Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 6:37:17 PM EDT
BatmanACW's threads and posts got me thinking.  "Gee, I don't own an axe.  Maybe I ought to pick one up.  He seems to do well at yard sales and flea markets.  Lord knows I've passed by more than my share of axes and axe heads over the years....."  So, today I hit my first yard sale with the intention of finding an axe or axe head.

Of course, everything at this sale was "Well, they go for (insert beyond ridiculous figure here) on eBay, but I'll do (insert somewhat lower but still ridiculous price here)."  Eventually I found an old rusty roofing hammer with hatchet and nail puller.  My thought was that I could buy it to practice on for a proper axe.  How much?  Of course, the seller immediately went online and determined that it was worth $50, but he'd do $40.  I passed.  Then he asked what I was looking for, so I told him.  "Huh, let's go to my shed.  I've got an old axe in there."  I turned him down- why waste time following this guy so he could look up some rusty crappy axe online and try to sell it to me for a ridiculous amount?  But he persisted and I eventually wore down.  After helping him shove other tools and a riding mower out of the way in an old shed, he pulled out this axe.  

"How much," I asked nervously.  The guy must have felt guilty about the roofing hammer.  "Ah, take it.  It's of no use to me."

Didn't expect this level of success on my time searching!  First ever attempt and I'm walking away with a free axe!

Of course, free doesn't mean great shape.  The handle is rotted near the head, has a nail through it to hold a middle split together, and is also partially split at the bottom.  The head itself is rough; rusty, I've seen sharper butter knives, and someone really butchered a grinding job on the edge.  Take a good look- the geometry can't be right by any stretch!  There's also metal "curling" on the back side from using it as a hammer.  But I'm not complaining- this is a free axe!

BatmanACW or anybody else who knows, just what have I gotten myself into if I make this sad axe into a quality emergency tool?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start by taking it off the handle and soaking it for a few days in vinegar. This will remove the rust and also show the heat treat line so you can tell how much good steel is left.  I would measure the heel to poll and toe to poll and use a sharpie to draw a flatter arc between the two points. It's a huge amount of work, but you can flatten that radius and then start filing a new edge profile. If you look at draw filing, that is most likely the best way to remove that much material. It's the best way to reshape the new edge.

I'm not saying that it won't be a lot of work or that you will find good steel down at the center of the head, but you will learn a ton in the process. I would do it if I didn't have an axe. It will work or it won't. No harm in trying!

I would do all the head work before buying the handle to be sure it's worth keeping.

I would enjoy walking you through each step. You could end up with a great tool!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So this is another SJW thread, where something you did is somebody elses fault?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this is another SJW thread, where something you did is somebody elses fault?
View Quote
It was a joke, but I'd gladly take the blame!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would start by taking it off the handle and soaking it for a few days in vinegar. This will remove the rust and also show the heat treat line so you can tell how much good steel is left.  I would measure the heel to poll and toe to poll and use a sharpie to draw a flatter arc between the two points. It's a huge amount of work, but you can flatten that radius and then start filing a new edge profile. If you look at draw filing, that is most likely the best way to remove that much material. It's the best way to reshape the new edge.

I'm not saying that it won't be a lot of work or that you will find good steel down at the center of the head, but you will learn a ton in the process. I would do it if I didn't have an axe. It will work or it won't. No harm in trying!

I would do all the head work before buying the handle to be sure it's worth keeping.

I would enjoy walking you through each step. You could end up with a great tool!
View Quote
Thank you so much; I'm very grateful for your help!  I will begin with the handle removal and vinegar soak and will be back with photos in a few days.  

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick update- I did a vinegar soak and WOW, did the vinegar get ugly and scummy.  Lots of rust removed, but eventually the entire top surface of the vinegar got a thick floating crust!  That's when I yanked the axe head, brushed off a ton of junk, and realized there was STILL rust underneath on the steel.

It's soaking in fresh vinegar now.  I'll continue to keep you posted.

What should I look for once it's clean?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quick update- I did a vinegar soak and WOW, did the vinegar get ugly and scummy.  Lots of rust removed, but eventually the entire top surface of the vinegar got a thick floating crust!  That's when I yanked the axe head, brushed off a ton of junk, and realized there was STILL rust underneath on the steel.

Mike
View Quote
The heat treat line. Any cracks or damage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike
Got it.

I'm on my third vinegar soak.  Each soak is removing crud, and it's taking longer before the vinegar is 100% ruined with a hard, scummy layer floating on top.  Nearly all of the rust was gone with the second soak, and I can clearly see a heat treat line.  No cracks so far.

One question- within 5 min of taking the head from the vinegar and rinsing it under unaltered tap water, the head begins to rust.  It's almost as quick as black powder!  Should I immediately dunk it into a baking soda and water mix once I'm done with this third soak?  Or should I do something else to stop it from rusting?

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Rinse it well and dry it. Then home it down with WD40 or the oil of your choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top