Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 12:00:59 AM EDT
Anybody remember what the consensus was on the viability of that option instead of mylar?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Standard PET soda or gatorade bottles will NEVER biodegrade.  Mylar is also PET but in film form and them metalized with Aluminum.  It will not biodegrade either.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No way in hell a thin plastic bottle DESIGNED to biodegrade in a relatively short period of time is going to stand up anywhere near a quality mylar liner sealed well inside a 5 gallon bucket.

This came about with the advent of the new "preppers" some of whom don't ever REALLY THINK they will actually need their food storage and therefore looked to cut corners (in the wrong places) to try to save a dime.

Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone I know refills there 2 liter bottles with water and saves them for emergency but that is a desert thing that if the well goes out you will need it. I have about 20 in the chicken coop feed room. I don't want to break out my emergency gear to water animals and it provides time for you to get your well back up.
I have never had one fail.
I have used them for short term grain storage when I had mice problems and they work well.
We wouldn't rely on them for survival but they are damn convenient in a pinch.
Mylar in a 5 gallon bucket is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like filling the bottles up would be more work than Mylar in buckets anyway...
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I store mine in Vacuum bags using my Foodsaver. I leave them in their original bag and poke a few tiny holes in the original bag to allow air to come out. Then I put them in a vacuum sealed bag. Makes nice solid bricks that keeps bugs and moisture out. Put them in a nice solid plastic tote, and that keeps mice out too!
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Always a good idea for LTS to get items out of their original packaging- cardboard, paper, thin plastic, etc. before putting them away for LTS.

I remember looking at some guy's pinto beans that he put in a bucket in the original plastic baggies.  It was beans and plastic goo all stuck together.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I store mine in Vacuum bags using my Foodsaver. I leave them in their original bag and poke a few tiny holes in the original bag to allow air to come out. Then I put them in a vacuum sealed bag. Makes nice solid bricks that keeps bugs and moisture out. Put them in a nice solid plastic tote, and that keeps mice out too!
Always a good idea for LTS to get items out of their original packaging- cardboard, paper, thin plastic, etc. before putting them away for LTS.

I remember looking at some guy's pinto beans that he put in a bucket in the original plastic baggies.  It was beans and plastic goo all stuck together.
I've done rice, beans, corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, and pasta in their original containers for years, and have never seen or experienced what you describe. I suspect maybe the bucket or other items interacted with the original bags to make that happen.

I have seen cases where some plastics don't get along well with each other and melt or get gooey.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do this, but with a bay leaf included.  Works fine.

I've also used plastic bottles for rice (the Orville Redenbacher popcorn type).  No issues.

I do have rice and beans in LDS cans as well.

This isn't brain surgery, especially if you are rotating.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
a slightly more expensive option, but store well in original boxes under your bed, and you have additional jars for use in the pressure canner when needed... use the jar sealing attachment to vacuum seal quart jars

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm close to 10yrs on dry goods in bottles.
Rice, beans salt Bulgar. Etc

All held up fine.
Soda and juice bottles
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
With flour and cornmeal, I put them in a freezer for 48hrs before packing. It kills the bugs........
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody remember what the consensus was on the viability of that option instead of mylar?
View Quote

How long do you wish your food to last.?
What steps are you wanting to take to ensure that food last for XYZ date/event.
How much food 20lbs....vs 250+++
Or
Do you just want to gamble.

Do you hike in boots from Wal-Mart...vs a pair of soloman gt4xyzs.
They both cover your feet right?

I've stored stuff multiple ways.
Some as experiments..some not.
My go to stuff is all Mylar and bucket with O2s 
Bay leaves...etc don't work. Got vids on my YouTube channel of that . 
You can store how you want. But do it correct and it'll last a long time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#16]
UV light is the killer on plastics.
Your main worries will be oxygen barrier ..light ..and container size.
For me bottles and sportsdrink plastics don't do it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I do this, but with a bay leaf included.  Works fine.

I've also used plastic bottles for rice (the Orville Redenbacher popcorn type).  No issues.

I do have rice and beans in LDS cans as well.

This isn't brain surgery, especially if you are rotating.
View Quote
this!!!!!!!!!!!!

and bulk salt and sugar.

