User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/27/2017 8:38:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that Brand reputable?

Why buy them now?       Do you think they are going to get more expensive?

$385-$485 S&H?      Are they owned by AIM?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
S/H $430 to my location...

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
New to solar and researching. Do you check the output of each one when you get them (before you store them) to make sure that they are performing properly? If so, how do you do that?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can face them towards the sun and check them with a meter, sure.

The bigger panels like these aren't as affected by partial shading as smaller panels are. That's a big misconception. People assume if their is a quarter inch of shading that the panel isn't putting out anything. In the long long ago I had my original 14 panels on my roof. I was up there wiring them and a buddy was here helping me. It was completely overcast. I got a little nip at one point and figured I had wired something wrong. I said to my friend "hey, I just got  a little shock."  His reply "well yeah Rob, they are producing power, that's what they do." LOL You can put a blanket over them if you want. These were 120w 12 volt panels so the little gig I got one time was relatively nothing. The point was even in heavy overcast, they produce power.

I've seen my arrays produce some energy on clear, full moon nights. That was interesting as heck.
View Quote
Yep, been surprised how much output they have during some overcast conditions.

The panels you ordered look surprisingly similar in all specs and appearance to the Sharps we use and stock-piled...

As a hedge and trading stock for food... When everybuddy laughed...

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It only shows $100 shipping via Fedex to me.  That is a really great price.  I might order 10 or so, maybe 20.

Thanks for the info, OP.  I will want to research a bit first tonight before I order.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You may want to call them, I just paid $350. to the farthest zone for 15 panels. That's extremely cheap for that much coming that far via a truck with liftgate!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S/H $430 to my location...

You may want to call them, I just paid $350. to the farthest zone for 15 panels. That's extremely cheap for that much coming that far via a truck with liftgate!
Oh, agreed.  I'm not actually shopping around; just did a double-take on the shipping being over half of the purchase price of a pallet of 'em.  But same deal with all online vendors, I reckon.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Even with $430 shipping that comes out to about 48 cents a watt. Still good. I have contacted the company inquiring about warranty and where they are manufactured, etc.

Looks like they have been in business since 2009.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even with $430 shipping that comes out to about 48 cents a watt. Still good. I have contacted the company inquiring about warranty and where they are manufactured, etc.

View Quote
Please let us know what you hear-  I am very interested.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I am tempted.....
But my system has 230 watt panels in a 48 volt system can any pannel be added to a system?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I admittedly don't know anything about solar but I've always been fascinated by true off grid solar system.

Question: I always believed that the monocrystaline panels are superior to polycrystaline panels(like these). Is that incorrect? And if it is what is the difference?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Scroll down in the listing I linked-

10 years for 90%
25 years for 80%

Country of origin is most likely China or Canada, although their is more and more cheap solar panels being made here in USA.

Solarblvd the company is good to go. Dealt with them for years. Had one problem with a hinge on a "folding" 120 watt panel I bought on a whim years ago. They were out of them but they really took care of me with the problem, which was minor and I fixed it easy enough.

As I said before on the shipping, CALL them, the freight on 15 panels coming to Georgia was a LOT cheaper than the listed chart showed for 10 panels.

I'll post again after I receive them for the skeptics.
View Quote
They are China made, warranty is 98% output the first year .6 reduction per year there after from what I can find.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is that Brand reputable?

Why buy them now?       Do you think they are going to get more expensive?

$385-$485 S&H?      Are they owned by AIM?
View Quote
I've got it in my cart and the only option is $100 shipping for a total of $790 shipped.  Has anyone checked out at that price?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On my original 14 Kyocera 120 watt panels- after about 7 years I noticed our system just didn't seem to be doing as well as it originally was. You live with these things you kind of develop a "feel" for things being out of whack. Running low on power early in the day, etc.

Checked battery bank, it was all good. Nothing had changed with panels but I checked each pair (24 volt system and 12 volt panels) by isolating each panel. Checked them in full sun and a couple showed 9 volts, wherein they would normally show about 17 volts in full sun. I think their might have been 3 that were off.

Contacted Kyocera. Gal said "Ok, we have discontinued the 120watt panels so we are sending you 14 of the 130 watt panels."

Me- "sorry ma'am I guess I wasn't clear, only 3 panels are not showing right, not all of them."

Her- "it's Kyocera's policy that if more than 10% of an array fails that we replace the entire array."

So I got 14 new panels and they were the 130watt panels, so essentially I got all new panels and one additional for free!
View Quote
A great endorsement of Kyocera.

That in my mind appears to be the biggest risk with the panels linked- not muck information on the stability of the manufacturer or customer service.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Polycrystalline panels? Pass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#28]
What batteries would you recommend for storage?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Do any of you guys with off grid solar setups have anything large enough to handle 240vac loads? I was just curious about how large a system that would take.

For example I realize that most solar systems could power internal house lighting, computers, TV fridge ect but heavier loads like well pumps and Air conditioning must really require a massive setup. Realistically, Is solar an option for those who have well pump or Air conditioner requirements?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#32]
This is one of the best deals I've ever seen on panels, even with shipping.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys with off grid solar setups have anything large enough to handle 240vac loads? I was just curious about how large a system that would take.

