User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Any disaster situation requires leaders. MOST people don't have what it takes to be good leaders.

That's also why you should be cultivating relationships NOW. If you are one of those who sit on your porch telling everyone to get off your property, you are not only not building relationships but are actually creating enemies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't assume they're worthless. Or stupid.
View Quote
They are watching you too.

He look. Bob has........
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've come to conclude that there are 3 lengths for survival situations, regardless of scenario, and they are: short, medium, long.  There are also two methods in which these types of survival situations will present themselves: rapid or gradual

Short
Any survival situation lasting from 1-30 days.  This is your power outage from a storm that lasts 24 hours, or up to a natural disaster that might take weeks to restore basic services.  More than likely, this is going to be your most common length of time.  

Medium
I would peg the time frame from 30 days to 4 months for medium.  This could be a major flood like Katrina, or a major earthquake that destroys much of your infrastructure collapsing buildings like grocery stores and basic services.  It should take 30+ days for the government aid to show up and start putting your community back together again. These are those events that make the history books for your area, and are limited to just a region.  Expect for some sort of FEMA response, because these events will be limited geographically.

Long term
These are your major life changing events.  Collapse of an economy, EMP, nearby nuclear detonation, plague, meteorite, etc.  These are the events that you're in it for the long haul and will require high level of community to survive, and be rebuilt.  These are those once in a century type events.  Very rare, but very serious.

Lastly, these lengths will either be rapid in their onset, or gradual.  What that means to you is it will give you a length of time to prepare more for it, or none at all.  An economic collapse wont happen over night, you should be able to rally your community and pre-plan for it as it starts to gradually get worse.  When the cost of milk goes from $3 to $30 a gallon over a week, most sane adults should get the big picture that they're not in Kansas anymore.  The rapid onsets suck.  More so for the long term events.  

But the summary is, each event requires its own approach.  If I have a years worth of food and supplies, and a short term event happens.  I will gladly help my neighbors, because I can't use it all in that period of time.  When the short term event blows over, you'll have new found respect from your neighbors, they'll be in debt to you, and that could be a teachable moment to get them towards a survivalist mentality so that way next time they're not relying on you.  For those of faith, and short term event, it's your obligation to help your neighbor.

Medium and long term events, you'll just have to ration less and be more wise on how you help.  The goal of a long term survival situation isn't to sit it out for a year eating canned beans and rice, but to actually get things back towards a "new normal".  You are to rebuild or reestablish civilization and rule of law.  You can't just bug out and wait it out. You'll need to be active in rebuilding your community.  

Conclusion
For most of us, the whole homestead / year of preps thing will get us through 99% of events and should not stress us or helping our neighbors some.  The real question is, how do you transition from planning for just you and your family, towards being a community leader/organizer, when you don't have enough to sustain people who seek your help, and you don't have enough to give.  

The long term disaster could be unwinnable, outside of an already prepping community.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Deal with neighbors on a friendly basis, discuss possible security concerns and mutual cooperation.  However, do not tip your hand.   Meaning, don't tell them you have food and ammo/guns.   Pretend you're in the same boat as they are.  Your neighbors are expendable, you are not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My name is Griff.
I grew up in the country, with parents who went through the Great Depression.
My wife and I are continually building a small, sustainable family farm.
She is also former military, and grew up LDS.
We home school our children, and have a small, trusted group of like-minded friends.

We live in a secluded location between the burbs and sticks, on the kind of private road you don't drive down in a nice car.
We have some neighbors.
Some of them have livestock, some have gardens.
Some may or may not have been the "never been there, never done that, and you couldn't prove it if I had" type of military.
They like us, but, unfortunately, have never taught us unusual things.

We don't ask too many questions, and help each other out.
Most of us pulled together nicely when a tornado went through the area recently.
We also know who will bug out, assuming that we will take care of their stuff in their absence.
Sure, buddy. Ass. You. Me.

For all of this, I will still die some day.
Probably from lack of sleep, on watch, at the gates, as the hordes assemble elsewhere.
In the mean time, we're finding what works for us, in our own unique situations, and having a blast.  
Not gonna worry about something I can't quite wrap my head around, much less control without air support.

But its been good reading what you've chosen to share.
Still leaning.

Cheers, Y'all
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Life Boat dilemma - no one answer.  Will you be comfortable with shooting your neighbors to ensure there is enough food for your family?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I found these two resources on the subject, the cliff notes are on the links if you don't want to listen to the podcasts.