ROTATE
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#18]
The soda bottles do not degrade - the barrier to moisture and oxygen is lower than glass.  Mylar is metalized plastic of the same type in soda bottles - the aluminum significantly improves the barrier properties.

Glass is best for sure

Quoted:
Soda bottles don't biodegrade?

Well crap, why then when you try to store  2 liter bottles of soda for a while do you usually find that a good portion of them have gone "flat?"

It is not a viable oxygen barrier for the LONG TERM. Keep in mind I'm not talking about six months or a year.

Do whatever the hell you want, if you want to cut corners on something that YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON one day, go right ahead. For the MINIMAL EXPENSE involved in packing correctly for the long term, it's stupid to even consider pop bottles and misc. BS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
No expert here. My grandma used to keep rice and buckwheat stored in 3/4 gallon glass jars with metal lids. She would heat the ingredients and the glass jars in an oven to kill any parasites and then pack the jars when everything was still hot. It created some partial vacuum and sealed the lids better.
This was the trick when no one ever heard of nor seen mylar bags or oxygen absorbers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If you drink out of 2 liter bottles, then use em.

People use em full of water for taking up space in a deep freeze.  They then help keep the temp from changing if there is a power outage.

I think one reason mt. house has the packs at a lower number than the cans is because the mylar is easier to damage than a nice metal can.

I do not keep flimsy water bottles around for reuse.  But I would not have a problem with the 2 liter bottles of pop I have bought now and then or the thick plastic the small gatorade bottles use, but I have not bought those for years so do not know current bottle design.

I did the canning jar thing mentioned above.  I have an accessory port on my vacumn sealer bagger thing and bought the adapters at amazon for wide and small mouth canning jars and I vacumn seal all sorts of stuff in canning jars.  To put a smile on my face I stick a marshmellow in there now and again as well just to make a big fluffy marshmellow for a guest.

If the vacumn sealer dies, I have a hand operated brake bleeder vacumn pump that has only been used to prove it will vacumn seal a canning jar.

Mylar is fine as well, I like 5 gallon sizes or so of stuff due to being a single guy and being lazy.  Don't really want to get into opening up a 55 gallon drum with one big mylar bag in it though it would probably be more space efficient.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No way in hell a thin plastic bottle DESIGNED to biodegrade in a relatively short period of time is going to stand up anywhere near a quality mylar liner sealed well inside a 5 gallon bucket.

This came about with the advent of the new "preppers" some of whom don't ever REALLY THINK they will actually need their food storage and therefore looked to cut corners (in the wrong places) to try to save a dime.

Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.
View Quote
I don't use plastic bottles but am curious as to the science of designing plastic containers TO biodegrade. Could you explain how it's done.?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
For the people just getting started a 2 liter might be something they have been throwing out or recycling or using as a pillow.

A bag of rice can get bugs in it.  I don't consider a 2 liter bottle to be super duper long term storage but I would expect it to last a couple years.

So break that bag of rice into however many 2 liters and store it in the cupboard.  Use that rice would be my thinking.

2 liter of water is something I trust a lot more than some of the gallon jugs of water I see at the store.  Gallon jugs are getting thin and can pop a seam easily these days.

I absolutely do not see a point in spending money on 2 liters for storage.  But if someone is able to get them for free, not going to get into the fun of why someone is drinking a lot of pop anyway, then use what you have for resources.

Yes as the pantry gets built and we look at longer term storage I would go to mylar, well ok I personally would play with canning jars again but mylar would come at some point.

Once into canning jars then we are into something you can wash and reuse.  I have also had good luck reusing the lids when just vacumn sealing the lids, this will vary and the lids these days seem to have less rubber gasket stuff on them than lids a decade ago had.  If a lid is damaged, get rid of it.  If you are not sure, get rid of it.  I periodically check my jars anyway if they are coming up on rotation.

If we are to where you are storing years and years of stuff, then sure get some mylar and seal it and make sure the seal took and then put it in something like a 55 gallon drum to protect the mylar is my opinion. 

I remember back in college it and when I got my first place it was awfully easy to have a list of what I wanted. 

