Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Lowdown3

I have a grid tied 6kw array consisting of two strings made up of 24- 250w/30.9v panels.
My inverter is a 7.5kw Sunnyboy and has lugs for two more strings. These lugs are all isolated from one another until they feed into the guts of the inverter.
Can I use the 230w/24v panels you linked to with my existing system?
Great thread BTW!
View Quote
Caveat: Although I have a solar energy system, I am by no means an expert! Call Sunnyboy or one of their distributers for an opinion worth something!

If this is your inverter, I would say you could, for an additional 1.5kw or about 6 more panels. It is my understanding that MPPT charge controllers aren't particularly finicky about the input voltage, because they manipulate it for maximum efficiency anyway.

I am not sure about anyone else, but my 22 - 270 watt panels have NEVER actually made 5940 watts. Full summer sun at noon, they put out maybe 4800. Maybe it's the more nothern lattitude. But what I am thinking is that you may be able to add a couple more than those 6 panels and still be under your 1.5kw limit. The code enforcement folks would probably frown on that, though!

Good luck, wish I could be more helpful with a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Caveat: Although I have a solar energy system, I am by no means an expert! Call Sunnyboy or one of their distributers for an opinion worth something!

If this is your inverter, I would say you could, for an additional 1.5kw or about 6 more panels. It is my understanding that MPPT charge controllers aren't particularly finicky about the input voltage, because they manipulate it for maximum efficiency anyway.

I am not sure about anyone else, but my 22 - 270 watt panels have NEVER actually made 5940 watts. Full summer sun at noon, they put out maybe 4800. Maybe it's the more nothern lattitude. But what I am thinking is that you may be able to add a couple more than those 6 panels and still be under your 1.5kw limit. The code enforcement folks would probably frown on that, though!

Good luck, wish I could be more helpful with a definitive answer.
View Quote
Code enforcement! Good one. I live in a pasture in rural Louisiana. Our only code is shoot, shovel and shut up!
That is abasically my inverter.
You are correct, I never make 100% so I could put more on it. I will call Sunnyboy although they aren't end user friendly company. I had to replace my failed converter at 2 years. We did exchange converters, but it was like pulling teeth.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It appears that his unit is geared mostly toward selling power back to the grid (if I am reading the literature correctly) but the info at the link I posted does say:

Power Supply for Grid Power Outages

The Sunny Boy 7.7 has Secure Power Supply functionality included. This added feature addresses the need of grid-tie solar system owners during power outages. Secure Power Supply makes it possible for the inverter to provide up to 2,000 Watts of daytime standby power in the event of a grid outage for charging laptops, cell phones and more, without the need of additional, costly batteries.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have a battery bank? Can you run your solar input directly into the battery bank via MPPTs or charge controllers?
View Quote
If question was for me, I have a grid tie.
I have the Sunnyboy 770 TL  which has dual maximum power point tracking. Besides the power optimization I did read it also means the strings don't have to match, but the panels on the individual strings must. I will call the company when I get time. If I can run all of my panels in one input that would be great, then I could buy some of the panels in this thread and put in the other input.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top