Basically: Plan to feed your neighbors some cheap high energy food to build social capitol with them, social capitol means they are less likely to violently come after you if you can help sustain them, and in turn you can potentially use them for future labor. Morally, a few bucks can save the pregnant mothers life that lives down the street, or her kids.  Don't give them a lot when they ask you for some, just say "this is all I could spare for now", as it would keep them from coming back every day if they know you actually have more pre-planned to give them.  People will feel guilty of daily asking you for hand outs if they believe it's coming from your own preps (as it ultimately does not come from your personal preps, keeping your high end healthy food, safe).

http://theprepperpodcast.com/2014/09/26/047-prepping-how-to-and-charity-neighbors-friends-families/502/

http://theprepperpodcast.com/2015/04/10/rebuild-sustainable-communities-after-the-natural-disaster/1038/
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
People will feel guilty of daily asking you for hand outs if they believe it's coming from your own preps (as it ultimately does not come from your personal preps, keeping your high end healthy food, safe). 
View Quote
Those sucking off the fed teet must be drowning in guilt..

Hands out are great and nice. But start those relationships now. Not when Joe and Sara are knocking on your door looking like extras from " the road" with hungry kids in tow.
Then expect a instant hand digging trenches all day because now how feels obligated to work for in because those 4 year past date DAK hand sure were tasty....

(Devils advocate and all that..).
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
personally....

you are going to NEED help come SHTF. having decent neighbors who are not starving, would go a long way. vs hungry neighbors who hate your guts.

how about getting some 5 gallon buckets, and stock them with basics, rice, beans, matches, cheap water filter, etc.  you could have those as backup come bad times, and you could hand them out to people you think might be helpful, and help them get started. maybe have extra seeds, and such so they could make gardens. printed packet of papers with info on water purification, smoking meat, gardening, etc as well.

obviously... its better to have prepared neighbors BEFORE bad shit happens......  try to do that... encourage the closest ones / your best friends etc, to have extra gas, food, ammo, etc... talk about winter storms, hurricanes, riots, etc.

people who plan to hide from all of their neighbors IMHO are delusional. you can survive alone, against hundreds of starving neighbors. they will eventually get you. far better to have / develop those neighbors, have them earn that food, have a plan, etc.

I recently bought a house, and plan to be here forever. most neighbors are country types, and not total fools. I will be digging myself a fallout shelter in a few more years, that I have been planning to build forever now. I have a great woman, and I'm supported 100%, and it feels great. I will have a hell of a lot more food stores stuck back when I get that done, and likely 50% will be reserved for neighbors. ( rice, beans, etc). might not be awesome food, but will keep people fed. its actually cheap as hell to store rice and beans, even by the ton. no reason to NOT have some extra for hungry neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
In times of crisis, even those "friends/neighbors" who were once friendly will , in desperation, seek out your resources. At your expense.

Why expect you to share, when they can just take yours for theirs?

Eventually, your stores will dwindle. When you run out, and your support dries up, where will you look to sustain your needs in a long term crisis?

This is no longer a nation of help the next guy out. That was 60+ yrs ago.

You will seek out resources and obtain them at any cost.  Or you will die.

Sad facts.

TEOTWAWKI will not be a long spanned event. It will be triggered by crisis, and will be a fairly short road to extinction, imo.

Some will last longer than others, but none will last the course.

Many of you have more faith in society as a whole than I.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1 million gold!

This needs to be re-read by everyone.

Things have changed in this country. The lived through the depression generation is all but gone. It's the "I'm always perfect and I DESERVE everything I want" Bernie Sanders supporting snowflake generation and their parents who aren't much better that WE have to deal with.

I said on radio show almost two decades ago that IF you feel like you have to be the neighborhood savior and planned to "hand out butter knives" (cheap guns) to them, then you better have a six month supply of grains to "hand out" to them then as well. No unpaid mercenary continues to work...  They usually turn on you. And make no mistake about how they will see their part in the "savior of the subdivision" drama.

IF you were somehow convinced that the "savior of the subdivision" route was your only recourse, then you HAVE to make it not a last minute fantasy but truly put in the work NOW. Yep that means exposure. That means getting everyone in "Slice of Heaven" subdivision to store six months of food NOW, and be sure you put back a lot of extra for those that WON'T (majority). Then remember, it's "community" so you absolutely positively cannot "exclude" ANYONE- the convicted child molester down the street, the meth heads around the corner, the family with 5 out of control kids that steal stuff from everyone's yards- EVERYONE has to be included. You cannot "exclude" anyone- that's the big thing in society and you better damn well follow that or your the evil capitalist probably racist ba$tard and you'll be found after you "fell on a knife 18 times backwards", then one of your "trusted" neighbors will show the others (after liberating much for himself) all the things your evil capitalist hoarding self was EXCLUDING from SHARING with them. God forbid you have so much as an aspirin you didn't share with others- you evil sob....