Using what was around me and actually there already is where I see a 2 liter coming into play.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I only use 2 litre bottles for water storage. Do i use thag as my only storage, no.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You've never seen a plastic container break down? Really? So UV, heat, none of these things affect plastic? My point was the thinner plastics will break down quicker. Hell a quality 5 gallon bucket will break down over time with UV light, heat, etc.

Not every storage condition is ideal, either now or possibly in the future when you consider bugging out, etc. To begin the journey with some half arse container and expect it to make it the whole way isn't realistic.

Like I said previously, people can do whatever TH they want when it comes to this, if you think it's smart to throw "lime", "little bags of rice sewn up" or "handwarmers" to use as oxygen absorbers (yes these are actual online quote from someone), or if you think mylar party balloon, chip bags, etc. are feasible to use for storage go right ahead! It's not my family that's going to starve with dumb ideas!

All to do what- save PERHAPS $2. on a quality mylar liner and oxygen absorber.

Once people get some long term experience in food storage, you'll be able to look back and see that rice for example, used to be able to be had for $15. per 100 lbs. back in the late 80's and early 90's. Now it's what, $17. per 50 lbs. effectively doubled and then some in price. So your not just protecting your $17. investment when you put up 50 lbs. of rice, your possibly protecting your $30. investment.

Of course if you ever have to relay on it for real, the "value" of it will far exceed anything you spent now. So you "need" it cause SHTF and you open your little 2 liter bottle and find that it actually wasn't a viable long term oxygen barrier and now nutritional value is compromised. All because you thought that not spending $2. on mylar and oxygen absorbers was a good financial move.

And what is really the costs in storing food correctly in buckets and mylar liners?

OK let's look at this.

Buckets you can sometimes get FREE if you ask around. Maybe you have to pay $1. for a pickle bucket at Firehouse Subs. $1. for a container that will hold 40-50 lbs. of product.

Mylar liner- $1.50 or so?
Oxygen absorber- depends on size of CC absorption, etc. cheap either way.

So you pack correctly and some time passes and you rotate that bucket. What is "lost?" JUST THE OXYGEN ABSORBER. I have re-used mylar liners and if you don't slice and dice them like cutting off the excess before sealing the bucket (dumb idea), you can re-use mylar many times over. Bucket- that's reusable also.

So your "out" the whooping expense of just the oxygen absorber, perhaps $.50 true long term costs of storing 40-50 lbs. of food correctly.

But damn, that fifty cent expense makes people want to cut corners and put "sheetrock dust" in with some rice in a "chip bag" and think they are gtg.... Come on.

So are people not buying AMMO CANS now also for their ammo? Just leaving cardboard boxes of ammo laying about on the ground? So you'll spend maybe $10. on an ammo can to protect your ammo but you won't spend $.50 to protect your food storage?
View Quote
Is it breaking down because it was designed to though? That's your assertion right? That people designed it to break down. Or does it just break down because of the nature of things?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh boy......

Well smarty pants, if you want to get technical, couldn't some plastics nerd design a soda bottle that could last until infinity? Probably, but the enviro-nazis and eco freaks would crucify him.

Last I checked, we live in a consumption type economy. Could LG build a TV that could last 40 years? Yes they probably could but DO they? No, cause they want you to have to buy a damn new one every 5 or 10 years.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG-0136-194660.jpg

There is a pic of bay leaves in action deterring bugs....  Notice the holes in the grains of wheat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it breaking down because it was designed to though? That's your assertion right? That people designed it to break down. Or does it just break down because of the nature of things?
Oh boy......

Well smarty pants, if you want to get technical, couldn't some plastics nerd design a soda bottle that could last until infinity? Probably, but the enviro-nazis and eco freaks would crucify him.

Last I checked, we live in a consumption type economy. Could LG build a TV that could last 40 years? Yes they probably could but DO they? No, cause they want you to have to buy a damn new one every 5 or 10 years.

There is a pic of bay leaves in action deterring bugs....  Notice the holes in the grains of wheat.
Holy cow dude. Chill out. I was asking a question to your assertion that someone designed plastic bottles to degrade. I'm not arguing that they don't.

I was actually interested to hear where you came across the info.