For example I realize that most solar systems could power internal house lighting, computers, TV fridge ect but heavier loads like well pumps and Air conditioning must really require a massive setup. Realistically, Is solar an option for those who have well pump or Air conditioner requirements?
View Quote
I have a grid intertie 5Kw 48V system with battery backup (24-85-21 forklift battery). It has dual Outback inverters which produce 240vac, specifically for our well pump. The well pump is a big draw, but it's not on that much, comparatively speaking. We do have central air, and the system will run it, but I kind of feel that's a bit of an excessive power draw. We don't get the sun here in WI that the southwest, or even Rob in GA does. We run small 110v window units in the sleeping areas on when we do our "Grid Down Weekend" drills.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought my Sharps from these guys, probably 2011.  They were gtg then, assume they still are.

Why are these so cheap?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought my Sharps from these guys, probably 2011.  They were gtg then, assume they still are.

Why are these so cheap?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are these so cheap?
If I had to guess probably straight from China.  China has been destroying the US solar industry by subsidizing panel production.  This is probably part of it and why the seller isn't advertising much on the panels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is another site with some cheap prices on the east coast.

http://sunelec.com/solar-panels/
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
You need some more wires Expy... 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why are these so cheap?
View Quote
I bought 10 of my panels from SolarBlvd. They had some generic name sticker on the back. While waiting to install them, I accidentally left one of the panels with the solar cells facing down, and so the back filled with water. No damage to the panel, but it softened the generic sticker until it floated away. Underneath that sticker was the manufacturer's sticker: They were made by LG. Unfortunately, there seemed to be something imperfect about every one of the panels. On a couple of them, the glazing looks a bit cloudy compared with other panels. One had a light "S" shaped scratch on the glazing. One had a messed up power lead. Etc.

The panels all function well. They are still up on my roof producing power. But I get the feeling they were LG factory seconds, bought by another firm who slapped a new spec label on the back and sold them for cheap. It really was a good deal: The panels work fine, but I wish I had known the real scoop, though. I probably still would have bought them, but at least I would have gone in with my eyes open.

I am not saying that's what the panels in the OP's post are, but it sounds a lot like the great deal I got on my panels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You need some more wires Expy... 
View Quote
I'm workin on it...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's a link some of us have posted many times.

Good solar prices.

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/surveys/free-solar-panel-price-survey/

I've bought all of mine except a few in the very beginning from the sellers there.

Happy...
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#43]
So, one (or more) of you gurus size me a system with all the parts.  I’m not lazy but I’m a total idiot when it comes to electrons.

Instead of doing the standard “how much power do you need” method, let’s do the “given 10 of these panels, how much power can we make” method.

I’m talking controller, inverter, batteries, monitors and anything else, other than the cost of wire and frames.

Part and model numbers would be very helpful.  Note that I’m a “buy once, cry once” type of guy.  I'm in Idaho, but doing a general "sunny" part of the country might help others.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So, one (or more) of you gurus size me a system with all the parts.  I’m not lazy but I’m a total idiot when it comes to electrons.

Instead of doing the standard “how much power do you need” method, let’s do the “given 10 of these panels, how much power can we make” method.

I’m talking controller, inverter, batteries, monitors and anything else, other than the cost of wire and frames.

Part and model numbers would be very helpful.  Note that I’m a “buy once, cry once” type of guy.  I'm in Idaho, but doing a general "sunny" part of the country might help others.
View Quote
10 of these is 2.3kw.

If you're planning on running electric appliances (heaters, oven, range, AC), you'll probably want 100 of these, not 10 of them.

If you're trying to get a hunting cabin setup and want a big LCD TV, blu ray player, some lights, a fan or two, and hot coffee in the morning, you might get by on 10 of these.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#45]
This is a darn good price.
Have any of you guys set up a solar system where you can sell excess energy back to the power company?  I have a detached garage with a separate meter and 200A service. It will be relatively easy to setup a solar system. I will only need several batteries to run my ham radios. The rest of the energy can be "pumped" back into the grid.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

10 of these is 2.3kw.

If you're planning on running electric appliances (heaters, oven, range, AC), you'll probably want 100 of these, not 10 of them.

If you're trying to get a hunting cabin setup and want a big LCD TV, blu ray player, some lights, a fan or two, and hot coffee in the morning, you might get by on 10 of these.
View Quote
I'm not planning to run anything.  I'd just like a specific config for a 2.3kw system.  Remember, I'm an electron idiot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What batteries would you recommend for storage?
View Quote
A forklift battery is an excellent option.
Difficult to move around, but less expensive then the equivalent AH Trojans.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are China made, warranty is 98% output the first year .6 reduction per year there after from what I can find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scroll down in the listing I linked-

10 years for 90%
25 years for 80%

Country of origin is most likely China or Canada, although their is more and more cheap solar panels being made here in USA.

Solarblvd the company is good to go. Dealt with them for years. Had one problem with a hinge on a "folding" 120 watt panel I bought on a whim years ago. They were out of them but they really took care of me with the problem, which was minor and I fixed it easy enough.

As I said before on the shipping, CALL them, the freight on 15 panels coming to Georgia was a LOT cheaper than the listed chart showed for 10 panels.

I'll post again after I receive them for the skeptics.
Am I right in doing math that in 10 years the output could be 40% and useless?

Nope I am not,

10 years is 94%

math in public without coffee
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#50]
can anybody give ball park numbers for charger, inverter, batteries for a 4.6kw system?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top