thyroid) replacement. The go to is synthroid because it is much easier to dose and has much less variability between formulations. None of the endocrinology/thyroid associations recommend using Armour thyroid for this reason.

Even if these "natural" boosters worked, you don't have a thyroid to boost; you need total replacement, see above.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a good functional medicine Dr that understands prepping and work with him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Probably because there is nothing else. Your choices are either T4 (synthroid) replacement or T3/T4 (Armour thyroid, which is the desiccated thyroid) replacement.
View Quote
That's pretty much what I've found so far. I was hoping to find a 'magic bullet'.

Thanks again for the help fellas. Looks like I'm going to work on buying a supply of the man made stuff, but I plan to continue researching any and all other options.

MT
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking for alternatives to my rescue inhaler for years, but now that I have a heart condition the old load up on cafffeine trick isn't usable any longer either.

Best bet is to stack it deep and pray you don't ever need it. Inhalers are costing me $40 each with insurance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My former long-term girlfriend was in the same boat. She ended up on Nature Thyroid after Armour had tons of issues with the FDA.
The synthetics (Lev. and Cytomel) never really worked well for her.

We figured the best solution was to stock it deep, and we had a talk with her doc who was totally with the program, especially when
we brought up the supply issues with Armour due to FDA shutdowns, etc which he was well aware of. We made arrangements to get
an 18-month supply and then rotated it on a 6 month basis.

For a medicine that your life depends on that's not easily abused, most docs are pretty willing to write long-term scripts
without a whole lot of sales on your part. It's probably my location but I've yet to find a doc that didn't have at least a little
awareness of prepping and the value of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you op. We just found out yesterday my 4 day old daughter has hyperthyroidism and I'm just figuring things out. A little different than your situation but they caught it in the genetic testing. So hopefully all will work out but it looks like she will be on The synthetic for the rest of her life.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you op. We just found out yesterday my 4 day old daughter has hyperthyroidism and I'm just figuring things out. A little different than your situation but they caught it in the genetic testing. So hopefully all will work out but it looks like she will be on The synthetic for the rest of her life.
View Quote
I was young (but not that young) when I started having problems. Had it out pretty quickly after they discovered what it was (benigne tumor). Excluding the 2 week recovery time it really has not affected my life one bit. However, I do attempt to maintain a decently healthy weight and diet which probably contributes to my lack of complaints.

The only reason I really stress or think about it is prepping/SHTF... otherwise I pop my pill every day without really thinking about it. It just became part of the routine after a few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top