But apparently you don't know how to have a civil discussion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Holy cow dude. Chill out. I was asking a question to your assertion that someone designed plastic bottles to degrade. I'm not arguing that they don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy......

For over 10 years some folks have had to "debate"..this subject 1000 fold with "preppers"..newbs and others on propper  food storage techniques. 
Now.
Back then..liter bottles..even milk jugs were recommended by many newbs out there as "the way to do it". Better add drywall dust to keep moisture out as well....(Yes people recommended that ).

You used to work on a boat correct....ever run into that o e guy who tried to show you the ropes..but turned out to not know shit....that was 90% of the movement out there. Sure they could drop traps in the water and talk big..but how big was the catch? But he is that old crusty capt. With the oldest boat..crew that gets rowdy to much in town but shows up each AM ready to rock....but fills limit before half the new guys out there ...who give him shit for not using xyz traps or ABC radars.....but wonder how he still does it....

Not defending LD3..but as I've seen it..been there etc..when you deal with guys preaching cheaper ways as gospel for so long..the padded gloves come off. So you cut to the chase vs drawing it out. Right?wrong? Each person's choice I guess.

Threads like this make me roll my eyes..

But like threads about backpacks,load outs etc.
My reply is
Your back..your knees...enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I just wanted to know how people designed plastic to biodegrade after it was said people designed it to do just that. I just thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh boy......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy......

I have found a little diatomaceous earth to work better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are you still being civil?
View Quote
Someone's gotta be.

Still waiting for the research behind plastics being designed to break down, instead of trying to last longer.

Interesting
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And it's obviously you......

So to end the thread stalking your doing (while being "civil" of course), would it be better if I said you were somehow right?

Like I said before, GO FOR IT! Store your food in whatever TF you want to store it in- I don't have to eat it!! And I've seen, over 31 flipping years now storing and rotating how food does when it's packed correctly and how food has done packed half ass. So go for it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone's gotta be.

Still waiting for the research behind plastics being designed to break down, instead of trying to last longer.

Interesting
Someone's gotta be.
And it's obviously you......

So to end the thread stalking your doing (while being "civil" of course), would it be better if I said you were somehow right?

Like I said before, GO FOR IT! Store your food in whatever TF you want to store it in- I don't have to eat it!! And I've seen, over 31 flipping years now storing and rotating how food does when it's packed correctly and how food has done packed half ass. So go for it!
Wow you're really full of your self.

Did you read in my first post in this thread?

It wasn't about me being right, or you being wrong. I was asking a question.

Since I'm guessing you won't bother going back to my first post. I started it by saying I don't use plastic bottles for storage.

Why don't you calm down a little. No need for yelling, or swearing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow lotta swinging going on in this thread

Quoted:
View Quote

OP:
I use 2 liter soda bottles to store dry items like rice, pasta, and beans.

It aint rocket brain surgery...

I aint demanding the bottle keep my rice ready for the next Mt. St. Hellens EMP apocalypse...

The soda bottles are:
Cheap
Food grade
Vermin dissuader
Reusable
Resealable
Disposable

I get my dry food when the grocer tosses it on clearance sale.

I may get one pound of rice or 17 pounds of pasta...I just never know.

I just bring home my score and put it into a bottle, and then eat the food as part of our regular menu.

My bottles are not long term storage

To the poster that asked about how to fill the rice into a soda bottle.  I use a funnel.

For long term EMP Zombie Pokalypse storage...Take Protus' word and use the mylar.

Y'all be safe and have fun now
PA
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys do realize that when you buy dry goods like rice that the bug eggs are already in it, right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You guys do realize that when you buy dry goods like rice that the bug eggs are already in it, right?
View Quote
Thats why I toss in some DE to my long term stores.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#41]
For short term usage I utilize these, sure they are marketed for pet food but work just as well for rice and beans. I have 4 for rice and 2 for beans and we rotate them as we get new stock, just date the lid and g2g. For the long term I use the 5 gallon buckets with mylar and the O2 absorbers for an extra layer of protection I use the gamma lids on the buckets.

You get what you pay for, and doing it correctly really isn't all that expensive. If you try to go cheap you will have quality control issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top