It's ALL OR NOTHING. Jump in the fray with a bunch of unprepared people of dubious characters and backgrounds, share absolutely everything with them and expect some sort of return from them (labor, help with "security", all the little ideas bantied about).  And the ONLY way to remotely keep them in the game is giving them six months of food so that THEY have something worth protecting also. The 96" flatscreens, chipboard McMansion houses and other items they are in debt up to their eyeballs with now won't be worth them truly fighting for.

It truly is an ALL OR NOTHING proposition. And I wish someone well who truly attempts to try that. They better be truly boning up on their people skills, being able to negotiate with unruly people, being able to calm a crowd down, be able to identify problem people and negate them or win them over. And don't forget everyone's touchy little "feelings"- they damn sure ain't going to go away just because it's TEOTWAWKI! You better make sure you talk extra special nice, cherry on top style to every Suzy Soccor Mom when she screams at you that it isn't "fair" that you have so much and her family has so little.

Guys, I'm being a smart A here a lot, but I am bringing up some REAL ISSUES that you will have to deal with if you truly pulled this off. I sense a couple people think/have plans to truly try this. Instead of getting pissed reading this post I suggest you re-read it and think to yourself- "how WOULD I deal with that?"

It happens folks, anyone who deals with the public regularly, works with groups of pretty much ANY type now a days, organizes people, etc. has experienced this. If you haven't, it's just a matter of time. SHTF time will be worse cause "social norms" and the worry that "Fred will probably slam me on Facebook for yelling at him" type BS will be GONE and people will be a lot less cordial than they already are.

I would be truly interested in hearing people's ideas about how these sorts of things will be REALLY handled. I would be happy to provide numerous REAL LIFE situations/trials etc. that have happened (changing some details for OPSEC obviously) to give you some idea of the things you WILL have to work through if you'd like. If someone was TRULY serious about making this happen, these are things you should be prepared for.
View Quote
So....I get from your post that you must be a believer in the idea that you have to go it alone because unless you get everyone 100% on board with your way of thinking then there is no way for a group of people to come together and work as a team.

In your other posts in other threads as well, you appear to be a "my way or the highway" kind of person. "Everyone has to be 100% on board with my way of thinking or you and I can't work together"

That kind of approach doesn't work when you are trying to bring people together to work as a team. A true leader can bring together people from all kinds of backgrounds and experience and get then to mesh together and function as a team.

It's not clear from your post what you are advocating other than it appears you won't accept anyone in your group who doesn't 100% support and agree with you. That's not leadership....that's tyranny.

A good leader operates from the principle "if everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking at all". It's impossible to have a group of like-minded people who agree 100% and good leaders don't want that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Negative Ghostrider.

I was referring to the whole ad hoc "subdivision surviving together" non sense, NOT a real survival group.

I've been involved in groups for 30 years. They have their problems and problem people as well, but a much better option than an ad hoc last minute join up with some people you barely know that are not prepared (savior of the subdivision fantasy).

It's not about quenching other's ideas in group setting,  but you have to be realistic and trying to survive with a bunch of idiot suburbanites with no preps, no plans and little skills in suburbia is not a viable plan. No matter how much BS democracy (mob rule) you try to throw in there.

I don't give a rip if you disagree with me, but show me through logic and experience, not emotions and fantasy fiction stories. If you think 50 unprepared yuppies in a subdivision will work out PROVE IT, make it happen, get them all prepared now. Like I said, if you truly think you can do this, you will start thinking about how you WILL deal with the situations I brought up.

As to the "you spelled tyranny wrong" comment- this was more talking from the context of someone trying to evoke the savior of the subdivision concept. ALL of these little fantasy stories involve the 1 prepared guy "leading" the neighbor and all the rest lining up without question all the while saying "my hero!!"   In reality? Negative. People are going to get pissed, Suzy Soccor Mom is NOT going to till up her manicured lawn to grow tomatoes and they ALL will be thinking the Red Cross will be pulling in soon with hot donuts and blankets.

Argue my logic..
View Quote
I would love to have a discussion about how to do things with your/my neighbors but you aren't making a logical argument. Lots of rambling in a rather disjointed manner. Not sure I'm following what you are trying to say.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top